5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Do you think AMD would do the same if they had a monopoly, no realistic competitor, charge a bomb? Of course they would, that's how commerce works. You charge what the market will stand

But AMD didn't! Intel broke the Sherman Act Laws, they knew the money would win even with breaking the law. They knew they could break the law as long as they had enough money to outlast AMD's financial resources and did so! What an innovative company Intel was, paying company's to NOT use AMD's CPU's. It's all a matter of record, if others like that kind of competition fine, I think it stinks!

The European union got wise to Intel and fined the hell out of them. Then AMD filed suit and won a $1.25 billion dollar settlement.

I say good for AMD, to heck with Intels dirty tactics.

Best

BaldyB

5 hours ago, OmniAtlas said:

Looking at the 1700x it wins in the multi-threaded department, but still below 7700k performance for single thread. 

Cinebench-R15-Single-Threaded.png

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-benchmarks-leaked/

Would P3D 4.0 be a multi-thread application? 

It would be interesting to see how an overclock 1700 performs. Then you could have the best of both worlds -- great multi-thread performance, and single thread possibly reaching Intels 7700k performance. 

^  That is Base clock... No let's see how an Overclocked AMD performs... Hmmmmmm - getting sweeter, AMD .. getting sweeter!

2 hours ago, joemiller said:

^  That is Base clock... No let's see how an Overclocked AMD performs... Hmmmmmm - getting sweeter, AMD .. getting sweeter!

That's also base clock on the I7-7700K and we know that one gets to 5Ghz easily.

So the Ryzen chips will need a decent overclock even to match the Intels base clock

Will Ryzen get anywhere near 5Ghz ? if not the price of those Ryzen chips does not look that appealing really compared to the I7-7700K

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Will Ryzen get anywhere near 5Ghz ? if not the price of those Ryzen chips does not look that appealing really compared to the I7-7700K

As I stated before. If it comes close enough what dose it matter. It's not just the price, remember when 64 bit multi threaded sims arrive the SMT will kick in! My old FX-8350 is far from the best but I can run PMDG's stuff with crappy IPC. With 52%  more IPC AND more cores for SMT how do I lose. Will you get 2-3 more FPS?

Best

BaldyB

AMD will slash the price too, think people will go for AMD this time around. Competition is good but playing dirty is not.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

11 hours ago, OmniAtlas said:

Looking at the 1700x it wins in the multi-threaded department, but still below 7700k performance for single thread. 

Cinebench-R15-Single-Threaded.png

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-benchmarks-leaked/

Would P3D 4.0 be a multi-thread application? 

It would be interesting to see how an overclock 1700 performs. Then you could have the best of both worlds -- great multi-thread performance, and single thread possibly reaching Intels 7700k performance. 

Those results are still very impressive considering the 7700K boosts to 4.5 GHz (n OC). As you can see, AMD pretty much beat all the HEDT competition. Whether or not you want HEDT for Prepar3D is a different question. It's always going to be a trade off between more cores or more clock speed.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

12 hours ago, BaldyB said:

But AMD didn't! Intel broke the Sherman Act Laws, they knew the money would win even with breaking the law. They knew they could break the law as long as they had enough money to outlast AMD's financial resources and did so! What an innovative company Intel was, paying company's to NOT use AMD's CPU's. It's all a matter of record, if others like that kind of competition fine, I think it stinks!

The European union got wise to Intel and fined the hell out of them. Then AMD filed suit and won a $1.25 billion dollar settlement.

I say good for AMD, to heck with Intels dirty tactics.

Best

BaldyB

But baldy... we don't know if AMD would have behaved exactly the same way if they were in Intel's shoes, the situation reversed, broke the same laws. They may well have engaged in the same nefarious activity if the situation was reversed. 

I can't find any links re AMD and the Sherman Act Laws, do you have any I can look at?

Don't think the "Sherman Act Laws" was rel;ted to Intel charging $1000 for a CPU was it? AMD would do the same if they thought they could get away with it I'm sure.

Re AMD XFR. What's your opinion regarding the revelation that it will only boost by a mere 100 MHz even with top-notch cooling? Given that earlier in the thread you were of the opinion that it would be an effective and significant overclock. Why did they bother with the tech for a mere 100 MHz which is meaningless? I'd be interested in your opinion.

2 hours ago, JimmiG said:

Those results are still very impressive considering the 7700K boosts to 4.5 GHz (n OC). As you can see, AMD pretty much beat all the HEDT competition. Whether or not you want HEDT for Prepar3D is a different question. It's always going to be a trade off between more cores or more clock speed.

30 points better single core for 7700K is actually significant, especially when we consider that the 7700K will also overclock much further. I'm still of the opinion that for most people, Kaby is still the better choice for gaming, simming etc.

Why is there a comparison with the 7700k ? I thought Ryzen is competing with the 6th gen Intel. We still don't know the actual performance of the Ryzen chips . It's better to wait till it gets in our hands.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Why is there a comparison with the 7700k ? I thought Ryzen is competing with the 6th gen Intel. We still don't know the actual performance of the Ryzen chips . It's better to wait till it gets in our hands.

Probably because the i7-7700K is faster and cheaper than AMD's best chip, that's not a great position for AMD to find itself in.

AMD needs to be significantly faster and much cheaper in order to  compete, and lets not forget that Intels compiler last time round produced code that leaves AMD chips at a disadvantage, i.e slower apps

7 minutes ago, Glynn said:

AMD needs to be significantly faster and much cheaper in order to  compete, and lets not forget that Intels compiler last time round produced code that leaves AMD chips at a disadvantage, i.e slower apps

More Intel dirty tricks!

BaldyB

11 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Probably because the i7-7700K is faster and cheaper than AMD's best chip, that's not a great position for AMD to find itself in.

What is this nonsense?  You can have your opinion and a personal preference but you're literally just spouting nonsense here.  A 7700k is not "better than" AMD's best chip.  There are already numerous benchmarks that prove this.  Take 5 seconds to Google it.  https://www.google.com/search?q=7700k+vs+ryzen&oq=7700k+vs+ryzen&aqs=chrome..69i57.2805j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8