Sign in to follow this  
dal330200

P3Dv4...Why You May Want to Wait

7 hours ago, swiesma said:

I still don't understand that whining which is going on.

People wanted 64bit, LM delivered. And I guess we cannot complain almost ALL addon developers are releasing v4 compatible stuff within the next day. What did people expect? That 64bit and all addons are available on the first day? I cannot believe it -.- I always thought most of the flight sim community are grown man, not little cry babies :-) Guess I was wrong.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Obviously we (general public) are all in a learning curve here and everyone is enamored with "shiny and new" and everyone likes to make comparisons with the "old ways" but this is new to us all.  We are in to a new era of flight simulation and with that - we are essentially having to re-learn new ways of doing things.  Just be patient.  Slow and steady wins the race

2 hours ago, Griphos said:

Of course, this post is equally guilty, but at least it's calling out a different culprit, which is, I believe, people too ready to read any critique as complaining or whining. 

The hypocrisy here is deafening. Another worthless post disguised as clever insight. 

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote.
  • Upvote 3

Lol...complaining about whining...classic.

• Upvote 3

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

The hypocrisy here is deafening. Another worthless post disguised as clever insight. 

Hypocrisy doesn't make any sound. And the value of your post is...?

6 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Lol...complaining about whining...classic.

Exactly.

Personally I think LM have done a very good job with V4, specifically to compatibility.  I am actually quite shocked at how much stuff seems to work and how quickly devs have been able to get new installers out.  Just imagine if everything was broken and all addons had to be recoded from scratch.  It would take years to get back to where we are now and I can only imagine the complaining.  This is really an easy upgrade and no brainer for anyone who is going to be simming over the next number of years.

• Upvote 3

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

14 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Personally I think LM have done a very good job with V4, specifically to compatibility.  I am actually quite shocked at how much stuff seems to work and how quickly devs have been able to get new installers out.  Just imagine if everything was broken and all addons had to be recoded from scratch.  It would take years to get back to where we are now and I can only imagine the complaining.  This is really an easy upgrade and no brainer for anyone who is going to be simming over the next number of years.

This. If you'd have told me a few years ago that the move to 64-bit would only break maybe 10 percent of addons (with the needed updates all said and done) I wouldn't have believed it...

James

A few of you may want to take a step back, and read a few of the posts in this thread again. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that the OP and myself were not "whining cry babies" when we stated our opinions. My own decision to delay purchasing P3D v4 was based entirely on logic.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm in no hurry because truly--V4 is truly mostly identical to V3 for me as a user, especially as a user who does not get OOMs ever.  Absolultely some important and useful changes going forward, but it's hardly different enough to justify the cost, the time and effort to follow and install add ons as they come on board, etc.   Had LM decided to throw in some real newness, for example improve ATC to resolve some of its well known weaknesses I would happily have jumped in quickly and grown with it.  But as I said before, really, you will absolutely miss way more than you notice as new until all your cherished add ons are fully compatible.  And then you may or may not notice some of those important changes.

I'm hoping XP continues its nice improvements as quite frankly I'm sick of Orbx's pompous attitude and it is, and LM's stated dedication to something other than desktop simmers which is what almost everyone is in this forum.  I'd way rather support a company dedicated to their stated core users, not LM's charade of using desktop simmers as paying beta testers.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I don't expect to buy v4 anytime soon, as v3.4 works fine for me, and I've been doing most of my flying in XP11.  Also, a few of my favorite planes are from developers who are out of business, like RealAir and Sibwings.  I have some hope for updated .dll's from Doug for the RealAir birds, but no way Sibwings will update the Colt or Pitts or Birddog.  Three planes I would very much not like to live without.  And I'm not going to keep my 231 gb install of 3.4 around in addition to a new similarly sized v4 install.  

But, as James said, that this update to 64-bit has been accomplished in a way that allows for 90%+ of addons to remain usable, and mostly at no cost, certainly diverges from my expectations.  Wasn't the most common reason given for not working on a 64-bit platform is that it would break compatibility for almost everything?  

Impressive.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Griphos said:

...and I've been doing most of my flying in XP11.  Also, a few of my favorite planes are from developers who are out of business, like RealAir and Sibwings.   Wasn't the most common reason given for not working on a 64-bit platform is that it would break compatibility for almost everything?  

Impressive.

One of these days I need to commit to trying XP11 demo.  I'm a heavy user of FSCaptain who is now working to make their product V4 compatible, and I won't go to V4 until they do.   If FSCaptain moved to XP11 I would leave P3D and not look back.  Between Orbx' pompous attitude, and the BS EULA w/ P3D I'd loved to leave them both behind and commit to companies dedicated to desktop simmers.   I do agree though--you are right it's quite remarkable what LM has done, even if the change will be hardly perceptible by many users w/o the highest end hard to start to show some of the improvements.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

A few of you may want to take a step back, and read a few of the posts in this thread again. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that the OP and myself were not "whining cry babies" when we stated our opinions. My own decision to delay purchasing P3D v4 was based entirely on logic.

There have been valid reasons/opinions put forth on both sides, it is all a matter of preference at the end of the day. I am also looking to hold off for addons and to see what the performance is like from other's feedback. I do plan to eventually purchase v4 as the autogen LOD increase is a big plus in my book.

Anyone looking to label you as "whining" for simply stating your thoughts...was not really looking for a discussion...just trolling to spark drama.

P3DV4 Default Baron no Orbx no AS16 FSDT KLAX & FT EHAM loaded. All sliders full on. Smooth as silk no stutters loiter for hours w no OOM. Very promising. Thanks LM!

6 hours ago, mcdonaldgt5 said:

P3DV4 Default Baron no Orbx no AS16 FSDT KLAX & FT EHAM loaded. All sliders full on. Smooth as silk no stutters loiter for hours w no OOM. Very promising. Thanks LM!

What are your specs?

I get micro stutters

With i7 4790k

2x titans sc  sli 6gb 

1600 ddr3 ram 16gb 2x8gb

Ssd for os

Ssd for p3d

Thanks

For me, the gut-wrenching enjoyment killer that was VAS exhaustion (OOM-ville) is ALL THAT MATTERS at this moment. Nothing else matters... nothing.  The add-ons will come, but I couldn't truly enjoy flightsimming for years now because of OOMs - this has now changed.  If you are a low-and-slow kind of pilot, maybe you never faced the OOM beast down, so I can understand that.  But if you are a heavy-iron long-hauler, your eyes surely have misted up with joy now that the BEST 64-bit platform is available.  Yes, waiting for the add-ons to arrive is somewhat frustrating, to be sure, but with P3Dv4 I KNOW that when I am able carefully plan and initiate heavy-iron long haul (say with the PMDG 744 or 777), I will be able to complete that flight now. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm going to do a 14-hour flight when the 744 is available and I'm just going to grin the whole way.

So, for my $0.02, I am GRATEFUL beyond measure that I will be able to complete long flights without the Russian Roulette of OOM.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.