Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

Looks like REX has released Weather Architect.

Woke up this morning and found that REX has released their latest product. Sorry, I can't post links here I guess.

Bob G.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This looks very nice.

I'm going to wait a bit and see FPS reports but if what they say is true (only loads once and that's it) then this will be a winner in so many ways :)

So this is "draw your own weather" or "pick a weather theme" rather than live/historical weather?

Yes.

Weather Direct will be the next thing - that is `live` weather download 

Ok, thanks for confirming.  Think I'll pass, life is too short to design weather systems.....

Roll on Weather Direct!

@PaulGR. As a beta tester I can confirm the FPS are no problem, and yes, once the weather has loaded that's it.

Bob G.

I agree, one thing about weather is it is unpredictable, by creating it you are taking that away and know exactly what you have created, not realistic.

ASN pretty much has weather systems covered for me with REX4 textures.

Great to see this ... It will bring further competition into the sim, we all benefit from that :)

Interesting. I create weather all of the time during LOFT in FFS. Would be nice to have some level of control other than pick a random Wx in MSFS.

I thought this was the competition to other weather engines that provide live/historical weather until I read the product description. Guess it's geared more towards folks who like to create videos or maybe practice flying in specific conditions.

Looking forward to what game-changers Weather Direct would bring to the table.

I agree, one thing about weather is it is unpredictable, by creating it you are taking that away and know exactly what you have created, not realistic.

While I do agree with you, one of the reasons they mention is if you're flying multiplayer and want everyone to be synced up with what they see weather-wise. For that, it's a good idea.

Also, say you want to practice landing with a 12 knot crosswind in light snow with a certain cloud coverage. Stuff like that it could be useful for (granted, also possible to do with ASN)

I'm in two minds over whether (sorry!) I should pick it up or not. I'll wait for some reviews/videos first. Looking forward to Weather Direct too!

I'll pass on this, and let the "weather creation" up to God.  FSX is supposed to be "as real as it gets", so I'll use real weather as it is right now.

Stan

Well I think its a nice product

Pros - clouds look better for some reason as its not a texture update - lots of weather effects going on even noticed while its raining rain sound got more intense as you take off compared to standing still - load up a user theme and flight plan is all ready loaded into your aircraft - very nice - very immersive

Cons - Tried one user theme and it crashes p3d (consistently) - tried another it was fine so that will be hit or miss - there will be stutters in vc mostly (spot not bad) - had to turn cloud distance way down and cloud amount - still looks fine but helps a lot with performance ( full screen mode is better than wide view to help with stutters) - now all that said there is a lot going on with these themes so understandable why there is a bit of performance hit

All and All its a nice purchase - another thought is first thing I noticed is this is mostly used to create stormy situations - not sure how to create a scenario thats more subtle as the painting area is basically rain  - maybe I am missing something

Hi Rich. Not sure what you mean by this. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Bob G.

@PaulGR. As a beta tester I can confirm the FPS are no problem, and yes, once the weather has loaded that's it.

Bob G.

So if I load the weather prior to leaving LAX and fly to JFK my weather at JFK will be 6 or 7 hours out of date? Not sure if I understand that? Sounds like it would be great for IFR training where you can create a particular weather situation and keep flying it until you get it right?

Martin

Hi Rich. Not sure what you mean by this. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Bob G.

Not sure how much clearer I can make it Bob

Hi Martin. The weather will be exactly as you painted it for your flight plan or a certain area you want to create weather. Time has nothing to do with WA. Once you create that weather theme or weather theme with flight plan, it will be saved. You may fly it or share it in the community themes. If you fly multiplayer, you both can load that theme and fly in the same weather that you created for that theme.

Bob G.

So if I load the weather prior to leaving LAX and fly to JFK my weather at JFK will be 6 or 7 hours out of date? Not sure if I understand that? Sounds like it would be great for IFR training where you can create a particular weather situration and keep flying it until you get it right?

Martin

No weather is created from start to end by maker - if you load a community theme they have made the flight plan and all of the different weather along the way - you control everything - I 'm not good at creation portion thats why I will continue to use created themes which is cool as the flights and airports are all ready determined

Sorry Rich. I am not clear about your last paragraph. I have I:E 11 and can't copy and paste in certain forums.

Bob G.

Hi Martin. The weather will be exactly as you painted it for your flight plan or a certain area you want to create weather. Time has nothing to do with WA. Once you create that weather theme or weather theme with flight plan, it will be saved. You may fly it or share it in the community themes. If you fly multiplayer, you both can load that theme and fly in the same weather that you created for that theme.

Bob G.

Okay, understand now, thanks!

Cheers

Martin

No weather is created from start to end by maker - if you load a community theme they have made the flight plan and all of the different weather along the way - you control everything - I 'm not good at creation portion thats why I will continue to use created themes which is cool as the flights and airports are all ready determined

Thanks Rich, understand it better now!

Cheers

Martin

Sorry Rich. I am not clear about your last paragraph. I have I:E 11 and can't copy and paste in certain forums.

Bob G.

"All and All its a nice purchase - another thought is first thing I noticed is this is mostly used to create stormy situations - not sure how to create a scenario thats more subtle as the painting area is basically rain  - maybe I am missing something"

Hi yah Bob what I mean is in the menu system the painting selections are all variations of rain - I would like to see the option to paint just different kinds of clouds without rain maybe you can and I dont know how

@Rich. It's up to the person creating the theme. You may select rain, storms, snow, winds, fog etc. as the base for your theme. You then go to the cell setting for that theme and you have many options as to wind, clouds etc. I wish I could post a link but if you go to REX's home page or the forum, the user manual is available for  download free.

Hope that helps Rich.

Bob G.

@Rich. It's up to the person creating the theme. You may select rain, storms, snow, winds, fog etc. as the base for your theme. You then go to the cell setting for that theme and you have many options as to wind, clouds etc. I wish I could post a link but if you go to REX's home page or the forum, the user manual is available for  download free.

Hope that helps Rich.

Bob G.

Ah thanks Bob forgot about cell setting - dah

What's the state of the art weather these days in FSX?

Did they finally overcome this age-old bug (or limitation) that it was virtually impossible to render a thick deck of stratus clouds sitting say 200' AGL (ceiling) above the airport with visibility below at 1/2 SM and absolutely clear weather above the clouds? Is it doable these days? Is it doable in P3D or X-Plane? I admit I haven't used any of these sims in a very long time.