Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

VAS/Memory Leak/OOM issue - Request for info by LM.

Hi,

Could it be that we will soon see a solution for the VAS/Memory Leak/OOM issue? Persistence may be reaping rewards over at the LM forums as interest is now being expressed by one if their representatives, Rob McCarthy.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=124227

He is asking for more info to help narrow down the cause by reproducing the problem in-house. I know many believe most if not all NVIDIA drivers since 376.33 are implicated and Rob McCarthy has stated that LM have contacted NVIDIA.

Now I know many of you will be holding off in the belief that this will be resolved if/when 'Version 4' arrives. However, this does not help those of us who may prefer to stick with the current 32bit version for the foreseeable future. So, for those of you currently plagued by this problem, I would strongly suggest you take this window of opportunity by adding any relevant information you feel might be useful to the above thread. This could be your last chance.

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 1

Great if this can be solved once and for all.

For me, myself I have never had any OOM issues with P3D.. 

I really wonder why some cannot even reach the runway abd others can make detailed flights without any issues..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

The last post in that thread by marcon8122 shows the VAS leak quite clearly. And that was done with the most recent  version of P3d with no addons. How LM  can't be aware of this problem is hard to fathom. Or maybe they are preoccupied with more important  programming  issues. A few shingles fell off the 32 bit roof years ago. Now the whole roof is leaking.

• Upvote 1

Funnily its mostly GTX 980 Ti users, like me, that have had this problem.

I now installed the newest driver and it seems like the leak is almost gone.

Here is my flight UUEE-EHAM from today in VAS numbers:

Spoiler

Start: 2996 MB

Takeoff: 3220 MB

T/C (19 Mins into the flight): 3136 MB

1 Hour: 3156 MB

2 Hours: 3235 MB

TOD (2,5 hours): 3370 MB

FL200: 3492 MB

20 Nm from the ILS: 3535 MB

5 Nm from the ILS: 3788 MB

Touchdown: 3929 MB and almost OOM

40 minutes ago, Mitis said:

Funnily its mostly GTX 980 Ti users, like me, that have had this problem.

I now installed the newest driver and it seems like the leak is almost gone.

Here is my flight UUEE-EHAM from today in VAS numbers:

Hide contents

Start: 2996 MB

Takeoff: 3220 MB

T/C (19 Mins into the flight): 3136 MB

1 Hour: 3156 MB

2 Hours: 3235 MB

TOD (2,5 hours): 3370 MB

FL200: 3492 MB

20 Nm from the ILS: 3535 MB

5 Nm from the ILS: 3788 MB

Touchdown: 3929 MB and almost OOM

Hi Wayne,

With respect, I'm not sure those figures would inspire me with much confidence of being able to fly that route to completion. Have you tried checking VAS used/remaining after loading EHAM using the same a/c and flight conditions immediately following a fresh run of P3D? 

Regards,

Mike

4 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Wayne,

With respect, I'm not sure those figures would inspire me with much confidence of being able to fly that route to completion. Have you tried checking VAS used/remaining after loading EHAM using the same a/c and flight conditions immediately following a fresh run of P3D? 

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Loading up the PMDG 747 QOTS V3, ASN, FT AMS, FTX Global/vector/openlc EU gives me a VAS of around 3443 MB. So thats already quite bad but its to be expected with these addons.

It's definitely the Nvidia driver - I have a GTX 1070 and if I roll back to 376.33 or earlier I do not see the constant loss of VAS in flight. We spent a couple days thinking the 747 was somehow responsible back when this started due to the complaints at support - it's reproducible with default aircraft even though and does not occur in FSX or FSX:SE with the newer drivers, only P3D. Problem now is that rolling back to those drivers isn't possible for people with newer cards like the 1080 Ti. Also not feasible for those of us who play other games that require at least the "game-ready" version for that specific new game.

• Upvote 3

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

And now for something  completely  different. The Win 10 Creator's  update causes TrackIR to stop working. The only remedy at present is to update the nVidia  video driver. But wait, if I do that, I will get the VAS leak back again. So I blocked the Win 10 update until next week to see how this mess plays out.

