Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

So once again we have this "division" between simmers and gamers, a sim and a game, and a PC and a console. That is too bad.

Division is a good thing in many cases, some basic examples:

Male/Female - Impossible to procreate without the differences of both  & electrical/plumbing connections which are good things.

Cop/Robber

Good/Evil

Humans/Animals

Animals/Plants

And how about cell division which is vital as well. Division in Math is a good thing when called for.

It is very good when these things are different and divided and there is NO grey area about the differences.

To divide Flight Simulation and todays Gaming is a good idea. Just look at what kinds of games are being released: "I am Bread" $12.99??

You speak of division that is designed to cause violence among people, I speak of division between gaming and flight simulation that is necessary for flight simulation to move on from stagnation.

Sage advice for these types of announcements:

"Keep Calm and Carry On"

:smile:

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

What's the difference between a sim and a game?

What's the difference between a simmer and a gamer?

What's the difference between a PC and a console?

I'll add a new one from Obi Won:

What's the difference between a professional user and a casual user?

I'll give you a clue to the answer: It starts with the letter n and ends with a g.

That;s a tough one. Can I get an extra letter?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Bert,

You may buy a vowel.

I'll give you a clue to the answer: It starts with the letter n and ends with a g.

Nesting?

I'll have the vowel please. I understand a penguin would give 'nesting' as the answer. I doubt that's right though.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

nada  :Whistle:

To divide Flight Simulation and todays Gaming is a good idea.

No matter how good or bad you think it is, It is not going to happen.

[...]

Not gaming :lol:

No I am sorry but everyone is out but Bert. He'll be out soon because he never said what vowel he would like to buy.

For those of you out, you must immediately reinstall Windows XP because your privacy will be fully protected then, and you must re-install FS95 because we know that FS95 is a sim, for simmers, only for a PC, and for casual users only. 

Okay, I patiently read every single post in this thread (And boy, are my fingers tired! Ba-da-bing!), and I will now issue my own input to this very important topic. I have spent a small fortune on my own desktop PC in order to fly FSX. And right now, it is working splendidly!  I don't have a home cockpit, but I had to buy a powered USB hub to handle all of the peripherals.

Somewhere along the line, P3D came about, and I was tempted enough to install their demo. Nice, but at the time it didn't match what I had in FSX. And then as it progressed, it grew too expensive to move to. At $200 for the sim, which was still 32-bit, and then very expensive replacements for my PMDG fleet and others, it just didn't seem worthwhile to port over.

And now with all of this hoopla about Dovetail and the X-Box and Win 10, and...and...and... I have decided that I will stay with my very acceptable FSX SE (with DX10) and keep my old fleet with all of the add-ons, until...

Until a true 64-bit flight simulator is released, at which time I will buy a bigger, better, faster desktop with overclocking, water cooling, terrabytes of SS drive space and 64 Gb of fast RAM and several SLI video cards and monitors, a Butt-kicker system, and every add-on that comes with it.  It just isn't worth it to keep chasing this dream while everybody tries to enhance old technology. LM might very well do this one day, but as long as they use FSX as their base and "make itr better", it will still be 32-bit, locked at 4 Gb of memory and subject to OOMs and other "yesterday" constraints.

I do think that this could very well happen. Maybe with one of the existing companies, and maybe with an upstart. You never know. So wake me up when it happens - I have a flight from JFK to Munich later tonight, and I probably will sleep late tomorrow. :P

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Answers:

-A simulator attempts to achieve realism in every detail - - a game attempts to entertain, sacrificing reality.

-A simmer does whatever possible to attain as close to reality as possible - - A gamer does what ever it takes to win.

-The difference between a PC/console does not matter anymore in this thread because DTG has clarified the Xbox misunderstanding.

-The difference between pro and casual is who gets paid as a user and who does not.

Here are some extra credit questions:

Why are we here? Could it be because we love Flight Simulation? But why? If its really not that important, why would one spend so much time here at Avsim?

1. Then you've never seen a simulator a day in your life. Even professional training SIMULATORS don't attempt to do this.

3. None of these distinctions matter because there is NOTHING different between any of those things.

4. Where can I get paid? Who has ever gotten paid for flying a fake airplane around fake scenery on a computer screen?

a. Because it's fun.

b. No, I love other reasons, like gaming.

c. It's a hobby like golf, fishing, reading, or cooking.

d. To feed the addiction, but important? No way.

4. Where can I get paid? Who has ever gotten paid for flying a fake airplane around fake scenery on a computer screen?

Youtube and Twitch partners like Froogle, and Belenz! Viewers even  freely donate to them. Something I can't understand, for something they are doing themselves for enjoyment.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d