Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

FreeMesh X Global 1.0 - Release Announcement

I have FSGlobal 2010 and just installed FreeMesh this weekend.  Did a quick flight around Cape Town and wow it looked fantastic.  Great job, thanks for providing us with this great freeware product.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hello Daniel,

first of all big "thank you" for creating this magnificent project. This is great addition to my FSX experience.

That said, I'm not sure whether this location has already been reported. I notice some "spikes" on the New Zealand South Island in the Fjordland national park region (coordinates in the screenshot are S45 13.34 E167 8.74 heading 189°; this is not the spike location but a good view point on it). 

My previously installed FsGenesis Global Mesh has been disabled for this area, ORBX scenery/mesh is off and upon disabling FreeMeshX Australia / Oceania the spikes disappear (and reappear on re-enabling). So I am pretty sure that the mesh spikes come from the FreeMeshX. 

I would appreciate if you can have a look at that location!

Thanks and best regards,

Markus  

10nm S of EDDS

Ah, New Zealand. I had thought we got away without any artifacts in New Zealand, but it looks there are still some in the source data. Thanks for sharing! That is a new report, and I'm adding these up for a 1.03 patch.

So far for the next patch:

- Fix stair artifacts in western Asia (this one is our fault!)

- Fix terrain anomalies in the source data for: Fiji, Papau New Guinea, and New Zealand

- Fix some spikes and pits in the Himalayas source data.

Well, we tried our best to make sure our source data was error free, but there is just so much of the world to cover that we were bound to miss some areas. With your help, we'll try to locate and fix these areas.

I have FSGlobal 2010 and just installed FreeMesh this weekend.  Did a quick flight around Cape Town and wow it looked fantastic.  Great job, thanks for providing us with this great freeware product.

That's great! Glad you like it!

I do find a lot of difference in India - especially Maharashtra. The mountains show up well now need some Photo Scenery :)

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

As others have echoed  many times already, thank you guys for offering this product, It has enhanced my flying world somewhat.

I have continued to seed the torrents since download, for a total reseed of 310gb of data, so time to turn down the output slightly before my ISP starts to have kittens... 

another spot

mike

Thanks Mike! This is a known issue with an easy solution, and will be issued a fix in 1.03. It's another one of those tiles that was affected by a bad mosaic of LOD10 and resampled LOD9 data. Sometimes the bad mosaic produces stairs on ridges, or gaps in between neighboring tiles. We've already replaced a few in the first two patches. This one, and a few others in Eastern Europe/Western Asia will be replaced in patch 1.03, for a total of 7 tiles, which will be coming soon! That should be the last of them, as we didn't mix in resampled LOD9 data with LOD10 data with other tiles.

As others have echoed  many times already, thank you guys for offering this product, It has enhanced my flying world somewhat.

I have continued to seed the torrents since download, for a total reseed of 310gb of data, so time to turn down the output slightly before my ISP starts to have kittens... 

Wow, thank you so much. That is more than I could ever ask. You definitely helped everyone out.

My turn to say Thank You!

You've done a wonderful job, and that's followed up by your excellent support!

Patch 1.03 is going through final testing. This will be a major patch (our largest to date). We're aiming for a release this weekend.

- Major fixes for source artifacts in the Himalayas, New Zealand, Fiji, and Papau New Guinea

- Repaired tiles for Eastern Europe and Western Asia. Fixes seam issues between tiles and stairstep artifacts.

Estimated to be nearly 3 GB in size. Will distribute through torrent and MediaFire. Thanks for your patience guys!

Estimated to be nearly 3 GB in size. Will distribute through torrent and MediaFire.

Daniel, thanks for the amazing effort you are putting into this! I only currently use your Europe mesh; is there any way I could just download the files that apply to that rather than everything in the upcoming patch (I have quite a slow Internet connection)?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Daniel, thanks for the amazing effort you are putting into this! I only currently use your Europe mesh; is there any way I could just download the files that apply to that rather than everything in the upcoming patch (I have quite a slow Internet connection)?

If you use the torrent method you can select which individual files you wish to download. You can compare the files you have installed in the Europe folder to whats in the torrent package and only get the ones you need.

If you use the torrent method you can select which individual files you wish to download. You can compare the files you have installed in the Europe folder to whats in the torrent package and only get the ones you need.

Precisely! Torrents are really handy!

Hello Daniel,

once more, thanks again, this time for your great support.

I have another image to show, but I am not exactly sure whether this is a real issue. Anyway, the terrain near SLLP (La Paz) looked suspicious to me and indeed, when comparing it to the terrain in Google Earth, it looks different.

I'll just let the picture speak for itself - I've marked three areas with red arrows. To me, it looks like there is a step slope where it does not belog to or - for the mountain peak in the background - there seems to be missing something. See yourself.

SLLP_Terrain2.png

For comparision, roughly the same view in Google Earth:

SLLP_GoogleEarth.png

Sure, this is something different than a spike and in most of the flights over this area, no one will ever notice. Besides I am not 100% whether is a real issue. I would just appreciate if you can have a look at the area and drawn your own conclusion.

Thanks a lot,

Markus

Best regards,

Markus Vitzethum ("ps1flyer")

Sure, this is something different than a spike and in most of the flights over this area, no one will ever notice. Besides I am not 100% whether is a real issue. I would just appreciate if you can have a look at the area and drawn your own conclusion.

