Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

Clouds kill FPS in 2.5

Yes, the title is dangerously close to the well known "Clouds kill FPS in 2.3", but I've noticed this in 2.5 as well. Even with unticked "enhance overcast conditions" in ASN and medium cloud coverage density set within P3D, my FPS is cut in half when flying through clouds. Noticed it yesterday when flying out of Stockholm Arlanda in the NGX at dusk. Fair weather with only some clouds in the air. However, when breaking into the first cloud FPS dropped from 35-40 to 13-15. 

If ASN simulates overcast and rain/snow, then I can forget about flying - even in a default GA. However, if I run one of the weather themes such as "major thunderstorm" or "heavy snow" with a lot of clouds, FPS is stable and only drops a few digits. Why is it that the equal weather simulated by ASN eats up FPS then? 

Does this sounds familiar to anyone else, or is it mainly connected to my medium 760 GTX? +i7 4770K 4,4 ghz

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm running a 4770K at 4.6 GHz and a GTX 780. I also see decreasing fps in clouds but not as bad as you. A rough guess would be a 30% decrease in performance. For me it's not a big issue because when I fly through the clouds I'm mostly on autopilot so that the decreasing performance is not an issue.

I can't fly with clouds either. Whether it's ASN or Opus, it doesn't matter. Opus is a bit better but it becomes slideshow anyway. Say I am flying above vast wilderness of Alaska, when I activate weather engine and if it's a bad weather, my fps dips to 8-9 fps from 60 fps. I can't even fly on Alaska, can't imagine how I can fly through cities. I have gtx680 and I know it's a mediocre card, but it shouldn't be that bad even with this card. I am not using NI, so it's not heavy SGSS settings causing this. I have only one monitor (32 inch TV with a 1080p resolution) and I am using lowest possible resolution of clouds from Rex. Big mystery.

I started to see this and it got bad.

I set NI back to default and use in Sim 4xSGSS. All is fine again and I see no hit.

When I say default, I have global to power= max performance, texture's the best setting. 

I started to see this and it got bad.

I set NI back to default and use in Sim 4xSGSS. All is fine again and I see no hit.

When I say default, I have global to power= max performance, texture's the best setting. 

Hm, thing is II don't use SGSS at all. Only 2x MSAA within P3D. Surprisingly, I can read all gauges crystal clear, not in all GA aircraft but in tubeliners like PMDG and Aerosoft.

I have a 3.6GHz 3770K with a 3GB GTX780, so a modest system these days. I pretty much exclusively fly the Aerosoft Airbus and use REX Essential Plus to inject weather. I get a frame drop when going through heavy cloud but nothing that makes it unplayable. I would respectfully suggest that ASN may be the problem...

• Upvote 1

I have a simular setup and dont see that kind of performance issue. Maybe 1-5 fps drop tops.

I have a saved NGX setup in descend through lots of clouds. Will record a video later.

Maybe AA ?

Michael Moe 

I don't fly with any SGSS on and have no cloud issues.  It's all having to do with the way clouds render their AA through SGSS.    SGSS has been a known destroyer of frame rates with heavy cloud coverage.    I notice very little difference with SGSS on or off, other than frame rate so I just run with it off.    I have big fluffy REX 4 Soft Clouds and I don't really need their edges AA'd as they are already big and fluffy without much jaggies anyway.

The sweetFX/ReShade guide recommends SGSS OFF when using P3D.   It's up to LM to fix, not Nvidia according to them and since they are programmers I'll take their word for it.

Bring on the thunderstorms with 8 layers of clouds set at MAX density!  I can take it!  RAR!  *plane crashes*

Sorry I gave wrong info

i only use 4x MSAA in the sim not 4xSGSS me bad, its my age  :rolleyes: 

I stopped using SGSS, and use DSR instead as it has much less of a hit  (I use OPUS and REX soft clouds, so this may be an ASN issue...).

Sorry I gave wrong info

i only use 4x MSAA in the sim not 4xSGSS me bad, its my age  :rolleyes: 

Same here.      FXAA off for me.  4x MSAA.  No SgSS.   ReShade and SweetFX handle my AA problems for the most part without the mangling of the FPS.

I also used to set my AA on 8xSGSS. Have very good framerates but when clouds appeared, frames dropped dramaticaly (from 45 fps avg on PMDG 777 LAX. to 10-15). When flying into the clouds I got as low as 3 fps!

I also used to set my AA on 8xSGSS. Have very good framerates but when clouds appeared, frames dropped dramaticaly (from 45 fps avg on PMDG 777 LAX. to 10-15). When flying into the clouds I got as low as 3 fps!

Yep.  SGSS is a killer when combined with clouds.   If only SGSS would effect everything BUT clouds it would be a good thing.    So.. I'd rather of 8 layers of max cloud coverage out to 90 miles then a little bit of anti-shimmer and softer edges.

I have a simular setup and dont see that kind of performance issue. Maybe 1-5 fps drop tops.

I have a saved NGX setup in descend through lots of clouds. Will record a video later.

Maybe AA ?

Michael Moe 

Hi Michael.

Would you mind sharing your P3D & ASN settings. I have a similar system and I cannot get a smooth result. I have given up pretty much on 2.5 right now and have been enjoying flying in dare I say it "X-Plane" !

