Sign in to follow this  
Manny Ortiz

X-Enviro is OUT

EDIT. Decided to hold all frustration for at least version 1.2 and see if it changes with that (the roadmap description is basically referring to this issue)

but this is what i'm talking about

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Well, I've been flying with XE since it has launched, and have not once run into the kind of display shown above.  I've flown a ton of bad weather ILS flights, and have not really found any strange phenomenon like shown, and find the XE experience to be good for nasty weather approaches.

That particular bug might depend on getting a particular set of META injected, but I've seen it several times and at different locations, like other places in western Canada. I saw exactly the same thing at Oban (Scotland).

If you can't accept non-perfection, perhaps investing in actual flight would be an alternative?

I spent enough years in actual flight as a commercial aerial photographer thanks. Retired now, safely on the ground and enjoying flight sims.

It's not a question of accepting non-perfection. It's a question of deciding between two commercial weather products that both have their own problems. Since I do a lot of low and slow flying, these sudden transitions in XEnviro are a problem that I hope they can fix soon. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

That particular bug might depend on getting a particular set of META injected, but I've seen it several times and at different locations, like other places in western Canada. I saw exactly the same thing at Oban (Scotland).

The reason is way simpler. If you check the gif above you can see how easy was to me to turn it on and off as i wished. So i could verify that it was simply due to the fact that i was transiting in and out of a raining thus xenviro was frequently swapping  XPlane weather settings between CAVOK to low visibility and raining and viceversa, It is impossible to not have that result if only what you do is that. unfortunately they have not worked on that yet  (programmed for version 1.2). Until now they have proved to be professional and prepared programmers so i guess we have to hold and hope.

Sad, but maybe you're more compatible with other sims, have you tried DCS?

Thanks but no thanks. If i buy a combat game/sim i expect it to be a well done combat game/sim. I already own many modules of Digital NON Combat Simulator, which is simply a mix of bugs and confusing concepts where war environment is one of their weakest point, don't take me wrong amazing flight model and avionics but it is just that. For modern combat game i already have BMS that fulfills by far what i look for in a combat game.

Love it or hate it, but when seeing that one of the lead developers is attending a meteorology class, it does make me think "Now, that's dedication" :-)

• Upvote 5

Love it or hate it, but when seeing that one of the lead developers is attending a meteorology class, it does make me think "Now, that's dedication" :-)

indeed, plus they are so professional and well organized as programmers. so i do regret having buying it this soon but at least i'm not hopeless as with the other weather plugin.

Wow just wow, i'm surprised how people have really low standards. I've seen so much suggestion for XEnviro implying that the only issue was about the clouds resolution and 2d looking and nothing related to a deal breaker like this. I clearly say that at this condition i suggest it to no one just like SMP. Incredible i've just wasted 70 bucks that i cannot get refunded. What really ###### me off is that i took 10 min to get disappointed. Just the time to buy it, install, select my home airport, depart just too see how it looks from above and boom.....

There is even the risk that this will be the last drop of water that will push me away from civil sims again. I hate to waste money on half working stuff (i'm a black or white person, there is no gray in between for me) and since i returned to civil sims i've wasted at least 150 buck (SMP+RWC, X-Life, World Traffic and now XEnviro)...not much for my wallet much but too much for someone who really hate to waste money. 

honestly with a black and white attitude you either quit sim world or just fly p3d with the few gold standard planes that work absolutley flawless (a2a, pmdg, fslabs and active sky) other than that you are ready for disapointment.

It's not a question of accepting non-perfection. It's a question of deciding between two commercial weather products that both have their own problems. Since I do a lot of low and slow flying, these sudden transitions in XEnviro are a problem that I hope they can fix soon. 

if you do not use ventura sky, it is acutally quite easy to switch between xenviro and skymaxx pro on the fly. ventura sky and other scripts sadly require restart.

• Upvote 1

if you do not use ventura sky, it is acutally quite easy to switch between xenviro and skymaxx pro on the fly. ventura sky and other scripts sadly require restart.

That's good to know, but right now I have SkyMaxx Pro v4 uninstalled completely, because I want to make sure that any glitches I'm seeing are from XEnviro and not some conflict or left-over elements from the other program. I'm not sure I'd switch back and forth anyway, aside from testing. It would break immersion doing it in the middle of a flight to get a different weather effect. I just want one weather plugin that works well enough.

It's taking a bit longer than I thought to figure out which weather plugin is better for the way I fly, because I can't set up a series of test conditions for XEnviro. I have to wait and see what weather it injects on a given day, in the areas I fly most often. Luckily it is winter/storm season in two of my main flying areas (Pacific Northwest and UK/Northern Europe), which is really the acid test for both plugins.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Anyone else having recent issues with version 1.06? Here's a screenshot from XP10, same is happening in 11.

I've included the metar from the screenshot. This started in the last week or so, prior to this it was absolutely fantastic, and depicted the metar very accurately. Have tried older Nvidia drivers, no change. System is Win 7 Pro. No other system, or sim changes. It happens at different phases of flight as well, sometimes it's while sitting waiting to go like here, other times in flight. You can actually see it coming across the ground/sky at you, if that makes sense. You can also see the fps is not an issue, never has been.

fog_zpsxf2mcgxo.jpg

metar_zpsioaqewyv.jpg

I have submitted a support ticket, will see what they have to say. I've tried with default weather in both, and FSGRW, and all is fine, so it's not a system issue.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Food for thought...the lead developer of SMP is a certified meteorologist. :) Good to see others take it seriously too. Weather is tough stuff!

• Upvote 1

Founder of X-Aviation

I think that's the same issue as previously noted by some users, apparently the weather is not fully updated when there is a transition from a period with rain to one without. 

@Muskoka, can it be that it was raining shortly before you queried the METAR?

Hans

Anybody having random crashes to desktop with Xenviro lately?  I can't seem to make it through a flight anymore without it crashing at some point in the first hour or less of flying.  Log doesn't show anything other than the crash.  Simply moving the Xenviro folder out of plugins fixes the problem and my flights are then stable, but obviously disables Xenviro.  This is on XP10.51.

Seems there's a thread about the same problem over on X-Plane.org.  Curious if anyone over here is having similar issues or might have some insight.  Guesses over there think it happens when it tries to update the weather and can't for whatever reason, but no solutions have been discussed.

EDIT:

Following up, I took a look at my xEnviroLog.txt and sure enough, last entry is:

[21:49:35] Downloading weather at 21:49

Which corresponds to the exact minute of the log.txt showing the crash for this particular crash.  Seems it is related to downloading weather.

My internet is rock solid stable though, 300Mbps cable connection. 

I tried to submit a support ticket but have yet to receive the confirmation email to even register on their support site.
Edited by be77solo

Following up from my last post, had another crash today after a 50 minute flight.  When Xenviro went to download a weather update, XP crashed to desktop.

It doesn't happen every time Xenviro updates weather, but for whatever reason it continuously crashes my sim at some point the moment it tries to update weather.  I can confirm my internet connection was fine the entire time, before, during, and after the flight.

This thread now seems dead, is no one else having this problem?

And, further concerns, a bunch of problem reporting threads were deleted over on the .org site under their support section.  I'm rather concerned with how this is progressing at this point.  Just an FYI to those curious about this particular add-on.  It's great when it works, but it often doesn't, and any support forum that deletes threads instead of offering help??? Well..........

Please, someone, tell me what's going on here?  I know Rich loves these guys and seems in contact, any thoughts?

Already report this... no answer yet. hopefully it get fixed..

Thanks for reporting.  Not sure what is currently going on with their support scheme.   Keep us posted, as all of us over on the their .org site are out of luck.

They responded to my issue above, asking for the log file, a little late for that. Anyways, it's still an ongoing issue for me, so I was able to send a log with a bunch of screenshots today. Haven't heard anything yet, but they have responded to my support ticket. Yes, when it works it's great, but seems unstable at best, at the moment.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro