Sign in to follow this  
regis9

What does FSW do that other sims don't?

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

That's a feature that many devs added to their payware planes for FSX. Nothing new there.

Check out Lotus sim L39, Realair's Duke, and Bay Tower's RV 7. They have some of the best VC rain effects for FSX.

Except all three of those developers are no longer in business, and the RV-7 doesn't work in current versions of P3D. 

This thread veered off rather rapidly. To answer the OP, from what I can tell from my time n the sim so far, you've gotten pretty much the full answer: 64-bit and raindrops. There are many frustrating omissions in the sim so far. We will have to see what gets added and fixed. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Add me too, you won't like my opinions either....

You may end up there eventually but I don't have a problem with people's contrary opinions, just the ones who are going out of their way to be obnoxious about it.

• Upvote 2

Give people power to really test their personality.

We are all allowed to share our opinions, and that's the beauty of this forum. Could we please keep it that way?

If you're upset about what someone has said, then keep it to yourself and suck it up - there's no need to insult each other. It just makes it worse for everyone.

Thank you.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, KavindaJD said:

Could we please keep it that way?

++1

The only thing I'm certain about is DTG better treat 3rd party developers like gold or this sim is going to crash and burn. Pucker up. ☺

4 minutes ago, MrSpeaker said:

The only thing I'm certain about is DTG better treat 3rd party developers like gold or this sim is going to crash and burn. Pucker up. ☺

You mean like ORBX & A2A ? 

• Upvote 1

All I can do is shake my head at this community sometimes. Vitriol is contagious and self defeating. 

• Upvote 5

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

Hello, I've been reading through this forum, both the positive and negative feedback, and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around what FSW does better (or has the potential to do better) than say P3Dv3 other than being 64 bit, which most of us assume will happen with P3Dv4.  Windshield rain looks cool, but that's not enough on its own.  

Dave

Hi Dave, DTG is in early access. A pretty long list of features are still missing, several flaws (to put it mildly) need to be corrected or at least optimized to an acceptable level and, first of all, serious issues with third-party developers need to be sorted out. Nonetheless, yes, there are positive aspects who go well beyond raindrops. Despite reports to the contrary, my tests at full resolution and LOD 6.500000 (the last one this morning over Manhattan) showed a pretty good stability and smoothness, something that I achieved in FSX-SE 32 only after a lot of tweaking and, of course, not without the risk of an OOM. I have noticed a very low or negligible level of popping and blurries compared to FSX-SE 32, but I read reports from people complaining about this (hard to tell here, possibly the reason depends on the hardware, the configuration and the resolution used, too early to draw conclusions). Moreover, all tests confirm so far that a significant part of the load is now transferred to the GPU instead of on the CPU, which is another great benefit along with 64-bit.

To put it short. It's all about your expectations, your readiness to wait for developments and, above all, how much you're ready to spend for this hobby. Yes, there is potential and room for optimization. If, how and when DTG will be able to provide a complete simulator with a decent level of quality and features, though, is still unclear. P3Dv4 is rumoured to be released sometime this year at 64-bit. I have no idea what they're doing with it, but, given their record and the fact it is already a mature product, I think it's safe to speculate that it will be a complete product. If you are OK with their price and their license policy, maybe that's the way you should go. Or, as an alternative, you might consider X-Plane11 and meanwhile keep an eye open on FSW developements.
Hope this helps.

Edited by barrel_owl
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

Hello, I've been reading through this forum, both the positive and negative feedback, and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around what FSW does better (or has the potential to do better) than say P3Dv3 other than being 64 bit, which most of us assume will happen with P3Dv4.  Windshield rain looks cool, but that's not enough on its own.  

In short if I'm happy with P3Dv3, and likely will be more so with v4, what does FSW offer me?  Where does FSW fit in the flightsim market?  Maybe it is more for casual users and it's not meant for me, if so fair enough.

I get that it's vanilla right now, and my P3D is heavily added on to, but even as a base sim, it's not clear what the advantages are of FSW.

I'm not looking to bash FSW, just genuinely curious and wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks

Dave

Not much. 

Bill Alderson

1 hour ago, frankielera said:

You mean like ORBX & A2A ? 

If you think interacting with only 3 developers (OrbX, A2A, Carenado) is enough to sustain their product, well... don't expect FSW to last long then.  Flight Sim itself lasted because of the plethora of developers both commercial and freeware.  It did not last because of a select few that got paid directly by the sim developer.

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Good gracious people. The early release was just last Thursday and now we are discussing just how bad it is, and "interacting with only 3 developers", no Simconnect, no this, no that.

This is an early release. It will not have the items currently available for FSX/P3D or any other sim at this point. I don't understand how anyone could come into this early release and not realize that.

Give it some time. If you remember, when FSX was released you would have thought the world was ending. With an entire catalog of faults people then forecast it's immediate failure. But, that didn't happen did it? Look where we are today. Same game different player. Give DTG a little time and see what happens.

I'm flying it and I have a smooth stutter free environment. I'm not into flying for the eye candy either. I expect DTG to address these issues if they don't just chuck it in based on the responses they are seeing.

I would have hoped that the Avsim community would have been more gracious than what has been exhibited the last few days.

• Upvote 16

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

9 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

Good gracious people. The early release was just last Thursday and now we are discussing just how bad it is, and "interacting with only 3 developers", no Simconnect, no this, no that.

This is an early release. It will not have the items currently available for FSX/P3D or any other sim at this point. I don't understand how anyone could come into this early release and not realize that.

Give it some time. If you remember, when FSX was released you would have thought the world was ending. With an entire catalog of faults people then forecast it's immediate failure. But, that didn't happen did it? Look where we are today. Same game different player. Give DTG a little time and see what happens.

I'm flying it and I have a smooth stutter free environment. I'm not into flying for the eye candy either. I expect DTG to address these issues if they don't just chuck it in based on the responses they are seeing.

I would have hoped that the Avsim community would have been more gracious than what has been exhibited the last few days.

Thank you!

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

That's a feature that many devs added to their payware planes for FSX. Nothing new there.

Check out Lotus sim L39, Realair's Duke, and Bay Tower's RV 7. They have some of the best VC rain effects for FSX.

And yet you said "vanilala fsx is so far ahead"... something that besides simply not being true, you now being in the 3rd party devs...

I think one this game has to contribute is performance and simplicity of use.   I cannot tell you how many hours and hundreds of dollars I have spent on this hobby to get it to where I wanted it to be for me.  Steams understanding of and ability to incorporate and consolidate add-ons and to reduce or eliminate various conflicts, etc., is worth its weight in gold.  A couple of days ago I was flying over Orbx scenery on "Ultra settings" and getting acceptable and smooth frame rates for me.  I understand that many people are heavily invested, both figuratively and literally, in this genre.  I understand.  So am I.  But there are definitely benefits to the 64-bit platform and the ease of use.   I say let these guys go for it!  If they can produce a better, easier to use product then kudos for them.  Perhaps more people will enter the hobby.  If not, then we will happily go back to our respective platforms.  But by all means, let us show each other respect.  We all have spent many hours learning, enjoying and understanding the world of aviation.  Anything that progresses that is a GOOD thing, and anyone attempting to contribute to it is our friend.

• Upvote 1

Why are so many people making excuse for this PAYWARE product because it is a so called "Early Release"
DTG have had a year since releasing Flight School to come up with something that people would say WOW.....not #####. 

However, I think our mistake as simulator enthusiasts was to expect an FSX 2017.  It's not. 
In terms of features even FS98 offered more.  

I wish DTG good luck, but I am certain that those of us who inhabit the AVSIM, or similar forums, are not their target market.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5