Richard

I found that ASN is a major culprit when it comes to sudden drops in FPS, and I'm almost convinced it's to do with with the way it runs sim connect/AS connect. I can start a session in heavy cloud with good FPS, but after 15-20 minutes, with no apparent changes to cloud density, i'll get sudden drops in FPS. I have saved such flights, stopped ASN, and then flew those saved flights literally for hours without those FPS whacks (other scenery-related FPS issues notwithstanding). So what gives?

Then I accidentally stumbled across a "workaround". One day I was scud running a C185 in the ORBX PFJ, nil wind, but getting hammered by turbulence at the same time as getting the stutters and low FPS. Totally unrealistic as far as turbulence, so went into the ASN settings and changed the turbulence effects scale down from the default 70 to 50. The result was no turbulence, and FPS back to what I started with. I thought ... wow! Then 15 minutes later low FPS again ... well there went my theory. But I went into ASN config anyway and reduced the turbulence effects scale again. And bingo, good FPS again. Rinsed and repeated every 15-20 minutes until I ended up at 0. Now what? Well, nothing to loose, so increased the scale. Result: good FPS restored again for a while.

I've since found that changing a config settings in ASN slightly, and forcing it to update P3D will lead to a (temporary) restoration of FPS to values that one ought to expect. Not all settings mind you, but the ones asking you if you want the changes to take effect right away, like the turbulence effect scale. I used to be "afraid" of running into cloud, but since using this workaround I've maxed cloud settings in both P3D and ASN. It's still a nuisance having to do this, especially when it happens in the middle of an approach, but at least it makes flying in weather flyable.

I'd be interested to hear if others can reproduce this. Also, I've never used Opus, but I'd guess it has a similar way of talking to the sim. Not sure whether the weather engines are the culprit, or whether it's P3D, but I still have hope that together they'll fix it one day...

I found that ASN is a major culprit when it comes to sudden drops in FPS, and I'm almost convinced it's to do with with the way it runs sim connect/AS connect. I can start a session in heavy cloud with good FPS, but after 15-20 minutes, with no apparent changes to cloud density, i'll get sudden drops in FPS. I have saved such flights, stopped ASN, and then flew those saved flights literally for hours without those FPS whacks (other scenery-related FPS issues notwithstanding). So what gives?

Then I accidentally stumbled across a "workaround". One day I was scud running a C185 in the ORBX PFJ, nil wind, but getting hammered by turbulence at the same time as getting the stutters and low FPS. Totally unrealistic as far as turbulence, so went into the ASN settings and changed the turbulence effects scale down from the default 70 to 50. The result was no turbulence, and FPS back to what I started with. I thought ... wow! Then 15 minutes later low FPS again ... well there went my theory. But I went into ASN config anyway and reduced the turbulence effects scale again. And bingo, good FPS again. Rinsed and repeated every 15-20 minutes until I ended up at 0. Now what? Well, nothing to loose, so increased the scale. Result: good FPS restored again for a while.

I've since found that changing a config settings in ASN slightly, and forcing it to update P3D will lead to a (temporary) restoration of FPS to values that one ought to expect. Not all settings mind you, but the ones asking you if you want the changes to take effect right away, like the turbulence effect scale. I used to be "afraid" of running into cloud, but since using this workaround I've maxed cloud settings in both P3D and ASN. It's still a nuisance having to do this, especially when it happens in the middle of an approach, but at least it makes flying in weather flyable.

I'd be interested to hear if others can reproduce this. Also, I've never used Opus, but I'd guess it has a similar way of talking to the sim. Not sure whether the weather engines are the culprit, or whether it's P3D, but I still have hope that together they'll fix it one day...

I cannot say I've tried the workaround but I can report that Active Sky NEXT is the ONLY app that the program Process Lasso complains about.    I usually have Process Lasso running in monitor mode when I fly so I can see how smooth the CPU's are working and if a process starts to get out of hand Process Lasso will report on it and show it as a gold strip running down the monitor to time stamp when the event occurred.    ASN has to be restrained several times on a 2 hour flight for me.    Now I don't personally see a loss of performance when this happens but it may be one of the reasons why people running an unbalanced P3D may experience this performance drop when ASN is running full bore.   I have no clue why it has to be restrained but it does.   I don't think I have flown into really bad weather yet when ASN gets restrained so that may be why I have not seen a performance hit yet.  

For me it is usually a combination of factors. I don't use SGSS, I only use 4x MSAA + 2.25 DSR.

Also if I use cloud and terrain shadows + major clouds like Thunderstorm, my GTX980 will crumble.

This sounds very much alike what I'm experiencing. Will test for sure!

If I am correct DSR does not work with a 3 monitor setup in NV Surround.

Changing ASN setting forces ASN to reload weather which you can do in the Tools/Debug window.

You might want to open a ticket at support.hifitechinc.com - they maybe able to find out why your system is affected this way.

I have never seen this behavior in ASN. I have my weather updates at 5 minutes.

Vic

If I am correct DSR does not work with a 3 monitor setup in NV Surround.

It does... I use a resolution of 5980 x 1080 with 3 24" monitors nvidia surround and very happy with DSR & performance

Mmmm... it does not appear in the NV Control panel here when I enable NV Surround....

Only when I disable it.

Ah thought you meant HDR in game, sorry! bit of a skim reading moment... yeah DSR doesnt work with surround atm if you check nvidia forums they say its in the future plan but no eta.