Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Did they mention, minimum recommended system specifications?

They said they are still working on that, but if you have trouble running XP10 then XP11 is not going to help. Additionally they said that if you run XP10 on max settings, you are not necessarily going to be able to run XP11 on max settings.

Yes, definitely! But I also think about possibly do an update round to the HD / UHD Mesh at some point (nd bring it to v4) . Maybe next year ... We will see. But until then, you should have no problems using the existing HD / UHD Mesh Scenery.

Brilliant Andras, that's good to know. One thing I forgot to ask Ben, is the mesh being recut for XP11, or is it the same global scenery?

One thing I did forget to mention or ask , about the landclass files the .xes ones will they be with newer data ? I don't know how it works or the technology behind to get / make these files but my guess is that is what gets put into a mesh so if the .xes does not have good data or some, it looks terrible. e.g. Southern India where I made the mesh and the more i head south it looks real bad.

No, they didn't mention that ... but I can tell you about this part a little bit.

In the first half of this year (while I had a bit more time) I did an almost complete overhaul of the landclass data for X-Plane (which is then fed into RenderFarm to generate the final scenery - and is thus responsible for the texture allocation). You have to know, that the landclass data is not coming from a single source, but usually is a patchwork of different sources which I re-classify / re-process / re-mix to form a more or less homogeneous landclass system while trying to get out the best for each region (which has improved data).

Compared to the original XP10 default scenery, the complete(!) landclass data has been updated. Some of these updates have already surfaced via my HD / UHD Mesh Scenery series, but a lot is new even compared to that (only Canada / Australia / New Zealand / Hawaii and Himalayas have data which has not been updated this year and is thus already known from HD / UHD Mesh).

Here is my "official" list of landclass data sources:

Remember, that all of these are only the base sources, but almost all of them have seen quite some post processing by adding in more / different sources (like for example high resolution forest classification data etc.) to bring out even more details.

So, overall, the look of many many many regions (and yes, India is definitely one of them) will see quite some changes on how / where the textures are applied (even if they are still the same textures) giving the landscape a better / different (and hopefully more true to the real world) look than in XP10.

But also remember, that XP11's default scenery will still be (to make it fit on a set of DVDs) "low res" ... just like it was in XP10's default scenery. And at this low resolution, a lot of the landclass details might (or will) get lost. That's why - at some point - a new HD / UHD Mesh Scenery release might still be a good idea (I do not have a time line, but it might happen sometime next year).

Oh, and - I didn't mention above but - of course fresh OSM data will also be part of the equation (at the moment Laminars latest extract - which I created for them - is dated 24th of August 2016 .... relatively new I would say).

• Upvote 5

Everyone looks for something different in a sim. I find P3D really lacking for other reasons. P3D isn't going to change for us, it isn't a sim geared for us casual simmers (I say casual lightly as some people take it very seriously), and who knows what LM will do with the sim. .

Sorry, I disagree here, Tony. These last words apply to pretty much any simulator. Did anyone expect MS to bury FSX up until 2008?. And the fact that magnate 3rd parties like ORBX in contact with LM are focusing and pushing its use tells me without explicit saying it has a foreseeable quite bright future.

Anything beyond is open, of course - but this applies to any sim. Who thought Saitek would run into existantial financial troubles 2 years ago?

BTW, I just bougth the XP11 license. At a certain point I'd get it anyway, thus why wait any longer? 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Only just bought a download copy on Wednesday last week due to disc scratches on my boxed version. Does that apply for the free copy of 11? 

Found this quote on another forum - can't guarantee its authenticity..

If your order for a Digital Download copy of X-Plane 10 was placed within four weeks before our announcement this morning (that is, your order was placed Sept 9th through October 8th, 2016) then I will be able to offer you some type of discount on your purchase of X-Plane 11. E-mail me directly at 'info@x-plane.com' after V11 is officially released with a full copy of your receipt and I’ll get something worked up for you.

John

• Upvote 1

John Wingold

No need to be sorry if you disagree and you're actually correct. LR aren't exactly known for caving into user pressure and the sim generally seems to take a direction that is pleasing to Austin much to the annoyance of their users. This is why I was actually surprised to see a new UI. A G1000 and some other as-of-yet unannounced features are coming and these are things that don't seem to be widely requested but have appeared anyway. 

When I think about LM, I see a military company who are allowing us to use their simulator (My guess is most of the revenue for this simulator comes from us). LM have added features to this sim that are really of no interest to us (Well, I speak for myself here). I think P3D will slowly become irrelevant once Dovetail Games release their sim for the consumer market. I personally refuse to pay professional prices for an addon which is almost completely unchanged from the FSX version, only to have to pay for it again when P3D goes 64-bit, and there is only so much time users will fall for this cash-cow before moving on.

• Upvote 8

P3D is dead and ORBX is the stick poking it.

• Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Anything beyond is open, of course - but this applies to any sim. Who thought Saitek would run into existantial financial troubles 2 years ago?

I did. Owning two of their joysticks the X52 and the X52 pro, which was a replacement of the first one, that had similar problems only shows that their quality control and build qualities suck. Saitek newer again is my motto from now on.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

P3D is dead and ORBX is the stick poking it.

Troll comment

• Upvote 10

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Okay! We are not yet 24 hours after the initial announcement of XP 11 and a lot of people claim to be disappointed.

No new weather, no new seasons… Okay, okay! But it may be reasonable from a business standpoint to develop a new and up-to-date user interface in order to attract new customers (and we all know we – I meaning the entire flight simulation scene – need them to stay alive!). I guess that much more potential customers are holding back because of a 1990 user interface and a lack of good looking default planes rather than because of not 100 % accurate weather and high-end cloud textures!

Let’s hope that there are some more little (and maybe not so little) surprising features (like new land class data - see Alpilotx's post above -, etc.) over the next weeks to come… And after the release we will see how it looks and performs.

Is XP 11 a leap forward? We don’t know yet! Is it a step into the right direction? It definitely is!

What do they say: The journey continues!

Many happy landings!

P.S. I would suggest to not turn this thread into one of the pointless XP vs. FSX/P3D discussions. To each his own.

• Upvote 7

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Good points DocBird.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Well....does anyone actually use the default aircraft? Think about it.....

well yes, the point was. p3d/fsx default atc is no great atc either. Both are pretty much unusable if you want to get serious.

• Upvote 1

Anybody knows which is the current "limitation" of X-Plane API by which addons can't depict weather near-like  FSX?

And, the fact that no proper Moon phases and daylight calculations are announced, together improved Weather and even ATC, doesn't mean it will not come along XP11's journey... After all it was along XP10 route that did the most significant step ahead of any competitor - 64 bit!

I'm only worried about having to spend Money upgrading my rig to run XP11 properly, even if never maxed out - just as I do not max out XP10 or any other sim, other than Aerowinx PSX and IL-2 Battle of ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Will the combo w2xp + photoscenery (Simheaven or self-generated) still be compatible with XP11? You know.. like many others I wouldn't like tons of gigs of photoscenery be wasted... ;)

Intel Core i5-13600k 32GB ddr5 5.6GHz - RTX4080S 16GB - Thrustmaster T.16000M TWCS - Meta Quest 3 - Win10 Pro - My YT Channel

X-Plane 11 is leaving FSX and it's forks behind. I would be surprised if we don't get procedural/coded seasons and nicer weather during xp11. The fog is a indication that they didn't forget it. I guess we also get VR and Vulkan support within xp11.

I took the same impression regarding fog/weather. It seems obvious.