Interested in the performance vs your old card in P3D. Or, is it worth the upgrade for this sim?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Would do about the same as a 1080 when it comes to P3D. What resolution do you run out of interest?

Thanks but I will wait for reports from actual users. It is not the same card as the Titan and is said to do better in fact. 

Considering P3D is mostly CPU driven you might gain a frame or two over the 1080..

• Upvote 1

I think you are correct John. Every time I update a video card I get a nice boost in most games but FSX and P3D only move up a couple of fps if that. I was hoping this would not be the case with the new card coming out and that is why I need to know from actual users if it does or does not before shelling out the cash. 

I also found that it takes a large overclock to make up a few fps in our flightsim. I overclocked my 5930k to 4.5 and gained three to five fps so clocked it back down to stock to save wear and tear.

I game and flightsim at 4k so maybe just add another 1080 for sli instead. 

A single card solution is always better than sli. Just sell your 1080 and get a 1080ti. 35% performance gain over a single 1080. More than enough for P3D even with 8xMSAA at 4k. 

1 hour ago, TheBoom said:

A single card solution is always better than sli. Just sell your 1080 and get a 1080ti. 35% performance gain over a single 1080. More than enough for P3D even with 8xMSAA at 4k. 

Agreed.  SLI is almost an afterthought for Nvidia these days.  After 13 years you think they would have SLI nailed down but they don't.  Plus you get to deal with drivers that break SLI in P3D every now and then.  No thanks.

The faster graphics cards shine in higher resolutions and with higher AA....

So for P3D in 1080p I would not go for the TI, but in 4K.... I will ;-)

I have my 1080 on sale already.

...or use the money on a pair of Oculus Rift glasses and a couple of Touch Controllers and the FlyInside software for pretty much the same kind of money.

Will definitely give you a bigger sensation compared to replacing your video card :smile:

Lol, Rift and Vive have a long way to go before I spend any money on them.

I still hope to hear from someone that actually has the 1080ti for P3D before deciding between it and/or another 1080 for sli. 

My preliminary conclusion so far is that if you know what the Titan X can do for your P3D, you could expect similar or even better performance from the new 1080Ti, for about half the price of the Titan.

Cheers, Ed

I would stay away from SLI. Some games don't support it, you read about constant struggle with profiles, micro stutters etc. So I would prefer the solution with one card.

14 minutes ago, swiesma said:

I would stay away from SLI. Some games don't support it, you read about constant struggle with profiles, micro stutters etc. So I would prefer the solution with one card.

+1

History often repeats itself...nothing really new under the sun here I'm quite sure when it comes to SLI vs non-SLI and latest gen Ti cards vs Titan cards but let's wait for what the OP asked for several times already...people who actually tried the new card out in P3D and can share the result with the rest of us.

You will need to run in 4K to make it worth it iv`e seen benchmarks were at mid res the 1060 matches and in some games out performs the 1080ti how it will perform is flight sim we will see.

Out perform the 1080ti? Can you link these benchmarks please. Thanks.

Well they are sold out at most vendors so someone should have one. As for the 1060 beating the Ti at low rez I would have to see those results and question their reliability. 

What's happening out there is the sort of thing that's become more and more common. Anticipating demand, people are buying up the cards in as much bulk as possible, and then selling them at outrageous markups on Ebay. 

You can get around this somewhat by using a site like the one I'm about to link, to keep up a realtime availability search at likely vendors. The site can send you alerts when cards are actually in stock (which can change by the minute!) and give you a fighting chance.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

What's happening out there is the sort of thing that's become more and more common. Anticipating demand, people are buying up the cards in as much bulk as possible, and then selling them at outrageous markups on Ebay. 

You can get around this somewhat by using a site like the one I'm about to link, to keep up a realtime availability search at likely vendors. The site can send you alerts when cards are actually in stock (which can change by the minute!) and give you a fighting chance.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/

That is insane. I am using the EVGA Step-Up program and am waiting for mine to come off back order. Not a bad deal at all if someone is looking at brands. If you have not heard of it, basically you have 90 days to upgrade your card through EVGA. You only pay the difference in price of the card and $15 in shipping. I am not in a huge hurry so waiting is no issue to me.

I think the Ebay Boogieman is a bit overblown.  I get only 400 hits if I search for 1080ti and 1080 ti.  Frankly, I believe this is a mishandled launch by Nvidia.  They simply do not have enough product for the demand and they had to know the 1080 ti was going to be a huge seller.  Also, from what I understand, AIB partners are perturbed at Nvidia because they were given very little time to develop their customized cards before launch (hence no AIB cards available at launch).

Was this rushed timeline a preemptive strike against AMD's Vega?  Perhaps.