Sign in to follow this  
Manny Ortiz

X-Enviro is OUT

Yesterday I was flying with xEnviro on IXEG 737 and decided to dial ATIS of local SoCal airport while overflying it at around 15000 ft. The wind was reported 250 at 50kts (while actual metar was something like 240 at 7).

As I initiated  descent toward my destination while ATIS stil broadcasting, the wind started to change somewhat proportionally to my altitude at around 70000 it was 240 at 40kts at 300 240 at 20 and so on.

Did anyone notice that? Could be XP11b5 ATIS bug or xEnviro?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

This might have been said before, i'm not sure.. but at least in VR + FI.. if you pass through clouds.. often as you pass through and look to the side, you will see the cloud become a 2D "wall".. it looks a bit ridiculous.. i guess part of the non volumetric thing to save fps.. i'm not sure if its a VR and flyinside effect or just the way xenviro does clouds (look good from a far, pass through them its like looking at pieces of papers floating by)?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Happens also without VR. That's the downside of 2D clouds I guess. But it's only a few seconds and I got used to it. 

Hans

This might have been said before, i'm not sure.. but at least in VR + FI.. if you pass through clouds.. often as you pass through and look to the side, you will see the cloud become a 2D "wall".. it looks a bit ridiculous.. i guess part of the non volumetric thing to save fps.. i'm not sure if its a VR and flyinside effect or just the way xenviro does clouds (look good from a far, pass through them its like looking at pieces of papers floating by)?

I use SMP 4 and FSGRW so I am only judging what you wrote from screenshots and videos of X-Enviro that are online. Both REX and HiFi figured out a while ago with their products that just taking a bunch of hi resolution photos of clouds and gluing them together as a bunch of 2D sprites  is not an optimal solution. It's better than generating 3D clouds, just because doing so would crush most older systems when they tried to display dense cloud cover. What both REX and HiFi did was to apply a blur filter to the original cloud photos that are used for the 2D sprite textures. What this does is the following. From far away, the clouds still look realistic. But at close range, the doorway effect of passing through individual 2D sprites is not as obvious. HiFi went a step further and added an "in-cloud motion" effect as the user aircraft passes through a cloud:

https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?6484-AS2016-In-motion-cloud-effects&highlight=cloud+motion

There are ways to improve the 2D approach.

FSX and P3D weather developers have it working pretty well after years of tweaking (remember the "spinning clouds" complaint?).

Edit: above poster beat me to it.

There are ways to improve the 2D approach.

FSX and P3D weather developers have it working pretty well after years of tweaking (remember the "spinning clouds" complaint?).

Edit: above poster beat me to it.

SMP does the same (or similar) thing. Their clouds are still 2D but with added together to create 3D illusion.

People yearn for 3D clouds, but most systems wouldn't be able to display them and maintain adequate performance. Someday ...

• Upvote 2

This is without a doubt the best in sim screenshot I have ever seen , in any sim. Did you touch this up at all? What ZL are those orthos? SkyMaxx can only dream of this. Well I think this does it, I'm getting XE this next week. Post it in the subreddit!

How did you get the 757 to work with the new beta my PFD MFD AND FMS aren't even showing

How did you get the 757 to work with the new beta my PFD MFD AND FMS aren't even showing

Are you using the new version 2? That's X-Plane 11 compatible.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Are you using the new version 2? That's X-Plane 11 compatible.

X-Plane 11 Compatible*. I really don't understand why they didn't just wait for it to go final.

Unless my memory is worse than I want to admit I think we are missing two posts here..... :Whistle:

• Upvote 1

Hans

No, but a little notice would have been kind. And seriously, the statements that were referred to might be of some interest for the community. After all, we discuss and speculate all day about our hobby and the others business. Better to close a topic when it reaches a negative point than to silently delete risky posts, IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

Hans