Sign in to follow this  
TheFamilyMan

NickN now gives advise on tuning P3D

So it is not only about the "right" settings it is also about the type of flying one prefers and enjoys IMHO.

Fully agree! And keep making those great videos! I enjoy them very much!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Fully agree! And keep making those great videos! I enjoy them very much!

Thanks Carlo for your kind feedback. Be sure to see some more vids produced by me :) Maybe the NGX gets a second chance some day.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Did another flight in the PMDG 737NGX from Taxi2Gate's Midway KMDW down to Glenn Johnson's KHOU Hobby.  About 2 hours and some change.  This was flown at night.    Set with DENSE Autogen now.   Very smooth flight but again... as I pulled up to the gate to dock... DING DING DING OOM!  AWOOOOOGA!   RUN!  DRAGON!   *villagers screaming as flames spill over the village*

Wait.. what game am I playing again?  Oh.... Anyway...    What ever NickN's guide set that I didn't use to have set, is now producing dings of death.     I guess that Autogen is just a killer.  I'll have to bring it down to Normal on both now and see if I can actually do a two hour flight without having to hear the grim reaper ringing his cowbell in my ear.

You see.. it's this 32 bit OOM BS Shuffle that keeps me from really spending any more money to add-on vendors for stuff like Vector or UTX.   I just KNOW that is going to gum up the works even worse with all that added detail everywhere.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

where is NickN's P3D guide? I only see the FSX one.
Cheers!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

NickN knows absolutely nothing more then anyone else in this community. 

Really ? I'm in this community, and he knows a damned sight more than me.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

ROFLMAO!

That statement just shows how UNINFORMED you are. There have been several people in this community who have been considered "gurus" - NickN is one of them. I suggest you do some serious research so you don't continue to look like an idiot to anyone who has been around a while.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ROFLMAO!

That statement just shows how UNINFORMED you are. There have been several people in this community who have been considered "gurus" - NickN is one of them. I suggest you do some serious research so you don't continue to look like an idiot to anyone who has been around a while.

Vic

Ouch!! I was beginning to wonder when someone would stand up for Nick. I've followed his 'Bible' in FSX and now in P3D and it's done me no harm.

Ouch!! I was beginning to wonder when someone would stand up for Nick. I've followed his 'Bible' in FSX and now in P3D and it's done me no harm.

Hi Rick,

If you look through his documentation, it's rather apparent that he has a deep rooted contempt and dislike for Orbx, other developers too it seems, his "IGNORANT DEVELOPER" list is not limited to just one number. Hence his "Bible" is based on mostly default or Flight1 scenery and doesn't include any tips that would be useful in any way, shape, or form to anyone using any Orbx scenery.

Seeing that many, if not most, FSX and P3D users here have Orbx sceneries, his so-called Bible is irrelevant and obsolete, as using his recommended settings will lead to micro-stutters and OOMs when used in conjunction with such non-default scenery.

Cheers,

Jerome

I disagree. Nick is an extremely well educated and knowledgeable person who unfortunately has a frequently abrasive personality, or at least I find it so...

For all I know others may think he's utterly charming!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Seeing that many, if not most, FSX and P3D users here have Orbx sceneries, his so-called Bible is irrelevant and obsolete, as using his recommended settings will lead to micro-stutters and OOMs when used in conjunction with such non-default scenery.

I use almost exclusively ORBX sceneries, have formally used Nick's Guide in FSX, before switching to Jim's Guide. Added to that, I did use some of his settings for P3D and still using Orbx, have not had any OOMs, stutters, whatever, et al. As far as I am concerned, I'm content.

his so-called Bible is irrelevant and obsolete, as using his recommended settings will lead to micro-stutters and OOMs when used in conjunction with such non-default scenery.

If your system is a weak one then you need to open the control panel that comes with ORBX and untick them all. Nicks bible or any bible wont make a weak system run ORBX....thats just the way it is

ZORAN

I use almost exclusively ORBX sceneries, have formally used Nick's Guide in FSX, before switching to Jim's Guide. Added to that, I did use some of his settings for P3D and still using Orbx, have not had any OOMs, stutters, whatever, et al. As far as I am concerned, I'm content.

All i can say is good luck with using NickN's recommended LOD_RADIUS=6.500000, AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=5, and AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=5 when flying into Orbx's NA and EU sceneries  :lol: 

If your system is a weak one then you need to open the control panel that comes with ORBX and untick them all. Nicks bible or any bible wont make a weak system run ORBX....thats just the way it is

It has nothing to do with system weakness, more so it's an OS memory restriction due to FSX and P3D being 32-bit programs. You can have the fastest CPU and GPU, yet you will still have the same memory restriction and OOM risk as someone with much less powerful hardware. More info on the subject is available here:

http://goo.gl/cBctYt

Tweaked settings that may work with default scenery, will put a much higher load on VAS usage when used with non-default scenery, that's just the way it works. And NickN's recommended settings do just that, they put a very high load on VAS usage in Orbx sceneries, which will almost always result in an OOM.

Cheers,

Jerome

NickN's recommended LOD_RADIUS=6.500000, AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=5, and AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=5

These I did not touch.

All i can say is good luck with using NickN's recommended LOD_RADIUS=6.500000, AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=5, and AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=5 when flying into Orbx's NA and EU sceneries :lol:

These should always be variable. these are the basics and most serious simmers would be aware of that. You have to keep in mind that one size does not fit all.

Any guide is just that, a guide even if its called a bible as we know there are many ways to interpret a bible :lol:

ZORAN

These should always be variable. these are the basics and most serious simmers would be aware of that. You have to keep in mind that one size does not fit all.

Any guide is just that, a guide even if its called a bible as we know there are many ways to interpret a bible :lol:

Spot-on!