Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

New Autogen Tech

Nice, this would work well with some parts of USA, we got art assets from six months ago for AZ, NV ,CA. Truth is houses in 1960s were built like this lol. Regional autogen this is just beginning of potential for the future.

Can garages be made to face the driveway.

Spacing rules can it be adjusted.

Nice, this would work well with some parts of USA, we got art assets from six months ago for AZ, NV ,CA. Truth is houses in 1960s were built like this lol. Regional autogen this is just beginning of potential for the future.

Can garages be made to face the driveway.
Spacing rules can it be adjusted.

Indeed, there is already lots of artwork inside world-models which need annotating, etc.

Regarding garages. Yes, have a look closely at the screenshots. The houses have a back and front side, the front always faces the street, so you could also easily add a garage to the side of the house and it would work. I'll do some more artwork when I get a chance for single houses for richer people who live further out from the town which nearly always include a garage or shed/outhouse.

Also, yes you can control the spacing. When you define an autogen tile, you say how big it is, so you can increase/decrease the spacing easily. 

Exactly what I was hoping to achieve, especially if you can use OSM to place those autogen buildings on the correct location.

I am no fan of facades, they do not look realistic at all, except from very high.

Wow Tony this is looking amazing. Hope it all comes together as it will make a huge difference to realism. Thanks for your dedication - do you ever get time to fly?

cheers

Peter

Well, this seriously complicates my approaching decision on whether to switch to XPlane or P3D. This, in a word, is incredible, Tony.

Hope it all comes together as it will make a huge difference to realism. Thanks for your dedication - do you ever get time to fly?

Actually, I consider the scenery making thing part of the hobby for me, it's quite addictive, but I still get a little bit of time :smile:, but I find when I'm flying/simming I end up taking screenshots and finding things to fix. However, I've certainly underestimated how hard it is to create 3D models for the autogen, and understand why it's been a slow process for LR. I created two detached bungalow houses and it's taken me a good few hours to get them looking correct (although I had to reduce the texture resolution I used for performance)

Alabeo_R66_1.jpg

I've also added in what I've called hotspots. W2XP will make one pass over the OSM file and find out where all the towns, villages, hamlets, cities etc are and build a hotspot map. It then uses this information to change the scenery in subtle ways, e.g. you are unlikely to see small bungalows in a town centre just as much as you are unlikely to see a highrise block in a small English village. As in the above screenshot, it gradually changes the building styles as you move out from the centre of town (artwork pending)

Alabeo_R66_2.jpg

Alabeo_R66_3.jpg

Of course, I still need more artwork for the actual town/city centre buildings, e.g. terraced houses as well retail/shops etc.. But once all this logic is working, it should be easy enough to remap the artwork for different countries without any expensive scenery rebuilds (i.e. Generate the country and as new artwork becomes available, there won't be any need to redownload or regenerate the scenery, one would simply need to update world-models to get the changes).

Well, this seriously complicates my approaching decision on whether to switch to XPlane or P3D. This, in a word, is incredible, Tony.

:smile: thanks. As I've always said, just use both, both sims are great to use and shine in different areas.

Tony

This is awesome! Jaw droppingly good. As you know, I am doing a YouTube series on improving the look of X-Plane called 'XPlane - Ultra-Realism for FREE'.  I'd LOVE to include some reference to this work you're doing, for a number of reasons:

a. It's excellent!

b. The area I am working with, Jersey in the Channel Islands, has poor OSM coverage Both major conurbations on the island are poorly described for residential properties such as those you exhibit here.

Feel free to ping me off-line. Be great to hear from you.

--

FSProUK aka MrCobolman on YouTube

I'd LOVE to include some reference to this work you're doing, for a number of reasons:

a. It's excellent!
  b. The area I am working with, Jersey in the Channel Islands, has poor OSM coverage Both major conurbations on the island are poorly described for residential properties such as those you exhibit here.

The is one of the reasons I've done the" autogen merged with real data" approach. Some areas have very poor coverage, I'd estimate only about half of the UK has woodland mapped, and as for buildings, the number is very low, only very large bulidings are done and some of the city centres (This situation is even worse in places like Spain, the US, etc..). This option allows users to either a) Quickly make their town/village appear if it doesn't already in X-Plane by a quick edit in OSM, or b) Map their entire village or street in as much detail as they want. If they find the autogen too unrealistic or badly placed then they can edit OSM and add the real buildings and the autogen will be merged with the real data, etc.. e.g. In Jersey if a user sees terraced buildings where there should be single houses, they can edit OSM and add the houses in. 

Can't believe I saw this post just now......

Incredible!!

Could you please show some more pics but this time are EGLL? as even there OSM (building wise) is really lack , I wonder how it actually fits around heathrow.

Could you please show some more pics but this time are EGLL? as even there OSM (building wise) is really lack , I wonder how it actually fits around heathrow.

Sure, here you go:

Cessna_172_SP_1.jpg

Cessna_172_SP_2.jpg

Cessna_172_SP_3.jpg

Seems to fit in quite nicely, but having never flown into Heathrow I don't know how realistic this looks. This is using RC Simulations UK VFR photoscenery. It's also tried to blend it into the little OSM data that is there.

Just amazing. Is this autogen tech going to be in 0.7?

And, I know this is 'the question that must never be asked', but do you have a rough ETA for 0.7...?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Just amazing. Is this autogen tech going to be in 0.7?

And, I know this is 'the question that must never be asked', but do you have a rough ETA for 0.7...?

I am against anymore W2XP's NO MORE 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus