Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Upgrade now or wait for 2.6?

Hello all! I've been sitting on my 2.3 to 2.4 upgrade with the patch since 2.4 came out, which happened to be just a few days after going from 2.2 to 2.3. That was 3 installs in short succession, including the 1.4 to 2.2 jump, so when 2.5 appeared I was less than excited about pulling the trigger and doing it all over again. I know that a few of you get it done in a few hours, cheers, it takes a few days for me to finish the task. I have enjoyed this install very much except for one small mistake that I made which has only affected one airport during takeoff, KVNY by FTX. This post is not really about that but if it were not for this one issue, I would just as well stay put for now. I had ran the airport installer for P3D, not V2. When I tried to uninstall it, I created a texture kaleidoscope which took a minute to fix. Finally the triple installer arrived and all was well, except that when taking off, my aircraft freezes for 2-3 seconds. There is still something wrong there that I couldn't fix (this happens nowhere else). I have now grown very interested in flying on Pilot Edge and LA Artcc and doing their offered ratings. I would like KVNY to be a big part of that. My dilemma though, is do I wait for 2.6 or do it now. Will there even be a 2.6? I have a feeling that 3.0 will be out sooner rather than later. Feeling like...."Mr. McLees would you like paper or plastic?....Mr. McLees?.....Sir?"

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jimmy, I am waiting for 2.6 since I don't have P3d loaded on my PC. I bought it when 2.0 v came out and this January I deleted it just because had other things going at that time. I was with FSX since 2006 but I like P3d better (just my opinion). Don't know when 2.6 v will be out though? Maybe soon.

No one knows when v2.6 will be released - except Lockheed Martin.

Which will be the day after I install 2.5! :lol:

Which will be the day after I install 2.5! :lol:

Me too!

I am also still on 2.4...

Yep, still on 2.4 myself! Everything seems to work fine for me so will wait until the next update or Win10/DirectX12 which ever comes first, but I'm in no hurry!

hello,

I am still on 2.4 too. I don't like the upgrade process which is by no means transparent as it should be. 

I will upgrade when a quantum improvement is released....

You're going to need to bite the bullet at some point since the file directory structure is a bit different.  Personally, I would rip that band aid off now and be set for future upgrades.

No, I trust that P3D V3.0 isnt too far away. Or let me put it the other way around: I havent heard of any improvement in 2.5 that makes me think "I have to do it".

I predict that there will not be a version 2.6. The next version will be 3.0.

My gut instinct tells me that there will be one final tweek of V2, probably nothing earth shattering, then V3 DirectX 12 end of year or Q1 16. I would welcome a DirectX 12 Windows 10 sim that does NOT break compatibility with the great add-ons that we presently have. Some of my favorites are fairly new. Like many, I am anxiously awaiting 64 bit. If I had my druthers, a 64 bit V4 would release very soon after V3, breaking compatibility, but be developed in parallel with a 32 bit V3.

My suspicion is not only will v3 need a clean install, it will probably need a clean install of the W10 OS, or at least a near-install.

I see no prospect of v3 happening until several months into a stable W10 environment, so imminent arrival of Windows 10 is no indication of the imminent following of a new version of P3D.

I go with Jimmy but as a Q1/Q2 2016 arrival - it will be a fresh purchase for all.

On that basis, unless you have the senile old goat of FSX to fall back on, why not install 2.5 ? You know you will get months and months of use and you're back on track with support as L-M only supports the current version.

I'm not aware of any version 2.6 ... I am aware of a version 3.0 (and a few other things) ;)

Cheers, Rob.

So things we should be excited about...or more than excited Rob?! That's all you need to say...

Thanks Robb, made my decision easy! Looking very forward to a week 1 install of V3.0.

Well, I guess Rob answered the single question I need to know, for now.

Not sure how to feel about V3. I'm sure it will break all of the addons that I've plowed so much money into... and getting developers to update their work (especially scenery) is difficult as it is...

Not sure how to feel about V3. I'm sure it will break all of the addons that I've plowed so much money into... and getting developers to update their work (especially scenery) is difficult as it is..

So stay with 2.5?

I'm really sorry but I don't get this and it's getting extremely tiresome. "Lockheed Martin should not advance their product to take advantage of newer technology because if they do my airports will break!!!!111SHIFT+!" Just stop and think about it for a second.

Nobody (not even Lockheed Martin) is forcing you to upgrade to V3 as and when it arrives.

This industry, is one of the only industries I know of where developers have been making a small fortune off people for almost 10 years developing for a static platform. A few months ago, Lockheed Martin released a hotfix for Prepar3D and I saw a (high profile, unnamed) developer post along the lines of 'this constant updating is getting a bit annoying as it means we have to update our addons so they work with the new version'. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

After V3 drops, there's going to be an optional 64bit version of Prepar3D. Then we'll separate the wheat from the chaff... ;)

I'm not aware of any version 2.6 ... I am aware of a version 3.0 (and a few other things) ;)

Cheers, Rob.

So what your saying is P3d V3 will be here in 4 months and will be 64 bit   :o  :o   :o   You heard it first right here  :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry but I don't get this and it's getting extremely tiresome.

Whoa there buddy. Can't fault you for reading my words but my intent was totally different: no one's more excited about flightsim's future than I and especially with a lot of the new tech that hopefully makes it into coming iterations of P3D, X-Plane, or who-knows-what. However, you can't blame someone for looking at their entire catalog of payware and hoping at least some of it can carry into the future.

I'm thinking dual operating systems on my rig with Windows 10 and V3 on a separate SSD. Please, anyone who knows of a complication this may create, feel free to chime in. I want to use "all" of my current add-ons and I don't care if I need two versions to do it.

Rob, do you know if is there any hotfix planned for 2.5 before 3.0 comes out?

Whoa there buddy.

Greg, I didn't mean it personally. There's a fairly large thread here on AVSIM discussing the future of P3D and a good number of the participants are basically saying that they don't want to see any kind of advancement for FSX (BS aside, P3D is the (spiritual) successor of FSX) Look at how the home PC market is advancing. Huge leaps in GPU technology, Voice Recognition is getting better all the time. Virtual Reality with the Oculus Rift is about to cause a massive shakeup with how people interact with entertainment.

For the flight sim community, the biggest form of disruptive technology is whether we get a 64bit version or not and the fact that the community isn't embracing this with all it's heart is ridiculous.

Spent $1000 on airports, airplanes, gps units and scenery? nice! How long do you expect them to be compatible with future versions? 5 years? 50 years? How many versions of Windows have you bought? How many Intel CPUs?

A big part of the problem is high profile FSX developers who seem to be willing the 64bit not to happen, as it means they have to spend time and money updating addons (remember, they haven't had to do this for years) this negativity trickles down first to the diehard customers of that developer, then to the community as a whole.

Like I said, 64bit will separate the wheat from the chaff and there's an awful lot of chaff floating about.

Lol, nothing like a glimmer of something amazing to bring out the best in everyone , kappa ?

Ebs is right (if I live up'norf I'd take you for a beer sometime). If you read the interview on AirDailyX, the man from LM states that 64bit will break add-ons. Now, the fixes may be small and not a huge effort, but they will break. LM will have to just live with that, and we will have to "put up and shutup" if you will. I.e, upgrade, or don't.

My problem is, is that some developers will release a fix and that will be that. Others, mentioning no names, will probably make you buy it, full price, yet again. This is just the same as the P3D version of you're choice of add-on, and you're FSX add-on that you purchased. Some released a free new download. Others didn't.

We, as consumers, don't have a big spade to dig with this. We can stick with, or move. And it's the developers who make the decision on if we pay for that or not. But, it will happen. The train is at full speed and going through that station.

Sooner we have that 64bit version the better. Some will moan, others will migrate. That's that