Like I said above, 32 bit P3d is collapsing under its own weight.

44 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Like I said above, 32 bit P3d is collapsing under its own weight.

I hesitate to say it but if only you guys had decided to stick with Windows7........

So far, nothing Windows 10 has to offer has any relevance to me. Windows7 Pro 64bit is fast and stable and Support continues until early 2020. It's user flexibility is IMHO unrivalled giving me full control over everything I do. Doubtless there will come a time when the change is forced upon me but, until then, really there is no clear imperative to jump ship.

My 'weighty' P3D installation is cruising along very nicely thank you, as is everything else (Aerofly FS2, X-Plane 11, Orbiter 2016, Elite: Dangerous/Horizons, X Rebirth, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Project Cars). Yes, I too have experienced the occasional OOM in P3D, but they are infrequent. If this could be fixed then, for me, that would be the last piece of the jigsaw and I will be more than happy.

Mike

9 hours ago, Tabs said:

It's definitely the Nvidia driver - I have a GTX 1070 and if I roll back to 376.33 or earlier I do not see the constant loss of VAS in flight. We spent a couple days thinking the 747 was somehow responsible back when this started due to the complaints at support - it's reproducible with default aircraft even though and does not occur in FSX or FSX:SE with the newer drivers, only P3D. Problem now is that rolling back to those drivers isn't possible for people with newer cards like the 1080 Ti. Also not feasible for those of us who play other games that require at least the "game-ready" version for that specific new game.

Yea the issue isnt only with PMDG aircraft but with several other payware too. 

I hope that LM and Nvidia will find a solution to this, its the only thing that prevents me from enjoying P3D at the moment. I have great FPS, visuals but VAS is killing the fun really.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tabs said:

Are you sure it does not happen in FSX? I have FSX:SE and stayed on the 376.33 drivers because all the new drivers caused a VAS leak. I have held off on the latest Nvidia drivers just released (and a hotfix released the 14th)

they will never admit to a problem.  Its commercial suicide.   Please dont think for one minute that a huge multinational company (a defense company) cares about anything other than profit. 

Ive had it last night on a EGGW to LDDU routing out over east coast towards brusells, at about 6000 feet the vas just sunk.  I thougt I solved by vas issues by removing orbx hd trees and fsrealtime.  After 10+ succesfull flights.  It reared its ugly head again last night. 

14ppkc-6.png

If you are not urged to take the update path, this helps to avoid OOMs and other problems:

- stay with P3D 3.3.5 or earlier

- stay with Nvidia 376.33 driver

- if possible stay with Win 7/8 or be careful when Win10 makes its updates.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

7 hours ago, Cruachan said:

I hesitate to say it but if only you guys had decided to stick with Windows7........

So far, nothing Windows 10 has to offer has any relevance to me. Windows7 Pro 64bit is fast and stable and Support continues until early 2020. It's user flexibility is IMHO unrivalled giving me full control over everything I do. Doubtless there will come a time when the change is forced upon me but, until then, really there is no clear imperative to jump ship.

My 'weighty' P3D installation is cruising along very nicely thank you, as is everything else (Aerofly FS2, X-Plane 11, Orbiter 2016, Elite: Dangerous/Horizons, X Rebirth, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Project Cars). Yes, I too have experienced the occasional OOM in P3D, but they are infrequent. If this could be fixed then, for me, that would be the last piece of the jigsaw and I will be more than happy.

Mike

I understand your point, but this logic goes nowhere in the face of advancing technology and the requirement of simmers to have greater and greater realism.

The folks who remain with FS9 still today essentially have little choice. If they were given all the money they want in order to get the best PC, P3D, and all the add-ons they want, there is a 99.9% chance they would do it. But the fact is (NVidia driver or not), 32-bit flight sims today have no chance of continuing success no matter what LM tries, because flight simulation is driven by realism. Each new add-on increases realism and takes another bite out of VAS. This trend will never stop and this is why it is vital that 64-bit enter the scene.

We are flight simmers; let us not kid ourselves into thinking that "the old" is good enough - we all know it will never be good enough....32-bit is very old.