Sign in to follow this  
ferrariman15

Likelihood of a PMDG 787?

I know there was a thread a while ago about a PMDG 787 but the real question about whether or not one is likely was never really answered. I know that a fully functional EFB that comes with the 787 in the world as standard is a none starter, but is PMDG able and willing to make a 787 in the future? I know that another developer is currently in the process of making one but we know that will be "reduced complexity", so would really like to know if a PMDG standard one is likely in the future? I've looked at many YouTube videos on the 787 and most of the advances in aircraft design don't actually apply to the sim, and it looks like this bird is right up your alley so to speak.

To be honest, I think the 787 would be boring. Pretty much the same as their 777, but with larger screens and grey panels instead of brown. I heard that the upcoming 787 from QW will not be a dumbed down version, but yet a "detailed" version. I'd rather PMDG came out with a 767 or maybe an MD-80. But, whatever they make next they already have decided and it's most likely already in development.

• Upvote 2

Good, eventually..

And until then, the other will probably be just fine

To be honest, I think the 787 would be boring. Pretty much the same as their 777, but with larger screens and grey panels instead of brown. I heard that the upcoming 787 from QW will not be a dumbed down version, but yet a "detailed" version. I'd rather PMDG came out with a 767 or maybe an MD-80. But, whatever they make next they already have decided and it's most likely already in development.

I certainly don't think a 787 would be boring at all. Flying the 777 by the book is certainly a high workload during takeoff and approach. Considering the 767 will mostly be retired in a year or two I would rather they concentrate on current aircraft.

I'm not sure a 767 would be much more interesting. They have done updated 2 and 4 engines. Maybe time for an updated 3 engine. The MD11 updated to latest specs would be good. Or perhaps a PMDG regional.

Either way I think we have a good while to wait. The 747 will keep us all busy for some time I think.

Dave, the 767 will be around a lot longer than a year or two.  Many passenger airlines are renovating their interiors, adding winglets, and tweaking the engines.  I can't speak for the European airlines, but United, Delta, and American are planning on using them well into the next decade.  As for cargo airlines, Boeing is still producing the freight model.  FedEx, UPS, and DHL will be using them for a very long time to come all over the world.

And Darren, you have no idea how badly I would love a tri-holer.  The 727 or DC-10-30 would be my choices. Love having a FE panel and looking at all of the analog gauges and switches illuminated at night!

• Upvote 1

You see I find it curious how people say boring to a modern airliner. Makes me wonder how realistically people actually want to fly their aircraft in the sim. Modern airliners like the 787 & 777 are far easier to fly realistically single pilot in the sim (even though it would be technically illegal in the RW). I've tried to fly the older less automated aircraft realistically and the workload is just too high to do it single pilot. With the 777 it's even possible with switch panels and LINDA to hand fly and do all your flows and checklists properly.

I remember growing up in the 70's and 80's flying to the states on TWA 747 then transferring to a 727 for internal flights. How about a PMDG quality 727 with FS2crew lending a hand. Now that would be cool !

But I agree with Dave. Vintage or modern as long as it's PMDG it will never be boring.

• Upvote 1

I'd Love it if pmdg did something in between the dc6 and 737/747/777, like a dc-8/dc-10 or 747 Classics.

• Upvote 1

a.   % Chance PMDG will make a 787 -  ZERO

b.   % Chance you'll see a PMDG 757 or 767 - ZERO

c.   % Chance they even read this post - ZERO

d.   % Chance LD757 comes out by next century - ZERO

e.   % Chance someone's 787 (QW) will be out in before the next 2 years - 25%

f.    % Chance Pauly flies his PDMG 777 tonight - 100

g.   % Chance Pauly gets banned from this site - 100 (unless c.>1%)

• Upvote 1

Why are you always so negative?

I'd be up for one, but even if they announced it tomorrow it would be Fall 2064 before release.... not sure how many of us will make it that long ha

• Upvote 1

A 787 flies the same routes and longer range routes as a 777, its less common,  its very similar systems wise to a 777, and it was even less popular when pmdg likely started designing their next project. Thats why I don't think we will see a 787 from pmdg in the near future.  Even though they have said they will not do a 767/757 because leveld are developing one maybe they will reconsider since level d seems to be non existent.  A 757 or 767 would be a goldmine for pmdg, even more so the 757 because, simmers love them, you can fly a huge variety of routes with them, and they are still very very common, and we have never had a quality 757 simulation for fsx/p3d.  The other aircraft I think about is the MD80, again simmers love them, they are fun to fly, no up to date simulation exists, and they are still somewhat common, but not nearly as common anymore as the 757 or 767 still is.  Personally I would love either from pmdg.  Either way we will know soon.  

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't mind another airplane that I could use for domestic routes outside of the 737. That would be very nice.

C's wrong.

• Upvote 9

C's wrong.

Yeah. I'm with Ryan. Just because we don't respond doesn't mean we aren't watching...  :ph34r:

Sometimes we just don't jump in because we aren't in a position to address the topic in one way or another.

EDIT: ...and look! Two of us in a single thread.

• Upvote 4

EDIT: ...and look! Two of us in a single thread.

Its like a double rainbow

• Upvote 4

Its like a double rainbow

All the way?

What does this meeeaaaannn?

Oh my god oh my god!

• Upvote 4

Next PMDG projects with higest priority in my wish list:

- NGX and 777 for X-Plane 10 and/or 11.

That will definitely kill my P3D and FSX copies... :Raised Eyebrow:

• Upvote 3

C's wrong.

oh wow, you're still alive. I haven't seen you around here since the ngx days!

So it's been about 2 years since I've posted on these forums, I still browse from time to time to see what good stuff PMDG has cooking.

Anyway, here is an interview from  2013 in which Robert Randazzo is asked this question:

https://youtu.be/BRmjmP4Q8GY?t=2630

For those who can't view the video here is the transcript:

FroogleSim: "Are you considering a 787?"

Robert: "Right now surprisingly we are not. We haven't gotten the data package yet these things cost money. There's a couple of other things we want to do first but I'm sure we will get there some day".

FroogleSim: "Isn't a 787 just a very big 777 but you turn it on and it catches fire?"

Robert: "[]....the 787 is a marvel of technology, from a developers stand point it just makes me break out in a very prickly rash because it's  just so software driven my fear is there is just some whole stuff in there which we would have to invent just to support the data drive side of the aeroplane. But we will get there some day I'm sure".

So there you have it, there will probably be a PMDG 787 one day but it would be so hard to develop I'm not sure if it will happen any time soon.

• Upvote 1

If I look at my PMDG hangar, there is a gap between the NGX and the 777/744v3. So from this point of view only, I would like to see some airliner in the 757/767/787 category.

In the light of this, a PMDG 757/767 would really fit nicely and would be not so much of a challenge to build. Furthemore, it will bring some classic feel to our sim :smile:

Happy flying to all :drinks:

• Upvote 1