Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

I'm one of Dan's testers on FSX Flyingside so I'll give him a call.

Thanks for that.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

well I think it sounds great. The new fog at 53 minutes into the presentation will be fantastic. that's one of the large missing elements for me. That, along with what appears to be a very good FMC that can be used in any plane that would have one, and the other updates to default aircraft - especially the Cessna and a 737 and a CRJ apparently - will make this a definite purchase for me. Laminar needs and deserves my support.

• Upvote 3

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I just can't believe after all the waiting for a new major version of XP (11)....weather wasn't the absolute *focus* of their efforts for the release.

Immensely disappointed.

Creating realistic training scenarios, especially for IFR work, is borderline impossible in XPX due to the awful weather presentation.

Given Austin's real world enjoyment of flying, I find it simply shocking that this has continued to get overlooked.

I just can't express how bummed I am about this..

• Upvote 7

My question about the new UI is, does it scale so that it is usable with larger monitors?  On my 55" 4K TV, the UI is so small it can't be read.

I just can't believe after all the waiting for a new major version of XP (11)....weather wasn't the absolute *focus* of their efforts for the release.

Immensely disappointed.

Creating realistic training scenarios, especially for IFR work, is borderline impossible in XPX due to the awful weather presentation.

Given Austin's real world enjoyment of flying, I find it simply shocking that this has continued to get overlooked.

I just can't express how bummed I am about this..

It's always seemed odd to me that as a real-world pilot, Austin has allowed the weather engine to remain in this state. 

Maybe because Austin is a recreational private pilot, he downplays any of the more dynamic systems because no recreational pilot chooses to fly in bad weather. So it just doesn't matter to him. It's different for pilots in scheduled airlines, bush pilots, S&R and EMS pilots, who all have to fly the mission regardless of weather and deal with it safely.

That's the kind of thing I enjoy in a flight sim: the challenge of dealing with hostile weather, and not just flying point-to-point in VFR conditions. Right now X-Plane doesn't have the tools for it. I hope Austin understands that we're not just looking for better eye candy here. Better fog is a start, but that's not a dynamic system. 

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

no seasons, no buy

Good buy ! lol

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Portraying weather like we would like, in order to be at the same level of other aspects modeled in X-Plane isn't really a requirement for any flight simulator meant to be used even as a training sim. ELITE and Aerowinx PSX are two excellent examples of top / professional products that have the simplest possible representation of weather, from a visuals point of view.

What matters is that the transition from cloud / rain to higher or clear visibility is represented somehow, that we enter cloud at an altitude that matches what is being reported and encounter it more or less at the expected "rate"... Low visibility conditions are also important.

Then, any effects of "higher" forms of precipitation, icing effects, wind shear and variability and gusts, turbulence, are additional aspects that matter.

All of these are more or less satisfactorily represented in X-Plane. Visually a lot better than in either ELITE or Aerowinx PSX :-)

Problem is any of the sims I have used completely forget about basic and fundamental features that any pilot, leisure or professional, ( should ) care about when going for an hamburger mission... Things like moist, at least in as far as dewpoint gives information about, and even geopotential height and the influence of temperature ( among other factors ) in it...

I hope that Austin and Ben, and the rest of the team find time to give some attention to further weather details along the life cycle of XP11.

• Upvote 10

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Just bought :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

My question about the new UI is, does it scale so that it is usable with larger monitors?  On my 55" 4K TV, the UI is so small it can't be read.

I know that Ben is aware and I think it will be fixed (UI scaling) for XP11.

Jan

Portraying weather like we would like, in order to be at the same level of other aspects modeled in X-Plane isn't really a requirement for any flight simulator meant to be used even as a training sim. ELITE and Aerowinx PSX are two excellent examples of top / professional products that have the simplest possible representation of weather, from a visuals point of view.

What matters is that the transition from cloud / rain to higher or clear visibility is represented somehow, that we enter cloud at an altitude that matches what is being reported and encounter it more or less at the expected "rate"... Low visibility conditions are also important.

