Sign in to follow this  
wrberg12

Fed Up

Guess I’ve reached my saturation point in trying to mess with all this software to get it working properly. P3D v.3 is a nightmare – seems to work more poorly every time I boot it up. GSX and FS Dream Team are virtually unusable. All sorts of excuses with software representatives about what’s going on but the bottom line is that it just doesn’t work. I’ve got a top of the line Jetline system, plenty of power and I update all this software as recommended. I’m not a computer guy but I’m not stupid either and I’ve managed somehow to enjoy flight simulation since 1982 until now.

PMDG’s stuff is great. Never a problem. Virtually everything else sucks. I’m not one to want to tweak all this stuff all the time – I enjoy aviation and flying – not fooling around with software settings all day long. I’m a real world pilot and find that flight simulation is a nice adjunct to that and can actually be useful in flight planning and instrument practice – at least when it works.

Sorry for the negative tone but I’m frustrated – obviously. Guess I’ll turn off the computer and come back in a week or two – maybe some of it will have fixed itself in the meantime.
  • Upvote 1

Walter Berger

agree with you completely. Developers and their excuses for poor support or poor products are annoying at best. The program P3d itself seems to get worse as the versions come out. Its getting old and its getting old fast!

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

What bugs me the most is when you get everything running great, and then run an update on something, and immediately run into trouble. I have gotten to the point that if I don't have a roll back plan, after updating, I don't update. Period. 

• Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Give XP11 a try! If like me, you'll be pleasantly surprised ☺ I haven't loaded FSXSE or P3D, not even once, since XP11 became available . . . and the same goes for XP10. I too had had enough of 'tinkering' rather than flying in FSX and P3D. And that's putting it mildly!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DEw_WLdtHDE

• Upvote 2

I downloaded X Plane 11 demo yesterday cause I too am frustrated with P3Dv3 and X Plane ran worse than P3D. Maybe Aerofly 2 ?

Kevin Humphryes

Guest JustanotherPilot

Walt,

I totally agree with your situation. I had everything running sweet with P3D v3. My problems started with v3.4. I had continual memory problems particulary with VAS, I just could not complete a flight despite using the same addons and settings as with v3.3. No end of adjustments or tweaks would allow me to fly any longer than 30mins....UNTIL, my dedicated P3D ssd failed and could not be revived, I was devistated, all my aircraft, scenery and utilities - all gone! After 30 years of flight simming I seriously considered giving it up.

THEN, I decided to start again. I purchased a new hdd(no ssd this time) and set about doing a complete NEW install of the latest build of Prepar3D. The process took me the best part of a week to get it back to where I was pre crash...AND everything is running to a level I could never get before. I'm able to do 10 hour pmdg 777 long haul flights into the most VAS demanding airports with no crash, the system is running smoother with no issues, it has been rejuvinated.

I suppose just adding the minimal updates with each release was obviously affecting how the files were accessed, maybe some important ones were inadvertantly completely omitted.

Maybe you could consider 'biting the bullet',and do a complete NEW install, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. When running properly Prepar3D is awesome.

Steve

GSX and FS Dream Team are virtually unusable

Same here on the FSX  side, did one update  of GSX and its just been a never ending issue with all their products

In my opinion, software not being buggy is just a dream.

There are no nearly as much addons for XP11 or AeroFly2 as they are for the ESP simulators.

More software you install, more problems you are going to run into.

In the XP11 world, it can happen pretty much the same that a dev releases a software that performs bad, is filled with bugs etc.

And the lack of sceneries is just bad - until devs like flytampa, fsdt, uk2000 start releasing sceneries for xp11, the majority of the user base is going to stay with ESP.

I tried XP11, and the performance is bad, I don't know why. I have GTX980 and quite strong CPU, so I don't get it. Do I need 1080? Who knows? But I won't shell out $800 to find out...

What bugs me the most is when you get everything running great, and then run an update on something, and immediately run into trouble. I have gotten to the point that if I don't have a roll back plan, after updating, I don't update. Period. 

I've been doing exactly that since FS 98 and never looked back. Once I achieve stability I change nothing, especially Windows. Wprks for me.

Give XP11 a try! If like me, you'll be pleasantly surprised ☺ I haven't loaded FSXSE or P3D, not even once, since XP11 became available . . . and the same goes for XP10. I too had had enough of 'tinkering' rather than flying in FSX and P3D. And that's putting it mildly!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DEw_WLdtHDE

For me X Plane is a major step backwards. Too many things I love about simming are not in X Plane. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The reception of XP11 has been incredible! It's considered a big step forward by many. Its adoption by community is growing and will continue to do so. And we're still in beta!

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What is so odd about this is that many people have no issues.  I have no doubt what you are experiencing is real, just wish it was easier for people to figure it out and get the sim working properly.

• Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Aerofly FS 2 is fast and smooth and stunning visually.

Aerofly is too empty, it will take many years to fill it up to fsx/xp11 level of simulation.

I wish we could find a way to get rid of simmconnect. It seems every developer's out is pointing fingers at simmconnect. Nothing more frustrating than buying a killer machine with ssds and power gpus, doing fresh installs, getting everything running perfect and suddenly no response from the as16s and gsxs and proatcx. If there only was a more efficient option to talk to p3d.

Mario Di Lauro