Sign in to follow this  
Noah101

980 TI Anti Aliasing

So I recently got a 980 TI and I am in need some awesome Nvidia inspector settings since I have the GPU capable of it. I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could send over an Nvidia inspector profile or just give me some settings. I am also not opposed to using DSR but I am having some trouble finding a good setting for it. Thanks in advance!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There's really not much to do, although surely others will disagree. The only thing I suggest is some SGSS. I currently have 2 780 TIs that have been overclocked and I can get away with 4x. While that generally leaves me with a lot of headroom, I like to have it in case I encounter a bunch of ASN cloud layers (I use enhanced overcast and detailed thunderstorms) since it can amount to a lot of particulate...

I think it is important to consider monitor resolution at this point, as a higher pixel count will alleviate the need for high level AA and DSR. A GTX980Ti will handle a 2560 x 1440 monitor with ease, and even up to 4K. Case in point: I recently upgraded from a 1980 x 1080 device to a 2560 x 1440 and discovered that 4 x MSAA is more than sufficient to show a very clean jaggy-free P3D. The advantage of real pixels over DSR is enormous, a lower resolution will exhibit an inherent graininess you will never eliminate without adding more pixels.

Yup couldn't agree more Dave - I'm still running a HD monitor with DSR, and there was a noticeable bump in AA "niceness" on my brother-law's 4K machine.

I've also got the 980 Ti and some bad AA with PMDG aircraft, I've tried to get DSR to work but somehow it never scales P3D down. Do I need to run P3D in full screen?

I think it is important to consider monitor resolution at this point, as a higher pixel count will alleviate the need for high level AA and DSR. A GTX980Ti will handle a 2560 x 1440 monitor with ease, and even up to 4K. Case in point: I recently upgraded from a 1980 x 1080 device to a 2560 x 1440 and discovered that 4 x MSAA is more than sufficient to show a very clean jaggy-free P3D. The advantage of real pixels over DSR is enormous, a lower resolution will exhibit an inherent graininess you will never eliminate without adding more pixels.

So you're saying with a 2K Monitor and a GTX 980ti you can P3D with zero shimmering by only using 4XMSAA in P3D and no SGSS?

I ask because I just purchased a new build and I wanna go either 4 or 2K just to get rid of shimmer because I cannot stand it and SGSS is too hard on my GPU and the sim looks blurry with SGSS. 

• Upvote 1

I've also got the 980 Ti and some bad AA with PMDG aircraft, I've tried to get DSR to work but somehow it never scales P3D down. Do I need to run P3D in full screen?

Hi Henry, after you select the new resolution in the P3D options, you need to alt-enter twice to get P3D into full screen.

So you're saying with a 2K Monitor and a GTX 980ti you can P3D with zero shimmering by only using 4XMSAA in P3D and no SGSS?

I ask because I just purchased a new build and I wanna go either 4 or 2K just to get rid of shimmer because I cannot stand it and SGSS is too hard on my GPU and the sim looks blurry with SGSS.

Never really noticed shimmering to be honest, I was just referring to jaggies and overall image quality. You could harness DSR on your new build to fake a higher resolution to see if your shimmering diminishes, that might help you ascertain the need for more pixels before laying out any cash on a new monitor.

I'm going to second this.  With my 980Ti, I've also been flying at 2560 x 1440, and have really not felt the need to do anything beyond 4 x MSAA.  If you really strain, there's a tiny, tiny bit of stairstepping on diagonals, and a very small amount of shimmer, but nothing objectionable at all - to me at least.  Certainly nothing so objectionable that I feel like taking the performance hit of SGSS.

I'm going to second this.  With my 980Ti, I've also been flying at 2560 x 1440, and have really not felt the need to do anything beyond 4 x MSAA.  If you really strain, there's a tiny, tiny bit of stairstepping on diagonals, and a very small amount of shimmer, but nothing objectionable at all - to me at least.  Certainly nothing so objectionable that I feel like taking the performance hit of SGSS.

Great! I'm now off to find a 1440p 144hz 1ms 27" Monitor.

Good luck  :smile:

http://imgur.com/a/6KoSK -> 4k, no MSAA at all. So i can back up the posts above.

Currently I am running MSAA 2x and Anisotropic Filtering 4x. With smooth frame rates on a single GTX 970.

Hi Henry, after you select the new resolution in the P3D options, you need to alt-enter twice to get P3D into full screen.

I don't know if Im just too stupid to make DSR work, but I've switched it on, set the right resolution in P3D, alt-entered twice but it still hasnt change a single thing. Guess I have to stick to SSGS

I'm getting my 980 delivered any day now.  It will replace a 5-yr old 580.  I'm running P3Dv3.1 with a relatively smooth FPS in the low 20s from the PMDG virtual cockpit in default areas and high teens in the more detailed areas or add-ons.  I expect a boost with my 980.  

Does P3D automatically detect the 980 after I  install the card and update drivers from Windows?  Or should I manually replace the 580 and enter the 980 in the DISPLAY line of P3D.cfg file before running P3D again?

I can't wait to see the difference!

it should detect automatically. All I'd do is delete your shaders folder in user/Appdata/local/Lockheed martin/prepar3d v3 folder.

If your priority is flight simming I wouldn't recommend 1440p or g-sync.

I would suggest 4k.

I have both a 28 " 4k, 1ms monitor and a large Samsung curved 4k tv and the tv is a ridiculously better experience.

There is no comparison. Contrast, sharpness and color are extraordinary.

Cheers

If your priority is flight simming I wouldn't recommend 1440p or g-sync.

I would suggest 4k.

I have both a 28 " 4k, 1ms monitor and a large Samsung curved 4k tv and the tv is a ridiculously better experience.

There is no comparison. Contrast, sharpness and color are extraordinary.

Cheers

I know what youre saying but I cannot stand 60hz, I've been using 144hz for 2 years now and when I drop it back to 60 its drives me nuts. I play a few FPS and its pretty much standard to have at least 120hz. I think using 1440p over 1080p should be a lot nicer right? I appreciate your comment.

What I can recommend is an IPS 4k panel.

Best experience I ever had regarding the quality of the image. Well, it is 60 Hz, so nothing for the 144Hz-Hardcore-fans  :smile: And pretty expensive still....

But if you are looking for the best colors there is no alternative to an IPS panel.

I am using this at the moment and could not be more satisfied:

https://www.asus.com/en/Monitors/PA328Q/

it should detect automatically. All I'd do is delete your shaders folder in user/Appdata/local/Lockheed martin/prepar3d v3 folder.

Thanks

If you go to 1440p make sure to get an IPS panel - a super fast response time should not be determinative in a flight sim, only really a FPS. I have a Dell IPS panel with an 8ms response time and it's perfect for P3D - and although the refresh rate is only 60 Hz, it's still fine for most things. Mind you I don't play any FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. 

I see the ACER Predator is IPS, 1440p G-Sync and 144 Hz. If someone has that, please let us know what it's like. 

With a i74970K and an overclocked EVGA GTX 980 ti I often get > 80fps in countryside GA flying. I wonder whether having a faster monitor would make things look even better.

Are there any caveats to going the 4khdtv route as opposed to a monitor? I've been browsing various vendors and they still provide less than useful information as it relates to running as a computer display.

It also appears that the TV's give you more bang for the buck. You get a larger display for less $$$ as opposed to a pure monitor.

Has anyone run into difficulty sending the output to the TV?

Any recommendations for something in the 32 - 40" range(4KTV)?

Vic

Folks,

Please confirm that 2k monitor will eliminate any need to use 4xSGSAA in P3D with 2040 in-game resolution with only MSAA applied. I have 980Ti with 6GB and i7-2700k

Is 1ms response time necessary? How about 3-4ms?

I keep wondering if 4K monitor is a must. Is P3D or FSX native graphics made at that high of resolution?

I see the ACER Predator is IPS, 1440p G-Sync and 144 Hz. If someone has that, please let us know what it's like. 

I have an X34, and I'd strongly suggest holding off on them for now.  There's a lot of reports of issues - mine suffers some of these, but not all:

1)  Only half the backlight switches on when you turn the monitor on.  I get this but it always comes on pretty quickly.  Some users report that they have to switch it off and back on again.

2)  The backlight bleed is pretty awful.  I fly at night a lot, and the left hand corners(particularly the bottom) look like the sun is coming up - there's a distinct orange glow.

3)  Other's have reported significant banding, particularly in blue colours I believe.  I don't have this problem.

I've had the monitor for about 6 weeks and will likely be speaking to Acer after New Year about an RMA for problem 1.  They're supposed to be able to fix that but it's a hardware repair so needs to go back to them.  Depending on whether that gets fixed - and if they fix my monitor and send it back to me rather than replacing it - so I still have problem 2, I'll consider whether I try for a full refund.

144hz?  1ms?  I'm guessing you have other (gaming) requirements for your monitor!

A thought - I think we're really approaching an era where there isn't a 'best' any longer.  It's now pretty much down to personal preferences and budget.  Can you imagine a few years ago, casually debating 2K vs. 4K, or 42" plus curved widescreens?  We really have it pretty good!

Each of us are really only repeating our personal preferences here - and each solution is likely as good as another.  So many different choices, and you really can't go far wrong with any of them.