Then, any effects of "higher" forms of precipitation, icing effects, wind shear and variability and gusts, turbulence, are additional aspects that matter.

All of these are more or less satisfactorily represented in X-Plane. Visually a lot better than in either ELITE or Aerowinx PSX :-)

Problem is any of the sims I have used completely forget about basic and fundamental features that any pilot, leisure or professional, ( should ) care about when going for an hamburger mission... Things like moist, at least in as far as dewpoint gives information about, and even geopotential height and the influence of temperature ( among other factors ) in it...

I hope that Austin and Ben, and the rest of the team find time to give some attention to further weather details along the life cycle of XP11.

I agree. From an "IFR trainer" point of view, the weather in X-Plane is totally sufficient and a lot better than what you get in most "real IFR trainers", including many Level-D simulators. So the argument "we need better weather, otherwise we can´t train real IFR flights" is not valid. If we go flying in our Level-D simulators at the training center, there are no towering CB´s or wispy clouds rushing by. The clouds aren´t moving, there are no cloud shadows, and they certainly don´t vary from area to area (as in you can see the front approach)...There is no rain falling, no snow, no snow on the ground, the runway´s aren´t wet, etc. You just stare at a grey screen until the airport comes into view (low-visibility effects are done quite well, though).

However, we are striving to simulate the "real world" here, and this includes realistic and intricate weather - portrayed in a realist and pleasing way. And there is quite a way to go in that regard ("6.5 out of 10", in Austin´s own words).

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 8

Well if LevelD simulators emphasize on well done low visibility effects then Laminar have their priorities right by first improving the fog effects.

Marcel

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

Only just bought a download copy on Wednesday last week due to disc scratches on my boxed version. Does that apply for the free copy of 11? 

I think so Ciaran.

To avoid using my disk 1, I created an ISO from the disk, and mounted this in Windows when it asked for the disk to be inserted.

LOL, Why am I hearing the FSX intro music in my head,when I look at the screenies?

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

One little note from my side:

I watched the Q&A video prior to my initial comment here ...

Sounds very good and i am really excited. Only downside, as pointed out by many others to is indeed weather and seasons, but otherwise this new X-Plane release looks superb!

:smile:

... and stick to my words "[...] only downside [...]", because this "only" means that it sure is no showstopper for me.

I will in fact get X-Plane 11 as soon as it is available, as i (just as many others around here) really believe that X-Plane 11 will evolve over time and become a wonderful flightsim indeed!

:smile: :smile:

Listen to the Q&A session after the presentation: I wouldn't be too negative about it.

What I understand is: The developers are aware of the "demand" in this regards and talk about their plans ("...see how snow builds up..."). It is clear, however, that better weather and seasons will not make it into 11.0 but both topics are on their agenda.

Sounds good!

+1

This Q&A session is *almost* more interesing than the presentation :-)

This session shows that Austin is aware of all this... and want to improve things... and when Austin want...

He often says 'not in 11.0' (if I understand well.. I'm not native english speaker).... note the 0... Be positive and remember there will be 11.10, 11.20, etc for free.

I sure am very positive regardeing X-Plane 11! :wink: :smile:

Here is the part of the Q&A regarding seasons and weather, so anyone could hear it by himself. The underline is that Laminar want to do it the right way, dynamically aas in real life. In XP11 run. Even Austin says that the weather rendering now is 6.5 out of 10.

So, they are aware, they are putting in the base, although it will not be in 11.00. X-Plane was, is, and will be a continues developed product. It is not one-off. If you want to wait to buy it until you'll see those features, that's fine. From any other aspect, XP11 is going to be leaps ahead of we all know today.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/pPyydyyu3zE?t=1h18m58s

I fully enjoyed wtaching!

Well.. Sure I expected more (weather/seasons etc) but I am really glad the release is so soon! Buying it obviously is a no brainer as updates are free and most of the time come with rather good things! [...]

I am actually quite pumped about this!

+1