Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

My new Skylake/SLI simming/gaming computer

Took about a week and working with acrylic sucks, but its finally done. Still have to clean up a few wires but I am happy with how it came out. 

Specs:

Intel I7 Skylake 6700k

2x Asus 1TB Neutron SSD's in Raid 0

2x GTX 980ti's in SLI

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz DDR4

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Motherboard

1x 360 XSPC Radiator 

1x 240 XSPX Radiator

Custom EK Storm Trooper CPU block

2x XSPC Razor GPU block

Custom Monsoon 100mm Res with D5 pump

3/4 gallon of water  :Tounge:

IMG_20151228_180533.jpg

IMG_20151228_182911.jpg

IMG_20151228_180553.jpg

IMG_20151228_182835.jpg

Untitled.png

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What a superb machine!

If you've had time to test yet... how are you finding the 980TI's in SLI???

Which PSU is powering this beast?

Wow, quite a monster.

Can't wait to read your next post ... "What gives? I'm getting stutters over New York on a cloudy day will all settings maxed out!!" Ha Ha.

(I'm fighting, really fighting, the urge to get back into simming and plucking down my retirement cash for a new rig.)

What a superb machine!

If you've had time to test yet... how are you finding the 980TI's in SLI???

Which PSU is powering this beast?

I am using a Corsair 1200i (1200w) which is frankly overkill as the system probably draws about 650w from the wall at peak. But it saves me future proofing. I also have a low power mod on the 980ti's with the help from the folks from Zotac as I dont intend to overclock them so they dont draw excess power. 

What happens when it leaks :Hmmmph:

I installed a blow off pressure valve on the reservoir to reduce the chance of a large pressure jump in the hoses that would cause one of them to blow off. Also, those lines you see in the hoses are reinforced, so they are very very hard to install into compression fittings but will never come out one they are on. 

I am using a Corsair 1200i (1200w) which is frankly overkill as the system probably draws about 650w from the wall at peak. But it saves me future proofing. I also have a low power mod on the 980ti's with the help from the folks from Zotac as I dont intend to overclock them so they dont draw excess power.

In that case the PSU is also running in it's most efficient range.

Lets us know how you get on with two 980Ti's in SLI.

Have no idea what Im looking at but its amazing :smile:

Monster rig - great pics too - I always appreciate people who take nice rig pics

.... nice. ... is this part of the next space shuttle project .... :dance:  

Damn, a lot of money on this for sure. Just wondering how much of this will really help your sim.. maybe very little. Perhaps the only really good item is the processor- all others are very likely, not a waste but an over-built?

I've seen several videos online from Rob, with a near $1,000 CPU, yet, you can clearly see stutters and frame-rate issues along with OOMs. So, not to ruin the excitement, but you could achive the same performance you'll have with half the cost of this.

Forgot to ask, what case are you using??

Its the Corsair 760t white

Damn, a lot of money on this for sure. Just wondering how much of this will really help your sim.. maybe very little. Perhaps the only really good item is the processor- all others are very likely, not a waste but an over-built?

I've seen several videos online from Rob, with a near $1,000 CPU, yet, you can clearly see stutters and frame-rate issues along with OOMs. So, not to ruin the excitement, but you could achive the same performance you'll have with half the cost of this.

It was a sponsored build for my company that is getting into gaming from another sports industry so money wasnt really an issue. Myself and another FS enthusiast built it with parts provided from Corsair, Zotac, Astro gaming, and performance-pcs. It wont be used solely for FS purposes but I will admit that the skylake works very well compared to a 6-core setup that I have with similar specs. Dont know why and what the reason a 4 core would out perform a 6 core. But in my testing it does well. Certainly FSX/P3D perform poorly compared to platforms like DCS and thats really because the technology is ancient and inefficient. But I will still enjoy flying my way around on it anyway. 

Sponsored for a company... but there's another reason enthusiasts build a rig like this. For asthetics, it's a work of art. It's not always about performance. There's great satisfaction in creating something unique.

Nice pics - I have recently equipped myself with the same CPU + motherboard + graphics cards as you.

X-Plane runs great (as do all my games etc) but P3D runs like a pig. Go figure!

Sponsored for a company... but there's another reason enthusiasts build a rig like this. For asthetics, it's a work of art. It's not always about performance. There's great satisfaction in creating something unique.

Exactly, we could have just slapped the parts together but we always like to put some flair on systems. A huge side window doesnt mean much if there isnt something to exhibit inside of it. Presentation for enthusiast system builders is equally (if not more) important as the specs. 

It's a painting by an artist... but also plays games rather well. :smile:

So I finally got to benchmark this thing in P3D and it KILLS the performance I had on my Broadwell system by about a 15% margin. I really couldnt understand how a 4 core processor could beat out a 6-core so handedly but I ran some single thread performance benchmarks and realized that the per-core performance of Skylake is significantly higher than Broadwell cpu's. With the exception of some one off synthetic benchmarks and rendering programs, Skylake is the clear winner in the Intel "tick-tock" roadmap for the time being. We will see how Broadwell-E does when that refresh comes. 

Thanks for the update Josh. My Skylake rig is STILL in boxes. A bedroom revamp in progress before I can build. Very frustrating.

Wow, I see in pic 2 that you even installed the Enterprise's warp core! :D

That is one very neat looking machine. Congrats on the time/effort/result!