Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

Flight School Unlocked

Exactly. That's where their target market is, not here.

:Talking Ear Off: :t0152:

Don't be a sucker. Their target market is who is giving them money and they have no doubt estimated a large amount of us will buy it out of curiosity. Otherwise they wouldn't be here. The idea that this was just pointed at first time simmers is an illusion. But given the amount of excuses being made, it's clear their marketing strategy is working.

Some real pilots overhere to talk about the flight dinamics? It is been hard to land with flaps!

It's about FSX default level. You know how people say FSX flies on rails? Well that's what this is.

Where as third party developers have broken that mold, the DTG Super Cub (for example) here is basically on rails. They got the speeds at the margins correct but point the nose down and observe. In a real plane, lift is generated as speed increases and the nose rises. That doesn't happen here. In a Super Cub, flaps are extremely effective at bleeding speed. In Flight School the planes do not want to slow in the pattern. Maybe realistic for a Mooney but a Cherokee loses speed quickly at idle power. The stall characteristics of the Cub (a plane known to drop a wing) show it simply dropping back to the horizon.

The best I can say is it's early Carenado level stuff.

Actually, I agree with you. I was looking at things a bit 'blinkered'.

I retract  my comments!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

bonchie -

They got the speeds at the margins correct but point the nose down and observe. In a real plane, lift is generated as speed increases and the nose rises. That doesn't happen here. In a Super Cub, flaps are extremely effective at bleeding speed. In Flight School the planes do not want to slow in the pattern. Maybe realistic for a Mooney but a Cherokee loses speed quickly at idle power. The stall characteristics of the Cub (a plane known to drop a wing) show it simply dropping back to the horizon.

That's not what I've observed.

I did a fair amount of flying with it last night and very nearly crashed the b***er three times turning into final. Once it stalled it was swinging quite quickly down and to the left. Every time I was amazed I kept it in the air. Didn't notice a stall warning sound, don't know if cubs have them or not.

Additional Info - The flight dynamics sliders were all fully to the right, maybe a lot of people haven't spotted them and are flying on ultra easy.

bonchie -

I did a fair amount of flying with it last night and very nearly crashed the b***er three times turning into final. Once it stalled it was swinging quite quickly down and to the left. Every time I was amazed I kept it in the air. Didn't notice a stall warning sound, don't know if cubs have them or not.

Additional Info - The flight dynamics sliders were all fully to the right, maybe a lot of people haven't spotted them and are flying on ultra easy.

You were already in a turn. I'd sure as heck hope a wing would continue to drop in a turn if stalled. It'd be pretty impossible not to. 

Go do a regular power off stall. 

Stalling on a base to final turn is basically a death sentence in real life. I got distracted in real life years ago and nearly had that happen. Needless to say, I've never let that be an issue again. You are going to go into a spin in that situation and there's no getting out of it at those altitudes. 

bonchie -

Go do a regular power off stall.

Right you are. I'll give it a shot when I next fire it up.

bonchie -

Every aircraft has a stall warning  which should go off way before it stalls. The first thing someone should do in an aircraft, is go up to a couple of thousand feet and practice some stalls and slow flight. Do approach to landing stalls. power at idle,  with and without flaps and see how slow you can go before the stall, and see what happens when it stalls. Keep the nose from swinging to one side with the rudder. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Don't be a sucker. Their target market is who is giving them money and they have no doubt estimated a large amount of us will buy it out of curiosity.

Except that "a large amount of us" is a negligible, not to say ludicrous share of the market, especially if compared to most titles published on Steam.

As many others here, I am afraid you are overestimating the weight of this community.

How about an actual comment from someone who knows nothing about flight sims at all? THAT is actually more revealing than anything from us. 

Exactly !!

From STEAM forum:

"heyy everyone i just wanted to make this thread to share my view and experience with flight school so far as an absolute beginner to flight sims, i do own fsx and xplane and i did try xplane once but it was too complicated and i couldnt even take off so i gave up lol this is the reason i bought flight school as a last attempt to get into flight sims."

........continues on STEAM forum:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/441920/discussions/0/364042703854280821/

• Upvote 1

Except that "a large amount of us" is a negligible, not to say ludicrous share of the market, especially if compared to most titles published on Steam.

