Sign in to follow this  
Boomer

PF3 or Radar Contact?

Currently using RC4 but its dated and not being updated any longer.

ProATC...nope updates are rare and I don't want voice control/

So, is PF3 currently a good replacement for RC4?

Cheers.

spacer.png

RC4 is the best vectoring ATC software as of today despite its age and "funny" human voices. PATC does quite a poor job on vectoring, meanwhile SID/STARS guidance is okey, but it's not fun at all as the software is merely guide you from point A to point B. 

Bottom Line - stick with RC4

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I used RC4 for years, back in the day, it is pretty dated. I like PF3 , with the voices, it is much more immersive than PATC. Try the PF3 demo, it's free. The only downside to the demo is you are limited to 4 voices ( and not the best ones either) , while the full program has almost 150 voices. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Chris, 

I'd also suggest trying out the VOXATC 7 beta as it is a free, full-featured, time-limited (60 days) version of the software. It does require a  microphone.

Jay

• Upvote 1

Just now, jabloomf1230 said:

Chris, 

I'd also suggest trying out the VOXATC 7 beta as it is a free, full-featured, time-limited (60 days) version of the software. It does require a  microphone.

Jay

Thanks brother Jay but I dont want to mess with voice recognition, if I want to speak to an ATC I will use VATSIM.

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

RC4 is the best vectoring ATC software as of today despite its age and "funny" human voices. PATC does quite a poor job on vectoring, meanwhile SID/STARS guidance is okey, but it's not fun at all as the software is merely guide you from point A to point B. 

Not sure why you'd say proatcx does  a poor job when it comes to vectoring. The new version (update) seems to work fine here.  A few issues here and there but nothing major?

I'm sticking with RC 4.3 myself. Hopefully Mr. Dekker will consider making a version 5 for the upcoming P3D 4. Or maybe LM will make a better than satisfactory stock AI/ATC system.

I tried Pro Flight when it first came out, but there are just too many options and settings for every little thing. 

RC4 just grabs your plan gets a few important facts about your flight and you're set to fly. There is little room for an in-flight mess with RC4, it just works. RC4 also allows for all kinds of surprise situations or changes inflight without having to worry about a CTD or the ATC getting stupid.... An oldie but goodie. 

A big thanks goes to Pete Dowson for making sure RC4 works fine in P3D all this time!

11 minutes ago, pracines said:

I'm sticking with RC 4.3 myself

A big thanks goes to Pete Dowson for making sure RC4 works fine in P3D all this time!

Hmm, my RC4 tends to CTD with P3D, apparently a known issue.

I have tried the PF3 demo and it seems to have issues with vectoring at FAF etc, which RC handles fine.

spacer.png

58 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Currently using RC4 but its dated and not being updated any longer.

ProATC...nope updates are rare and I don't want voice control/

So, is PF3 currently a good replacement for RC4?

Cheers.

Pro-ATC/X has voice control? I have been using it for several months but didn't notice that.

ProATC voice is not the best out there, but you can record your own voice and put it in the software (which i will be doing in the near future).

53 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Which version are you using in PATC? I am using the latest version and they vector me very good actually. I have not tested detail in high terrain area to see if they will vector me into the mountain or not.

Every software has its own bugs, it is just the way you accept it makes it different from the others.

Cheers,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Just now, Boomer said:

I have never had RC versions 3 thru 4.3 CTD on me in FS9, FSX, FSXSE, P3D V2 thru latest version. All this time (going on 15 years) and never once have I had a CTD because of RC.  

If this was a known issue surely there would be a pinned post in the support forum. But Ray Proudfoot is there and is extremely helpful. Between him and Pete Dowson I'm pretty positive any ongoing CTD issue in RC4.3 can be easily solved. 

Well, regardless, the question remains.  Are there any advantages for this RC4 user to move to PF3?

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Well, regardless, the question remains.  Are there any advantages for this RC4 user to move to PF3?

As  I already suggested, try the demo and you can answer the question yourself. Otherwise it is like asking someone else if they will like lobster or not. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

As  I already suggested, try the demo and you can answer the question yourself. Otherwise it is like asking someone else if they will like lobster or not. 

Right, as I say I did.

Does anyone have both to compare?

spacer.png

In my FS world - RC4 is for USA/Canada, PATC - for Europe and rest of the world.

No CTD's on RC4 - one of the stable external software I have seen in my FS life, FS2002/2004/FSX/P3Dv2-v3. 

PATC - have the latest build. No CTD (never had), but still occasional sound-related stuttering and very boring SID/STAR modus operandi. 

2 hours ago, Boomer said:

I have tried the PF3 demo and it seems to have issues with vectoring at FAF etc, which RC handles fine.

What problems did you have with vectoring? If you post your problems on the PF3 support forum it probably can get sorted.