Sign in to follow this  
jzimmermann

Fantastic New Driving Simulation - Project Cars

The last time I got bitten by the driving bug was when Gran Turismo 5 was released for the PS3.

I've been following the previews for Project Cars in recents months and was eager to see it running on my own gaming rig.

For anyone interested, here is a short video I made using ShadowPlay:

http://goo.gl/39klnH

Oh and I fly a lot better on a PC than I drive  :lol:

Cheers,

Jerome

project_cars_sauber7fuq6.png

Nice, might need a new paint job after that run :rolleyes:

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin.

I spent an hour this morning trying to get my PS3 controller working with Project Cars on the PC, as I didn't really want to use my Thrustmaster stick for steering. The steering is still way too sensitive, hence the paint job requirement  :rolleyes:

The attention to detail in this driving sim is terrific, the sounds among the best I've experienced in a driving sim. I detected no performance hit when driving solo or with lots of cars around me. I'll update the post with some Le Mans track action later on this evening.

Cheers,

Jerome

I'm running PCars on PS4 and had to make some adjustments to the gamepad in the controller settings to get it feeling nice as it was quite twitchy out of the box. Now it's pretty good and I'm enjoying driving with it. I have TM wheel but it's nice just to pick up the DualShock and drive. :)

Fantastic on what? In the previous years we had tons of good games graphic wise. But does it have any improvement for the simulation?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

For realistic physics junkies there is Assetto Corsa, with laser scanned tracks, especially Nordschliefe! But Assetto Corsa lacks good sound,and sense of speed = bad immersion. Also AI is not the best and also online is still like a beta. pCARS lacks ultra realistics physics (but it's still quite good and enjoyable), but beats AC in AI, good races, online and especially immersion - awesome sound and sense of speed. Last night I had an utterly brilliant race in GT4 class on Spa with 19 AI grid, and possibly the best AI race experience I had in my 10 or more racing on a  PC experience, and that's something.

I said that physics in pCARS is not that realistic, but for me is more enjoyable than AC, possibly because of a brilliant immersion. Physics is smooth, Gran Turismo like (so called semi-sim) which is a perfect for casual gamers and hard core simmers.

One tip: try to drive night race on Le Mans, or even with rain, brutal visual and driving experience.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Fantastic on what? In the previous years we had tons of good games graphic wise. But does it have any improvement for the simulation?

Ciao Francesco,

Fantastic because I find it absolutely riveting and it makes me drool more than my neighbours Rottweiler  :lol:

No seriously, I usually decide within a few minutes if I find a game or sim appealing, which will kind of coerce me into spending more time with it, and the appeal will fade or grow, depending on just how good the overall package is. 

Let’s see, what do I find attractive about Project Cars so far:

Installed with both 32- and 64-bit versions available

The GUI

Spoken interface comments to aid selection 

Availability of cars and circuits (I do miss Ferrari though)

Attention to detail (leaves, exhaust fumes, etc.)

Customization possibilities

Graphic fidelity

Fluidity on my system

Lighting is outstanding

Sound is superb

Level of immersion is brilliant

Best AI I have come across in recent years

Look and feel of the replay feature

Real sense of speed

I really liked Assetto Corsa when I first fired it up, I did find it too sterile though.

Below are links to some more videos I just finished uploading.   

Cheers,

Jerome

http://goo.gl/ug5QN4

project_cars_le_mans_v1um0.png

http://goo.gl/RrTTrp

project_cars_le_mans_5coaw.png

I haven't played car games since rFactor so i am a little out of the loop, but i saw a lot of games with good graphics but also easier driving. So that's what i was wondering about the most :)

Thanks for the detailed answers!

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I have already chosen the race simulator that I want. and that is Assetto Corsa. The best physics engine that I have ever experienced in a racesim, and that is the single most important aspect to me. I haven't tried pCars, but I am the kind of person that sticks with one sim of a particular type (P3D for flight simulation, and Assetto Corsa for race simulation).

For the record, I use a Logitech G27 wheel for driving on the PC.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Christopher,

I agree that Assetto Corsa has an absolutely superb physics engine. Unless you like belting around a track on your own though, the AI to me is key in being able to deliver an immersive experience void of any realism killing hiccups made by other drivers around me. If you are really into Assetto Corsa then I recommend you don't give Project Cars a miss, as it really has a lot to offer.

And thanks for the headsup on the G27 wheel....if I buy anymore equipment I will need an extra spare room for all my sim controllers though, my desk is becoming way too small  :lol:

Cheers,

Jerome

Using a good wheel with Assetto really makes a difference, the feedback is incredible, almost like actually driving. I don't think it can be topped tbh but I'll certainly be more interested in looking at user feedback and videos of Pcars now.

Using a good wheel with Assetto really makes a difference, the feedback is incredible, almost like actually driving. I don't think it can be topped tbh but I'll certainly be more interested in looking at user feedback and videos of Pcars now.

What is your recommendation for a good wheel, I'm thinking of looking into this?

Thanks - Martin

Picked this up as well, and frankly having a blast - it's a great break from flight-simming while I build my new PC for FSX.  There are tons of "fanbois and haters" out there on both sides of the opinion fence for this title, so I ignore them all and just marvel at the sense of immersion and speed I get running Spa - Is Pcars the best thing since sliced bread? Probably not, and it's not the racing-sim masterwork that Gran Prix Legends is (even now), but the hell with all that - I am grinning ear to ear... 

...it's been so long since I raced that I still have and use my Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel - talk about "old school"... :P

Is that an old Sauber that you are driving? That is one amazing sim. May have to pick that up. WOW is the only word that comes to mind that I can post.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

I wish someone would make a realistic driving Sim that was open world....

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.