As many others here, I am afraid you are overestimating the weight of this community.

It's only negligible if there's some mythical horde of hundreds of thousands of first timers out there buying your product. In the end, the amount of people with prior experience in sims who buy this product won't be negligible at all. But DTG has successfully gotten you to buy a product that you've convinced yourself you can't even criticize because "it's not for you." It's brilliant marketing. 

• Upvote 2

From STEAM forum:

"heyy everyone i just wanted to make this thread to share my view and experience with flight school so far as an absolute beginner to flight sims, i do own fsx and xplane and i did try xplane once but it was too complicated and i couldnt even take off so i gave up lol this is the reason i bought flight school as a last attempt to get into flight sims."

http://steamcommunit...42703854280821/

Well, there it is, apart from someone trying to sell FSX!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

It's only negligible if there's some mythical horde of hundreds of thousands of first timers out there buying your product. In the end, the amount of people with prior experience in sims who buy this product won't be negligible at all. But DTG has successfully gotten you to buy a product that you've convinced you can't even criticize because "it's not for you." It's brilliant marketing. 

I bought it not because they told me to do so. Nor because it is intended or not intended to me. I bought it because I really wanted to support DTG. Simple like that.

I have just bought Aerofly FS 2 for the same reason: because I really want to support the developer. Period.

It's not about marketing. It's about my own decision to support or not support a developer. I guess 99% of users here on AVSIM do not need a flight school, yet most of them decided to give DTG a chance and are supporting this project with their own money.

Am I impressed with what I have seen so far? Honestly I am not. But I think there is room for improvement. The real goal is DTG Flight Simulator and I think we can achieve good results within a couple of years with constructive criticism and a little patience. I really wonder why people who are clearly and legitimately not interested to this product keep on populating these threads with hostile reviews just to disqualify something they will admittedly never buy. Sorry, but this is beyond me.

• Upvote 4

Am I impressed with what I have seen so far? Honestly I am not. But I think there is room for improvement. The real goal is DTG Flight Simulator and I think we can achieve good results within a couple of years with constructive criticism and a little patience. I really wonder why people who are clearly and legitimately not interested to this product keep on populating these threads with hostile reviews just to disqualify something they will admittedly never buy. Sorry, but this is beyond me.

The difference between a "hostile review" and "constructive criticism" is in the eye of the beholder, I think. 

I've criticized what I've seen in Flight School in the context of the upcoming full flight sim, because I would love to have an alternative to X-Plane. It's a simulator that I'm generally happy with, except for a few key points like weather, ATC, and the slow pace of progress. I would also like to see X-Plane have more competition than just P3D going forward. So I want to see DTG succeed.

If the upcoming DTG Flight Sim offers me more than I'm getting now, then I have a bunch of money that I'll happily throw at the sim and the accompanying payware over the next few years. I'm a model customer for the upcoming product because I will always try a new sim that looks like it's moving the state of the art forward. However, I'm not going to drop my standards for what "state of the art" means, and genuflect just because DTG is using hallowed Microsoft FS as a code base. They'll have to do better than this, for me to open my wallet. Show me the goods and I'm right there.

Meanwhile I'll comment on what I think needs to be improved, just like I've done for every other simulator I've flown in the last 34 years (egad! has it been that long?). For what it's worth, I'm just as hard on X-Plane when it comes to criticism.
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I`m in love with SIM so far... I see many progress on this new SIM. Work hard DT.

My%20Signature.jpg

Is that why I saw the micro stutters from the video? What about a video with normal setting?

I'm running a AMD 965 @ 3.9 and ATI 5850 so this is not a good flight sim computer.  I use it for CS6 and Quixel Suite.

The setting are set to high, no traffic, and fair weather in this video.  It's very smooth, but remember using a recording software does effect it.

Flew on the east side of LA near the foothills. Did a stall and roll. Not a serious attempt, just having some fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMRg_cZNTc

Exactly !!

From STEAM forum:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/441920/discussions/0/364042703854280821/

Good review from someone other than the tired old critics that troll around here saying the same thing over, and over, and over.... 

• Upvote 3

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson