Sign in to follow this  

Is P3D worth repurchasing PMDG Products?

I really want to get P3D because it seems like such a great flight simulator and FSX does not seem very "serious" if you will. Right now I have the PMDG 737NGX, 777-200LR/F with the -300ER expansion, that is quite a bit of money so I was wondering if I should make the switch and repurchase all of my PMDG products.Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would say it depends on how long ago you bought the original products:

I bought the FSX versions when they first came out, so I was happy enough to pay for them again,since I felt I had gotten enough miles from them to justify the second payment :)

I really want to get P3D because it seems like such a great flight simulator and FSX does not seem very "serious" if you will. Right now I have the PMDG 737NGX, 777-200LR/F with the -300ER expansion, that is quite a bit of money so I was wondering if I should make the switch and repurchase all of my PMDG products.Thanks.

Really, no one can really answer that for you. You could spend all that money and decide it wasn't worth it, then complain about the recommendation you received! Since you have the FSX versions and know what you get, only you can decide whether the outlay is worth it.

I have the PMDG 737, 777, MD11, B744 for FSX.  As much as I would love them for my P3D, I refuse top pay the higher price for the P3D stuff.  I can `rough it`with my FSX and fly my PMDG stuff ;)  Then P3D for everything else ;)

Bruce

• Upvote 1

I have the PMDG 737, 777, MD11, B744 for FSX.  As much as I would love them for my P3D, I refuse top pay the higher price for the P3D stuff.  I can `rough it`with my FSX and fly my PMDG stuff ;)  Then P3D for everything else ;)

Bruce

good frugal Answer... not everyone around here can claim to be called Mr. got rocks ...

Chas

• Upvote 1

Ibtl.

My thought?

No. There is no valid reason I have yet to hear for P3D versions of any product to be more expensive than the FSX ones.

Having said that, I will buy the pmdg 744 v3 for P3D.

• Upvote 3

I'll add that I no longer have PMDG products installed on my rig, and I haven't for about 2 years now.  It's a personal choice, and one I might revisit at some point but given that I stream a lot, demonstrate upcoming products and host the annual FS Web Conference, I'm not sure I should stream or discuss these products.  After all, I know what the difference/work is behind a product working in FSX and P3D, and having users pay for the same files twice is just not something I feel I can get behind, regardless of how good the product might be.

I might feel different if there was a $30 fee involved, but not only having to purchase the product again (same files = same product) but pay more money?  If everyone in the community had said no, we not only wouldn't have to have this discussion, but the FSL Labs wouldn't have done this either.

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 9

Believe me, if I was NOT married AND richer.....I would own the PMDG for P3D stuff too! :)

Bruce

Believe me, if I was NOT married AND richer.....I would own the PMDG for P3D stuff too! :)

Bruce

being married and experiencing the WAF ...it's not just due to a complaining wife… It's a matter of fairness vs selfishness in the allocation of a common, meaning, "shared", resource... namely, money.

Chas

Or you can try the DX10 Scenery Fixer.

You will have many features including GPU bound Sim was good performance excellent lighting shadows in the cockpit clouds shadows without any compatibility problems and easy installation and great support.

I've been using it for sometime with great results.

mike

• Upvote 2

I didn't get back into flightsim until P3D was well into v2... and only then figured out who PMDG was anyway. So I guess being a newcomer made me lucky...

But the best opinion I ever saw on this matter was the CEO of one of the biggest, most respected scenery developers shut down a topic on his own forum due to a mention of the practice discussed herein. Some folks here may know who/what I'm referring to but a devoted flightsimmer could probably track it down. All of us here spout off views all the time but, for me, that was a view worth taking to heart.

Or you can try the DX10 Scenery Fixer.

You will have many features including GPU bound Sim was good performance excellent lighting shadows in the cockpit clouds shadows without any compatibility problems and easy installation and great support.

I've been using it for sometime with great results.

mike

Not true FSX with DX10 isn't GPU bound ;-) it's still CPU only better memory management due to DX10 API.

Further P3D is a different sim compared to FSX, despite the great efforts from Steve his DX10 scenery fixer...

Only to get rid of the mouse bug will give you a gain in P3D of at least 5 FPS plus not to mentioned a whole list of difference and improvements.

As for the OP his question it was for me a fast decision when I moved to P3D to include those birds in my virtual environment.

Very much worth the investment. 

• Upvote 1

OP might be asking this in light of a possible 64bit release in near future

Near Future...... :dance:

My thinking on 64-bit is that we'll know about it long before it happens.  The amount of testing with developers is probably going to be enormous and it will leak.  Also, it'd be a marketing boon.  Clearly we want it but I'm not holding my breath.

Near Future...... :dance:

yeah I know..., made my morning. Hahahah

The advances in PD3V3 are worth the cost of updating your PMDG aircraft. I would also suggest that installing a SSD dedicated to PD3V3 and other flight sim supporting files like mesh and REX products is a good idea. Go in with your eyes open when you can afford it and you will soon be deleting FSX from your system.

My thoughts,

Greg 

• Upvote 1

I have been using NGX and T7 on FSX since they came out (I love the T7, which I believe is the best addon ever made for PC flight simulation) and I have never had a particular feeling with P3D...until V3.2 came out....from then on, a mix of hardware change and some "spot on" tuning have made me change completely my mind...I made my last 30 flights or so with P3D and when yesterday I went back to FSX I was shocked by the difference....!

So the answer to the OP is, if you fly regularly with these two addons, YES...without any doubt.... they are not cheap but in the end the "cost per hour" is very low compared to most of other hobbies...and again, once you have found your "sweet spot" on P3D, you will never go back to FSX.

Just my thoughts...

Ezio 

• Upvote 2

And I'm sure pmdg will try and find away too fleece you again. At least your not paying to beta test it which also seems to be the new thing nowadays

• Upvote 1

At least your not paying to beta test it which also seems to be the new thing nowadays

Can I interest you in an Airbus?

Very much worth the investment. 

And that's just it, an investment.  We are all investing in the advancement of the simulator and/or the individual developers' products.  How far you go with it is up to you.  There are countless forum threads here and everywhere else, discussing the pros and cons of all of the simulators, but it all comes down to what you want.  What might work for someone else may not work for you, so there is that to consider.  I fell into the trap of listening to a great many suggestions about how to set up your computer, tweak the sim, what add-ons to use, is it worth it, etc. but ultimately, I pulled the trigger.  I have some regrets, but I cannot blame anyone for it, and for what works for me now, I can also praise those who had suggestions I followed.

I've started to steer clear of becoming a lemming now and checked out the other side of the fence and I'm glad I did.  I'll occasionally fly in P3D, but for the most part, it's with the other simulator.  Everyone has their own desires of what they want out of their sim, so the decision is up to you.  We can only speculate on the future of the simulators, with one already advancing forward rather well, while LM is silent about what they may have in store.  Time and patience is all we need right now.

So I just calculated the pricing for my full upgrade to P3D and it is going to be about $400, would you say that is a normal or reasonable amount for upgrading to P3D? Of course it will be one add on at a time but still.

Only you can answer that question yourself; what is reasonable for one is completely outrageous for another.

I'd love to rebuy the 777 for P3d, but for me-and with the possibly imminent release of the 747-and my somewhat meager funds situation, I can't do it.