Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

P3D v 4 in beta?

Imho it also would later this year.

I can imagine that LM first let several third party developers test it and prepare some addons in advance..

A naked P3D without any addon ..... yikes..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I hate airbuses in thew sim and love flying the Q400....   So last week I pulled the trigger and bought the FSLabs A320 because I hate Airbuses in the sim....  But this is a game changer.

I believe P3D is on route to becone a 64bit platform and I would happily pay for a $49 upgrade fee for the Q400 and FSlabs bus.

• Upvote 1

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

I hope to be wrong but full or large compatibility seems to me a sure recipe for an underwhelming release, like v3 was compared to v2, At that point in time, we need some break from the worn out ESP engine, some deep retooling at least and 64bit alone is not enough for simmers uninterested by tubeliners and megahubs. 64bit is interesting only if it enables new features (light rendering, air dynamics, atc,I etc.).

On the release date, there have been good hints that the beta is on but for such a large piece of complicated software, beta can take a long time...

On a side note, all the design choices would have obviously already been made and anything we say of little importance in any case.

• Upvote 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I don't think Orbx are going to charge for their addons to work with V4, this has been hinted at several times on their forums. For me at least a 64bit P3D with FTX Global, Vector, openLC and regions and their HD airports all installed by FTX Central 3 at no cost.... that is sim nirvana even with default aircraft.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Orbx are going to charge for their addons to work with V4, this has been hinted at several times on their forums. For me at least a 64bit P3D with FTX Global, Vector, openLC and regions and their HD airports all installed by FTX Central 3 at no cost.... that is sim nirvana even with default aircraft.

I think they've made it pretty clear that they will charge for upgrades....though they will be giving a hefty discount.

• Upvote 4

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

I won't be installing right away I'll stay with 32 bit until the first release bugs are ironed out.

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

They will charge for the transformation to v4:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/127868-emerging-platforms-pricing-policy-2017/?do=findComment&comment=1139155

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

To the folks who question whether v4 is in development, simply scour the you tube videos put out by various folks in the community.  A desk-top was inadvertently shown in one clip and there it was, a black Prepar3d V4.0 icon.  Won't mention who as I don't want to get anyone in trouble.   It was even mentioned in the video's comment section.

As to letting windows OS or the application manage memory, the OS allows provisions for both which is the best of both worlds.  Here is an example - the OS essentially uses an algorithm that keeps the most frequently accessed pages as close to the CPU as possible, so things "bubble" up from the hard drive into RAM, and from RAM to the L3 and higher caches, and finally the actual CPU registers where the real work happens.  This works splendidly for most types of applications, especially those that are business or productivity oriented.

On the other hand, the application (Flight Simulator in this case), knows something the OS doesn't....that you've been flying a heading of 270 degrees for 15 minutes now and that there is a strong indication you'll need the scenery just beyond visual range of your 270 degree heading, AND any associated add-ons that might need to come with it (custom towns or airports).  So in this case the application can pre-emptively request this data on the assumption you're not going to make a 180 turn soon and fly back to where you came from.

64 bit address pointers was only a matter of time but let's hope that thread distribution amongst the cores has been made a priority- because if it hasn't, our advancements in Prepar3D for the PC will be constrained by increases in CPU clock speed alone, which doesn't look to promising anymore.

Mark

• Upvote 3

1+

There is definitely a cost to update all of your Orbx products - been stated more than once

My guess would be 10$ to 15$ charge for each previously purchased product

Rich Sennett

Being mostly an X-Plane user (I do have P3D), I have a question. Does P3D v3 make better use of multicore CPUs unlike FSX or is this something we are hoping to see in v4?

P3D  does make use of the multicore for texture loading (this was a big improvement over fsx)..   but the primary thread is still single thread. So in V4  it is imperative to make that one to be mutlthread (a big challenge I am sure) to exploit the additional address spaces.. otherwise the benefit of 64bit addressing  would be short lived.

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Food for thought the lighting engine will be changed and in the case of XP when they did that the aircraft have to be updated to take advantage of said new lighting

Also other aspects of the aircraft such as functionality of the aircraft need updating - nice to see LM working on 64 bit - time to move on

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

My guess would be 10$ to 15$ charge for each perilously purchased product

If that is the case, I'll upgrade just Global and OpenLC NA and be done with it.  Otherwise I'd be looking at a bill in the hundreds.

If that is the case, I'll upgrade just Global and OpenLC NA and be done with it.  Otherwise I'd be looking at a bill in the hundreds.

Understood but there will be work involved and they have been working for free thru the P3D updating over the years about time they got paid again - no fun but fair

For me it would be very very expensive to have a 64bit P3D world that I knew in V3  and not willing to spend all of that money again - out of my price range at the moment

Not going to be just Orbx charging thats guaranteed 

Rich Sennett