Sign in to follow this  
dal330200

P3Dv4...Why You May Want to Wait

I get your point, and if one is limited by hardware or resources to running just one sim, then clearly P3dv3 provides more immersion and add-ons to enjoy. For me, my interest in downloading v4 was to set it up on another SSD as a test bed, so I could determine how well my hardware will run the platform with a future, and then add more scenery and aircraft as they become available. I recently upgraded my RAM and my video card in anticipation of the 64-bit software and its increasing demands on the system, so I will use these initial weeks of v4 to put these new components to the test, get used to the new interface, manipulate sliders and cfg files, and all the other crazy things we simmers do when we get a new flight sim app. For me, my "other sim" is still FSX, which will somewhat aged in locked in 2010 where development goes, looks pretty darn good with the scenery add-ons from ORBX and REX and the like, and can handle the PMDG, Real Air, Majestic, and PMDG fleet well enough. BUT, OOMs are a drag, and 64-bit opens up some nice possibilities for the future. I already have a 32-bit sim with FSX, so going to v4 now makes great sense to me, since I am a new convert to P3d.

I will happily run my FSX for a while, and gradually build up my P3Dv4 investment on the side, and eventually, FSX will seem so redundant and obsolete that I let it go. But if possible, keep a 32-bit sim on your system for the diversity of add-ons that provide immediate pleasure, while also setting up v.4 to be ready for the improvements it will bring to the hobby for sure.

Rich 

15 hours ago, flyerkg said:

P3Dv4 looks great performance-wise in a comparison video I just watched. I'm not close to buying this one yet since I just bought v3 a few weeks ago and XP11 just a few weeks prior to that.

Don't forget that LM has a 60 day money back guarantee. So you can get the refund and buy v4 :)

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

The way I'm looking at this is:  my v3 install had gotten pretty bloated and a little creaky.  I've been putting off blasting it and reinstalling things, though, because it's such a pain -- especially if you want to go slowly to test stability after each one.   By going ahead and making a jump to v4, I'm allowing myself a clean start *plus* the ability to slowly, iteratively add add-ons as they become available rather than just dumping the whole world into my sim at once and watching as a v4 install becomes as creaky as v3 was.

It's enforced discipline.

• Upvote 4

For me, as a FSX user, P3Dv4 is the logical choice. I agree with the OP with regards to waiting until all your favorite add-ons have made the move over. If my PC was up and running I probably would have purchased P3Dv4 yesterday as I am super excited to try a new sim.

I am kind of glad that my PC is down and I am being forced to wait. When the time comes to move to P3D, I would have read enough on the new platform to not feel like a total idiot when installing the new platform and the various add-ons. Speaking of add-ons, by that time, many will be available and my new sim will not feel "empty". I will have enough destinations to visit and continue studying the PMDG 747 as it should be released when I am ready to purchase P3D. There would be tons of material to read by then regarding tips to optimise performance for simmers with average machines. Maybe there will be one or two minor updates to fix bugs or even improve the platform's stability.  

So for someone who has NEVER used a version of P3D before, waiting isn't so bad. Since the launch yesterday, I have already learnt so much from reading the many topics on here about the sim. And I will continue to learn about the new platform, it's many features, file structure, and the various add-ons as the days roll by.

I love aviation, and flight sims like FSX and P3D are an affordable (compared to the real thing) ways for me to learn about something that I have been passionate about since I was a boy. Learning about a new sim is fun too...mostly...kinda. It's a lot of reading. AVSIM is not a bad place to spend the time waiting.

• Upvote 1

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

I still don't understand that whining which is going on.

People wanted 64bit, LM delivered. And I guess we cannot complain almost ALL addon developers are releasing v4 compatible stuff within the next day. What did people expect? That 64bit and all addons are available on the first day? I cannot believe it -.- I always thought most of the flight sim community are grown man, not little cry babies :-) Guess I was wrong.

• Upvote 6

On 2017-5-31 at 3:07 AM, dal330200 said:

Because once all of the addons are up and running, then it's worth flying.  So, for those who are deciding whether to switch over now as opposed to waiting should think about whether or not it's worth it.

John

Finally someone with some common sense 

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

I always thought most of the flight sim community are grown man, not little cry babies :-) Guess I was wrong.

