Sign in to follow this  
tazz

P3D 3.0 Speculation & General Nonsense

Well.  I have it on good authority that in relation to DX12 and VAS..... (dammit, just have to take a call...can't speak now peeps)

The possibility of using half refresh rate in Nvidia settings.

You can use half refresh rate. I think you are refering to  G-Sync

G-Sync is Nvidia's proprietary technology. It causes problems with full-screen displays on multiple screens which is why Prepar3d doesn't use it.

The simple solution is for Nvidia to get it to work with windowed screens.

'm sure he means 'it's early days yet!!' ...

Exactly what part of 'early days' are not being understood?

It seems to be the general opinion that P3D v3 is "close" to release. By saying "it's early days yet", JV has implied that it might not be quite as close as many of us are hoping/expecting.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You can use half refresh rate. I think you are refering to  G-Sync

G-Sync is Nvidia's proprietary technology. It causes problems with full-screen displays on multiple screens which is why Prepar3d doesn't use it.

The simple solution is for Nvidia to get it to work with windowed screens.

You need a monitor that supports g-sync. With 1/2 refresh rate vsync you don't need a special monitor.

I just hope we won't need to buy all the addons all over again. I just did that for P3D v2. It wasn't that bad because Orbx didn't charge for triple installers. If they charge for v3, oh.. I don't know man... that's going to be hard. v3 would need to be something really special to justify this huge expense.

JV referred to it as P3D V3 "Beta" as apposed to "Alpha" Doesn't beta usually mean that its close?

You can use half refresh rate. I think you are refering to G-Sync. G-Sync is Nvidia's proprietary technology. It causes problems with full-screen displays on multiple screens which is why Prepar3d doesn't use it. The simple solution is for Nvidia to get it to work with windowed screens.

Hi Gerry,

Am I missing something?

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/g-sync-gets-even-better

See the paragraph under 'New G-SYNC Features'.

In fact the stumbling block may be the requirement for the inclusion of a monitor DisplayPort: "Must support DisplayPort 1.2 directly from the GPU." If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort then you won't be able to use GSYNC.

Regards,

Mike

You need a monitor that supports g-sync. With 1/2 refresh rate vsync you don't need a special monitor.

True but G-sync only works with full-screen. As I explained, Prepar3D uses windowed screens so 1/2 refresh is possible but G-Sync isn't.

EDIT

Am I missing something?

http://www.geforce.c...ets-even-better

I seem to be missing something.Apparently G-Sync does now work in window mode:

To enable windowed G-SYNC simply go to “Set up G-SYNC” in the NVIDIA control panel, select “Enable G-SYNC for windowed and full screen mode”, and click the “Apply” button.

True but G-sync only works with full-screen. As I explained, Prepar3D uses windowed screens so 1/2 refresh is possible but G-Sync isn't.

No, I think it's the other way around. I'm 100% positive that 1/2 refresh vsync doesn't work in windowed, only true full screen. I don't use G-Sync so I'm not an expert on that but I read somewhere it supports windowed (or at least they intend to).

With apologies to shadowcaster from Simviation & airliners.net

Essential Tips for P3Dv3..

Here is a home study simulator course for those who still hunger for the romance and adventure of airline flying. That "Romance and Adventure" will all come back to you if you follow the steps of this "practice trip" at home:

1. Stay out of bed all night.

2. Sit in your most uncomfortable chair, in a closet, for nine or ten hours facing a four foot wide panoramic photo of a flight deck.

3. Have two or three noisy vacuum cleaners on high, out of sight but within hearing distance and operating throughout the night. If a vacuum cleaner fails, do the appropriate restart checklist.

4. Halfway through your nocturnal simulator course, arrange for a bright spotlight to shine directly into your face for two or three hours, simulating flying an eastbound flight into the sunrise.

5. Have bland overcooked food served on a tray midway through the night.

6. Have cold cups of coffee delivered from time to time. Ask your spouse to slam the door frequently.

7. At the time when you must heed nature's call, force yourself to stand outside the bathroom door for at least ten minutes, transferring your weight from leg to leg, easing the discomfort. Don't forget to wear your hat.

8. Leave the closet after the prescribed nine or ten hours, turn on your sprinklers and stand out in the cold and "rain" for twenty minutes, simulating the wait for the crew car.

9. Head for your bedroom, wet and with your suitcase and flight bag. Stand outside the door till your wife gets up and leaves, simulating the wait while the maid makes up the hotel room.

10. When your spouse inquires, "Just what in the hell have you been doing?" just say, "Recalling the allure of all night flying to romantic places." as you collapse into bed.

11. If you are a purist, make this a two-day trip instead of a turn-around, and do this two nights in a row. Hope you enjoy your sim session.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

With apologies to shadowcaster from Simviation & airliners.net

Essential Tips for P3Dv3..

Brilliant  :lol:

Edited by n4gix
Removed rediculously excessive quote! Again!

Richard Åsberg

General nonsense indeed!  :lol:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Directly from John V from ORBX:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/103046-a-huge-concern-i-have-for-p3d-v3/#entry930534

"We are testing V3 at present and have yet to make any formal announcement about whether we'll charge for V3 installers. My original comments were made well before V3 went to beta and was mostly based on the new version being a major architectural change. It's not, being more like a v2.6 truth be told."

All of the DX12, 64 bit, "it will be a revolutionary change" people feel free to call for a boycott again like you did the first time he told us 64 bit wouldnt be coming any time soon. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson