Sign in to follow this  
d0ubl3sh0t

why PMDG doesn't sell their products on STEAM store?

lets be honest PMDG is one of the most highly detail aircraft developer for flight simulation that creates high fidelity aircraft. of course because of that many people want to try it out. but there are some people(like me)who have the money, yet doesn't have the tool to buy your products(credit cards, paypal acounts), like people averaging from the age of 14-19 who have save their allowance but they cant buy it because they have no paypall acount. nor their parents wont let them to use their credit cards.

now if PMDG sell their product on steam it will open access to many potential buyers. Now people can just buy steam voucher in the nearest store with our currency and eventually buy your product. 

regards

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Will not happen, and you can always ask somebody who has a PayPal account or a credit card to buy for you.

You could get a debit card? I dont think theres any age registriction on posessing a debit card, unlike a credit card. I got my first debit card with my bank account when I was 16. Whilst not the same as a credit card, that still allowed me to purchase things online, and use it to set up a PayPal. Even with Steam I think you need a payment card registered anyway?

You can also buy PMDG products in boxed format.

I imagine only PMDG can answer why money is being left on the table.

• Upvote 2

Ask around how much Steam and Dovetail want, if you sell throw, the portal.

By the way you can use prepay card if you want and use them directly or with paypal.

Nothing can stop you if you want spending money. LoL

Will not happen

Since you were in that meeting when the decision was made, could you share the reason why? I believe "why" was the question...mixed with a general statement that it would possibly increase sales.

The rest of us outsiders can only guess that it's a margin/support,legal issue or just something that no one had time to explore.

Please share more. 

• Upvote 1

Comissions for selling through Steam are ridiculous... Dovetail AND Steam are taking a large margin. It's just not worth it for some developers. Also, can you imagine the amout of support they would have to offer... That random guy expecting Ctrl+E to work...

• Upvote 6

Comissions for selling through Steam are ridiculous... Dovetail AND Steam are taking a large margin. It's just not worth it for some developers. Also, can you imagine the amout of support they would have to offer... That random guy expecting Ctrl+E to work...

lol  Well, all that is very True indeed 

Since you were in that meeting when the decision was made, could you share the reason why? I believe "why" was the question...mixed with a general statement that it would possibly increase sales.

The rest of us outsiders can only guess that it's a margin/support,legal issue or just something that no one had time to explore.

Please share more. 

I do not have to in at meeting!

Common sense would have told you that PMDG have been around for a very long time, and in all that time, only their boxed products are available from a few selected retailers such as Aerosoft.  They do not do direct downloads, AFAIK,  through anybody else except their own portal. So, why on earth would they would change business tack and let Steam sell their downloads?  I may well be wrong but unless somebody from PMDG officially states that is not so, then logically it is pretty fair to assume that downloading their products is only done via them.

Sarcasm is not a requisite to make a purchase from them, BTW!

Will not happen,

Rick, I've been following PMDG closely since Fly! and still don't feel entitled to speak on their behalf.

Common sense would have told you that PMDG have been around for a very long time

3 years ago my company didn't produce smartphones because 'common sense' said there wasn't any room in the market. Now they are 30% of our revenue and growing.

Common sense tells me if there's a potential market, it should be explored.

With that said, I highly doubt Steam/Dovetail is a good or very profitable deal for PMDG, but I don't work there and I don't have a regular tee time with Robert.

The question by the OP is legit and I don't think it lacked common sense. It was merely a poke to see if PMDG might have or might be considering it because the OP thinks there are more young customers like him out there with steam credits to spend. I thought it was a good question. You slammed the door on him like you know something we don't. 

Bob

All fair points. And yes, I could have worded my opening line a bit better, but I was making an attempt at dissuading the Op from wasting his time trying to go down the Steam route, which in all fairness, on the balance of probabilities the way PMDG have operated---- and you yourself state that you have been following them since Fly!----is more likely to not happen than happen.

and you yourself state that you have been following them since Fly!----is more likely to not happen than happen.

Fair enough Rick. 

Since the release of SE, a whole new crowd of simmers (or gamers) have arrived. Like Keven mentioned above, the support headache (and cost) could be a nightmare.

Watch some of the youtube videos these guys are making. It's horrifying.    :)

I do understand the OP though. I have sons and steam credits are given to them by a lot of relatives as gifts. Credit purchases would be easier than begging parents to take out the credit card.

Especially if the parent isn't a simmer and has no idea who PMDG is.

quite a valid opinion you guys said. but im going to point out the boxed version in my country

because the ratio between gamer and simmer are huge. like 20:1(doesn't mean theres isn't any simmers). no game store sell add on simulation products. and since the arrival of steam. people tend to choose to buy game on steam over buying a boxed version

im going to point out the boxed version in my country

Point being?

boxed products are available from a few selected retailers such as Aerosoft.

already mentioned

Point being?

already mentioned

in other words people cannot obtain boxed version here.

and how do i suppose to buy the box version on the aerosoft store? send all of my money with pigeons to aerosoft office?

i was referring to tom wrights comment suggesting to buy a boxed version

Not having any idea which country you're from, I thought the way you phrased it, was that boxed versions were available.

and how do i suppose to buy the box version on the aerosoft store? send all of my money with pigeons to aerosoft office?

Make sure there not pigeons made by FSX, they'll run out of memory:)

• Upvote 2

Boxed versions don't overcome the credit card problem. They aren't available in shops these days, which is a shame. I used to prefer having an installation disc and a printed manual (remember those?). Happy days...

I don't think availability on Steam is the answer either. No doubt Steam extract a fair sized fee from vendors. That's not attractive for companies that don't need the mass market distribution system Steam provides.

When my children wanted to buy something that needed online payment I would make the purchase for them and they would transfer the money to me. It's not ideal but it gets round the obstacle.

• Upvote 1

I will not go into the specifics, but we evaluated this option very closely and decided it was not in our best interest to do at this time.

I will not go into the specifics, but we evaluated this option very closely and decided it was not in our best interest to do at this time.

I don't know anything about the proposal on offer for PMDG - but I'm not surprised at this.

Who needs percentage-sucking middlemen when you're a strong brand in the community.

If anything - steam/dovetail should pay PMDG for taking their toy to a much more serious and lucrative audience.

There's a thought.

Just to add one further thought (which I'm sure have been discussed already) - however consider a "PMDG cloud" (forgive the pun) model, similar to Microsoft Office 365.

Take a PMDG product price, divide by (average lifespan in months / 3) = ongoing monthly subscription (or just pick an attractive monthly price point).

Lowers barriers for those on a budget without discounting the overall product.

Gives PMDG a recurring revenue which might otherwise not exist; in the form of an outright purchase.

Also known to help reduce piracy.

• Upvote 1

No thanks. I wouldn't want to subscribe to addons rather than buy them. Imagine how much people would have paid for the 747 over more than 10 years. I want to be able to pay for the licence and own it. Not rent it.

No thanks. I wouldn't want to subscribe to addons rather than buy them. Imagine how much people would have paid for the 747 over more than 10 years. I want to be able to pay for the licence and own it. Not rent it.

With you there, Kevin.

Technically, you never own it.

You pay for the right to use it as it is.

But I know what you mean.

Gents-

A few points on this topic:

We routinely evaluate our distribution model, and upon each review of the Steam distribution method, we determine that the process simply isn't a cost effective method.  In fact, contrary to the earlier post in which someone wonders why we would "leave money on the table" the problem with Steam is quite the opposite...  The costs of that channel do not outweigh the potential market expansion that accompanies the channel.

Most folks don't realize that in order to distribute products through steam, you have to license distribution to the party that owns the channel.  (In this case Dovetail Games.)  In doing so, you are allowing the owner of the channel complete control of pricing and free reign on special pricing such as Steam sales, etc.  In exchange, you pay the owner of the channel a per/transaction fee that exceeds the cost of our entire distribution network, insurance, security, storage and support process.

Then, on top of that, you get to pay Steam an even **larger** fee per transaction.

The end result being that the owner of the intellectual property (That would be us in this case!) winds up with about 25-30% of the revenue from the sale- except that there is some significant down-side risk due to the potential for channel-owner controlled steam sales to put you into competition with yourself, since you cannot possibly maintain a price point on your products when the channel owner can, at their whim, push your products out via the steam channel for 50% off or more without your input.  When you find yourself in this position, yield per unit can drop as low as 8% when compared to the normal revenue yield from a customer purchase.

So when you ask "Why isn't PMDG selling to us on Steam" you are effectively asking "Why won't PMDG take a 70-92% paycut in order to reach new customers?!"

The answer?:  We don't feel it is necessary.

Now all of that being said:  One of the things we really like about the folks at Dovetail- is that we can talk about such things with them candidly, and we are treated with respect and candor.  We recognize that Dovetail doesn't make the rules on the Steam channel, but they still have to compete and they still have to thrive for the benefit of all of us- but that creates risk for PMDG to join them along their channel.  PMDG knows this.  Dovetail understands this.  We talk with one another honestly, and Dovetail in return treats us very well, converses with us regularly, and values us as a member of the development community.

So- at the end of the day, we have to make a decision how we conduct our business- and we do...

Oh- and Bob:  You are correct.  We couldn't possibly have a regular tee time- I gave up the sport about ten years ago when I finally came to admit that am a horrible player and I never looked back. :wink: