Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Some images using AS16 and ASCA

While I'm a happy owner of REX4 TD+SoftClouds, I will be absolutely testing the ASCA trial, and will very likely end up buying it - based on videos, it answers my needs.

As for AS16, that's a definite day one purchase.

sig01.png

Thank you very much for the feedback. I really appreciate it, been looking forward to hear the thoughts of everyone on here, even if critical.

I will be working hard on implementing improvements and changes based on this feedback along with brand new content that focuses on what people want to see!

I understand and agree that a good chunk of what was posted looks odd and "wrong". Not sure what our beta testers are running with to create lighting and shading effects (or what resolution settings are in play), but maybe and other add-ons or brightness/HDR/gamma options might be part of it.  

Just for comparison, here are a few screenshots that I've taken using P3D and FSX:

01.jpg

1.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

15.jpg

7.jpg

There are also some screenshots and video (with more being added) at our website.

Also, to answer some questions: AS16 and ASCA are separate. AS16 doesn't contain graphics, and ASCA doesn't contain a weather engine. If you have preferences either way, you are not forced to use anything you don't want to. Using AS16 + other graphics add-ons is fully supported!

Please keep feedback coming and I hope that you will decide to try ASCA when released, as well as our separate weather engine product: AS16. The design goal so far was to create realistic immersion (including not overdoing shading/lighting/HDR) while being unique and also focusing on performance, which was/is a big challenge. But I can work on and provide whatever styles our customers and the community wants, and adjust design priorities to fit this. So I am definitely paying attention and am eager to work hard on what it is you'd like to see.  

Thanks everyone!

Hi Diana,

I got to try your new product at flightsimcon and was quite impressed. I know you probably met a lot of people but I was the guy that had the long conversation with kostas on Sunday about weather effects like turbulence and updrafts and I flew the NGX in the microburst scenario.

Single pictures don't do this product justice, from what I experienced it was quite a improvement over my current setup of ASN+REX4, in cloud effects were excellent and weather fronts looked more realistic from what I saw.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Diana, if you're using AS16 and ASCA together to get the interested live texture injection can you suppress certain sky and cloud sets from being injected? I like the idea but some sky color sets just look to unnatural to me and I wouldn't want certain one or certain cloud sets to be injected. I know that would narrow the options but wanted to see if that was possible.

Hi Jim, 

When using Static themes in ASCA you can pic and choose from the themes available or you can also create custom ones using your own selections. 

We agree that some styles and looks don't look best in all conditions. With our Global Automatic mode we've defined to only pick from the most natural skies and clouds. 

In his interview with AirDailyX, Damian had mentioned that you had managed to achieve a visual effect of cloud passing by the windshield which adds to the illusion of speed during cloud penetration. Is that effect a function of the weather engine or ASCA? I assume the former.

Hi Erich, 

Yes this would be a feature that AS16 provides. Full list of features here: www.activesky16.com

I got to try your new product at flightsimcon and was quite impressed. I know you probably met a lot of people but I was the guy that had the long conversation with kostas on Sunday about weather effects like turbulence and updrafts and I flew the NGX in the microburst scenario.

Hi Mike, 

Nice talking again! I do remember, and thank you again for talking to us during flightsimcon. Pictures can only capture so much, but looking forward to people trying it :)

Diana Lopez

Creative Media Designer

"High-Fidelity Simulation Technologies"

Wow, i'm starting to drool all over this thread...

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

The clouds passing the windshield has been a effect that has been missing forever, I am really excited about this product. As the saying goes "TAKE MY MONEY!!!" :smile:

Richie Walsh

Full list of features here: www.activesky16.com

That 'coming soon' banner on the site is so irritating when you want to experience all the new tech in the latest version of Active Sky! :P

Anyway, thank you, Diana and the team, for keeping us apprised of all the intricate details.

That is what you'd think, and I understand the reasons why they should be the same but for some reason they are not.

Regardless of texture size or compression format the REX clouds outperform the FEX clouds, and I can A/B this all day and get the same result.

The images below (in spoilers so I don't clutter the page with too much OT) are at 4096/32bit with 2xAA and FXAA. At 1024/DXT5 the frame rates are higher, but the percentage difference remains the same. Its a shame as I prefer the FEX clouds.

FEX

677185d209d7f17a48494154067884ba.jpg

REX

634661145f9475104db8ea0a6db11766.jpg

I'd like to test both sets of cumulus textures to check this. If they are identical sizes and compression with the only difference being the artwork in them, the performance should be identical, unless there is another factor that you weren't aware of that is coming into play.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It does look interesting still, looking forward to it.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I'd like to test both sets of cumulus textures to check this.

I've sent you a PM Jim.

I can't imagine what other factors there could be and I was very careful to test like-for-like. Maybe the cloud detail and AA is the awnser, as the file sizes are the same.

Hmmm prices are out. Seems everyone is taking advantage of P3D to increase them just a bit more, something i really don't like to see...

Why is P3D's version $10 more expensive?

• Upvote 4

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hmmm prices are out. Seems everyone is taking advantage of P3D to increase them just a bit more, something i really don't like to see...

56 Euro + 19 Euro + Local VAT (For me, 25%) ... I need a second job. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Yes with rex, no dynamic loading.

Even with the discount it's still very expensive. I'll have to reconsider unfortunately.

• Upvote 2

P3D cloud/weather system is not the same as FSX, there is more complexity to it in P3D (P3D also has it's own weather PDK that doesn't exist in FSX) ... specifically the visibility smoothing (multiple visibility layers) and use of volumetric fog ... these don't exist in FSX and need to be factored into weather generation ... so an additional set of features that need to be addressed/coded for the P3D version.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I'd also imagine there is some factored in future work as P3D continues to evolve vs. a static (and easier to manage) FSX.