Encouraging results for the most part.  The Handbrake performance has me concerned though, assuming Guru 3d hasn't just mis-labeled the processors which were featured in this test.  An 8 core/16 thread chip beating a 4 core/8 thread chip in a video rendering test is to be expected.  Beating it by only 15% or so however, is concerning to those of us that actually use tools like this.  

Intel will probably slash the price or their 8 core CPU now, lower than Ryzen, thus collaring the market again.  :Tounge:

Intel will probably slash the price or their 8 core CPU now, lower than Ryzen, thus collaring the market again.  :Tounge:

That would be nice, and they certainly could, but then they would be admitting that they were ripping off HEDT customers that have purchased in the past few weeks/months.  Going to tick off a lot of people if they do...  Intel being Intel I think they will either drop prices by an amount which still prices their CPUs above the competition, or they will not touch MSRPs at all and instead use a huge marketing push + lots of rebates for OEMs and retailers to push their products.  Option 2 is what they have done in the past so I would expect more of the same.  

i am keeping my 7700k build i have.i am buying the new ryzen setup, i will post comparison with x-plane and p3d when i get my hands on it.

Encouraging results for the most part.  The Handbrake performance has me concerned though, assuming Guru 3d hasn't just mis-labeled the processors which were featured in this test.  An 8 core/16 thread chip beating a 4 core/8 thread chip in a video rendering test is to be expected.  Beating it by only 15% or so however, is concerning to those of us that actually use tools like this.  

Handbrake hardware confirmed.  1700 vs 7700k.  I'm more than a little worried now.

I just want it to run Xplane / DCS well and that's all I am bothered about

BTW what is Handbrake ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I just want it to run Xplane / DCS well and that's all I am bothered about

BTW what is Handbrake ?

Handbrake is a video editing application.  One of the most popular.  I use it myself.  In fact, it's the main reason I'm considering upgrading my media server from a 5820k to a Ryzen 8 core chip.  

Handbrake is a video editing application.  One of the most popular.  I use it myself.  In fact, it's the main reason I'm considering upgrading my media server from a 5820k to a Ryzen 8 core chip.  

Better hold on till more reviews are available when these chips are in the hand of end users. But overall it looks like a great chip

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Great chip if you need 6 or 8 cores but for games you'll have trouble getting anywhere near Kaby at 5 GHz.

According to Linus Tech Tips XFR only boosts frequency by 100 MHz even with high end cooling. So pretty useless if true.

• Upvote 2

Great chip if you need 6 or 8 cores but for games you'll have trouble getting anywhere near Kaby at 5 GHz.

According to Linus Tech Tips XFR only boosts frequency by 100 MHz even with high end cooling. So pretty useless if true.

I'm not surprised.  Any technology that starts with the letter X has to be a marketing gimmick  :Tounge:

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:38 AM

BaldyB, on 06 Feb 2017 - 02:07 AM, said:

AMD did show at an event how they were running a war game next to an Intel high end cpu and matching it's performance, they must have been cheating right?

So you got all this experience and you jump on the hypetrain because of a show by AMD?!? :-)

Come on, all I say is: Wait for a real benchmark. You don't need to write 25 lines just to look butthurt.

The benches are out, hope your not feeling "butthurt!"

BaldyB

Anyone else remember the hype preceding Bulldozer?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

'nuf said.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

this is good for our community. quite frankly Intel has been mugging us all off and not giving us much the past 4 or 5 years in terms of improvement.  sorry but going from an ivy to kaby isnt enough to justify the 350 dollar price tag to get 2 or 3 more frames after you overclock to 5 GHZ , if you are lucky. long live AMD to put pressure on intel!!

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080