Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

WOW!

So I guess I only have one question: Why are we all still stuck with this crappy old FSX and P3D?

Those are pretty impressive graphics for a mobile version.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Personally I think the next flight sim will be this one. Its called Aerofly 2

For me..flying in Aerofly v1 was initially quite enjoyable and even thrilling, but after a while I realised that there were no Ai aircraft around..and no road traffic -apart from the flat photo-real images of real cars squashed to a pancake.  I initially had high hope for Aeofly FS, but until they make it at least partly a living world to fly in, and not a dead one, I'll give it a miss.

I have very much enjoyed reading all the comments regarding GTA V, wow it would just be the perfect flight if... Errm no it wouldn't, GTA V is a 60Gb install, covering an area around the size of San Francisco

An area the size of San Francisco is just perfect methinks for casual / fun / barnstorming flights in a real-world environment.....

https://youtu.be/nkL4BWJ0mYM?t=2m10s

Considering that every current AAA title (eventually) launchs on the PC and consoles, why should such a press release be suprising? IMO this can only be a good thing in terms of market exposure for the long run.

Now if DTG were to beat LM in releasing a 64 bit version of a MSFS based product, THAT would be suprising!

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I've stayed out of this because I didn't really think it was something that a lot of us didn't see coming.

BUT...a spokesperson for Dovetail has just said this on Twitter

"We have confirmed Trains and Fishing will be on XBox. There are no plans to bring [Dovetail Flight Simulator] to XBox in the immediate future."

and

"we are not working on bringing DFS to XBox at this time."

hmmmm.

https://twitter.com/alphafoxsierra/status/629333554586091521

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Or to be more specific....

"It's not something we are ruling out, but we are not working on bringing DFS to XBox at this time".

Flight Simmers are a niche market so if we are their target business they will cater to us, if they also port over to X-Box to make a few extra bucks then to be honest I see that as a good thing because higher revenue for them means more money for development in the future

I think too many people read far too much into X-Box so who cares of they did or didn't, at the end of the day it is just code running on a machine

Matthew Kane

a spokesperson for Dovetail has just said this on Twitter

"We have confirmed Trains and Fishing will be on XBox. There are no plans to bring [Dovetail Flight Simulator] to XBox in the immediate future."

and

So you're saying that this thread is a hundred posts about nothing? Say it ain't so! :lol:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Haha yes the reason why I ignored this thread for two days. Filled with the usual speculation.

Up until now DTG hasn't done wrong so I will continue to sit back and see what they come up with

But I still don't understand why people would care about Xbox or not

Matthew Kane

I must admit, I'm not sure what the "surprise" is with this DG information?  

But I doubt there is any "race" to 64bit ... what would you fly and where would you fly, default aircraft in a default world?

I do think some have built up some rather unrealistic expectations of what DG will be able to do for the "serious" flight sim enthusiast ... just have to wait and see what DG deliver in late 2016 and more importantly if it has a public SDK.

Cheers, Rob.

I have bought many of the flight simulation games etc. available over about the last 20+ years. Even many of the obscure ones. Let me see if I can remember all of them and list them. Just kidding! LOL! But true to form when DG release DG Flight I will most likely buy it! It will most likely be cheap (there model is about DLC right?) I bought FSXSE, never downloaded it and probably never will. I downloaded MS flight and tried it. It looked very nice and I beat it would run like Usain Bolt on my current system. To be honest I have spent years scrapping away at this Flight Simulation thing looking for the compelling and impelling flying experience. Flying for real gives it to me regularly but Flight Sim only rarely gives it to me. And really you can't see any further than the horizon so who cares if it is the whole world right out of the box. Even given the choice to fly anywhere I always tend to sim in Canada. Sure the odd time I load up a flight in Australia but the odd time I also still load up Wings of Prey and shoot down Messersmith's over the White Cliffs of Dover. Variety is the spice of life. Granted those who are looking for the true fully detailed flight Sim experience (and I do include myself in this crowd to some degree) have something to grip about. But no one in this crowd could have believed for a second that DG would deliver that experience and save us from OOM's and low FPS and popping autogen etc. That won't and never will  happen. It's Lockheed Martin that will do that for us or perhaps Laminar Research (but I doubt it).

BUT...a spokesperson for Dovetail has just said this on Twitter

and

https://twitter.com/alphafoxsierra/status/629333554586091521

Thanks for the info, Ebs. Aimee Sarjani isn't just some clerk but the DT Product Manager Flight Simulation and should know what she tells.

I must say I am totally confused now.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Gotta love Avsim. Always looking at the downside instead of the upside in the infinite cycle of holding on to 9 year old technologies.

• The Flight Sim is not a "first to Xbox" product - The real press release here: http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2015/aug/4/dovetail-games-looks-to-the-future-collaborating-with-microsoft does not state that the flight sim is going to be a ID@Xbox product that will be self published. A console port is usually where pain points are seen and DTG clearly chose not to go that path. This means it will be optimized for modern PC architecture first as opposed to the other way around and clearly DTG knows that the bulk of their long term customers for this platform will be on the PC. 

So in conclusion, folks dont jump the gun here. It is a VERY preliminary and abstracted article from that website that doesnt tell us anymore than we already know. Just wait and see before you start losing your mind over something you know nothing about. 

How can one make an educated guess when they have no basis for that hypothesis? Because both Sims share the name flight even though it is a new developer? Or maybe to your point it will be a console port, even though we have never seen a non arcade flight simulator on a console? 

Hate to say I told you so. But, you know....

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Good thread.  Made for excellent reading. :P

(By the way, I use a Playstation to USB adapter cable to utilize an old Playstation2 controller inside both X-Plane and FSX.... works perfect as a dedicated walkaround / look around / slew controller!)

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.