You are wrong mate, login into everyones 2 favourite streamers channels and you'll see 2 twenty somethings screeching down the mics wearing yellow sunglasses acting like 12 year olds.  Then read the chat log of the 14 year old subscribers who pay them and you'll realise the community is knackered.  Then log onto vatsim when the kids are on school holidays and you'll have the same 13 year olds on Gatwick ground saying "suuuppp" after the read backs and not understanding what can icao filing strip is.  It's no wonder neither of them can't get a job within the aviation industry and the few of us that are get frustrated.

• Upvote 4

14ppkc-6.png

@tooting I guess you're right mate. Sad but true. My V3 was working without problems, but still I deleted it yesterday and installed V4. Sure, it is "naked" at the moment, but in the next days the most common addons like ORBX, AS16, the PMDG 747 will be available... And I think in about 2 weeks all major addons should be available for v4.

So, there are two options: Stay with v3 until your favourite addons are available. - Or: Install v4 and stop complaining :-) Pretty simple in my mind. But who am I to judge...

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, dal330200 said:

So, back to v3 I go, happily flying in my perfectly-tweaked, yet constrained by VAS system for a little while longer.

John

Well put.

At the moment we are seeing 32 bit applications being made to run in the 64 bit environment.

When the devs release true 64 bit applications, written to run in 64 bits, I am sure we will see some amazing software. With no limit to VAS,  graphical content can be increased. However, then the VRam usage will increase and I surmise 4 GB GPU's will require upgrading to display all the super eye candy.

At least for now all those sliders can be increased without a Oom. 

Bottom line is, without an optimised 64 bit add on, those frame rates will stay the same.

Best regards

David

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote.

If it's anything like the 64 bit digital combat sim then when fully loaded your GPU will be screaming.. About time! 

ZORAN

Wow talk about a "glass half empty" response to one of the most anticipated releases since LM released version 1.
Apart from the OP stating the obvious I seem to recall quite a few folk getting all bent out of shape about having to buy all new programs due to P3D4 being 64 bit.
We now find that quite a few add ons work fine, others require some modification to installers etc and many others are being updated at no cost.

Grab a beer or 2, chill, and enjoy watching it all unfold into what will become a great platform....just give it time. It's only been out a day!!

• Upvote 4

Cheers

Steve Hall

2 hours ago, tooting said:

Then log onto vatsim when the kids are on school holidays and you'll have the same 13 year olds on Gatwick ground saying "suuuppp" after the read backs and not understanding what can icao filing strip is.

Oh brother, don't get me started with kids on VATSIM...

On topic, v4 a definite "go" now...get it setup, acclimated, and there are many add-ons that work with it now, among them the PMDG 744 this weekend I hope.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

On 5/30/2017 at 10:07 PM, flyerkg said:

I just bought v3 a few weeks ago

You can ask for a refund from LM if it's just a few weeks ago.  It's a stiff license fee, and since you are new to P3D why not wait a bit?  

As to the OP, I am not only wait for the AddOns developers to be clear of their support I am also waiting for the bugs to shake out, expect 4.2 in two months :laugh:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

On 5/30/2017 at 6:41 PM, sultanofswing said:

I Honestly do not understand it,  If you plan to buy V4 once all the addons are working than what is the difference if you buy it now without any addons?

Everyone has been screaming that they wanted a 64bit version of P3D, LM finally releases it and all people do is complain.

People have been complaining for years about the lack of 64 bit in fsx/p3d. Now that it's here, people can't stop complaining that nothing is compatible with it the day after its release. It never ends. 

• Upvote 3

Actually, the single biggest topic of complaint on this forum in all the years I've been here is OTHER people complaining. It never fails, as in this thread the last several posts. People talking about whether to buy yet or not and offering their reasons interrupted by numerous posts lamenting all the whining. THAT'S the whining that bothers me. How is it at all productive to whine about people whining?  Doesn't that just add to the overall whine quotient?  Particularly when, as in the posts above, the people whining about whining exaggerate the positions they are calling out to justify their critiques of the critiques  

Of course, this post is equally guilty, but at least it's calling out a different culprit, which is, I believe, people too ready to read any critique as complaining or whining. 

• Upvote 1