Thanks a lot,

Markus

I'll do a comparison with coarser data and see what we get! If there is a major difference, we may be able to patch this up.

Patch 1.03 released!

Thank you for seeding everyone! Bandwidth is such a large expense for a project of this magnitude, so thank you for embracing the bit Torrent option. It was designed to facilitate the movement of large datasets like FreeMeshX, so thank you for taking advantage of it and donating some of your bandwidth in return.

Patch 1.03 is not cumulative!! You will need 1.01 and 1.02 below.

Patch 1.01: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467933-freemesh-x-global-10-release-announcement/page-13#entry3233580

Patch 1.02: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467933-freemesh-x-global-10-release-announcement/page-16#entry3234656

Patch Description

This patch replaces the remaining faulty tile mosaics in Western Asia and Eastern Europe, and fixes source data artifacts in remote areas -- Fiji, Papau New Guineau, Himalayas, and New Zealand fjords. This is a rather major patch (3.3 GB), and affects several FreeMeshX regions - Asia, Europe, and Oceania, hence its large size.

A number of issues are fixed. The most apparent are seam issues between neighboring tiles and stair-step artifacts in Eastern Europe and Western Asia. These artifacts simply occur because of faulty mosaics of LOD10 tiles that are mixed with resampled LOD9 data. The mosaic program has had issues with this, and the fix is relatively simple and straightforward. This patch replaces the remaining mosaics that mixes LOD10 and resampled LOD9 data, and makes up the bulk of this patch.

Some data holes, pits, and spikes were present in the source data. This patch removes these artifacts, greatly cleaning up the affected regions (Fiji, Papau New Guineau, Himalayas, and New Zealand fjords). Other such artifacts are probably still present in FreeMeshX, and we'll work to quell them when we find them.

Installation
Inside the FreeMeshX - 1.03 Patch folder you will find the FreeMeshX - Patches folder.

The FreeMeshX - Patches folder will be the future folder for all corrected terrain tiles. This folder needs to be added to the scenery library with a higher priority over all FreeMeshX regions. In other words, the terrain files in this folder will be loaded last to correct any faulty tiles in the 1.0 release.

For disk storage conscious users, an alternative method is to replace the older tiles with the patched versions. This should not create any problems; however, if you are seeding, please the special note below.

Special note to seeders: If you are seeding your FreeMeshX installation directly, please do not overwrite the old tiles with the corrected versions. The torrent will not like that, and will reject your seed. Add the patch files into their own library entry, e.g. FreeMeshX - Patches, and then prioritize it over all FreeMeshX regions.

List of replacement tiles by region.

• Europe : N40E020, N50E30
  • Asia      : N40E070, N40E080, N50E030, N50E040, N050E50, N50E060, N50E070, N50E080
  • Oceania: S10E130,S10E140 (Papau New Guineau)

Area patches (smaller in size). These must go in the FreeMeshX - Patches folder:

• a_fiji_01 - a_fiji_05
  • a_himalayas_01 - a_himalayas_02
  • a_k2_01
  • a_newzealand_01 - a_newzealand_02

Hypothetical relative scenery library order:
1 FreeMeshX - Patches
2 FreeMeshX - Africa
3 FreeMeshX - Antarctica
4 FreeMeshX - Asia
5 FreeMeshX - Australia and Oceania
6 FreeMeshX - Europe
7 FreeMeshX - North America
8 FreeMeshX - South and Central America

Of course, your real load order will be different, but you must keep the FreeMeshX - Patches library entry above the FreeMeshX regions.

I've been frequently asked on where to add these in the scenery library. The answer is: It's up to you. I would keep them before any ORBX regions and after your stock scenery. That's about all the advice we can give you since everyone's library is so different.

Download (491 MB)

Torrent

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8zk3417i5arcwgg

MediaFire Direct Download

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tv8g7kr7rhqfbbk

Instructions for Multiple-Part MediaFire Downloads

For HTML downloads, it is safer to divide the downloads into smaller segments to prevent corruption during download. For FreeMeshX, the max size for any file is 4.38 GB which the capacity of a single layer DVD. It seems some people are confused in the original instructions on how to extract all the parts correctly. It is much simpler than you think.

For example, let's take Asia as an example. It is 13.3 GB, so it is divided into 4 files.

AmxcoP5.jpg

All four volumes are part of one package. To extract, all you have to do (with 7-Zip) is extract the .001 file. By doing so, all the volumes extract seamlessly automatically. You CANNOT extract the other .002, .003, .004 volumes. Only extract the .001 volume.

To illustrate, let's look at the 7ZIP File Manager as we open the .001 file. Notice, how the size of the folder is 14 323 168 371 bytes (or 13.3 GB). That is the sum of all four parts.

XyXowtp.jpg

All you have to do now is just extract once.

7rWAujx.jpg

Once it finishes, you are done. It really is that simple.

License: You may use and share this work, as long as original credit is given to the authors: Daniel Moser and David Esnouf. No commercialization of this work or derivative works is allowed.
Full license here: http://creativecommo...d/4.0/legalcode

Thank you once again. Enjoy.

-- Nine-Two Productions

43HIdH2.png