blackbird7

Any reason to upgrade from Pilot's FS Global Ultimate to Next Generation?

PILOT's site indicates that they are nearing the digital release of their Next Generation 1-m mesh.  I currently have FS Global Ultimate 5-m mesh, and was wondering if anyone who has upgraded saw any rendering or performance benefit?  My two main questions are:

1. Will my sim performance be better with Next Generation over Ultimate?  PILOT's site claims that NG uses "New algorithms for better data use and loading times. Less size and more detail nevertheless!"

2.  Did you have any problems running Orbx and NG together that you didn't have with Ultimate?  I've experienced very little issue running Ultimate and Orbx together when used in conjunction with the FTX AEC configuration tool.  PILOT's claims that NG is compatible with FTX products.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I make the jump from FSG Ultimate Americas, Asia and Europe to their Next Generation... The difference is noticeable in some parts of the world... but the main difference is in some islands that for some reason showed flat... with NG shows like it should...Performance wise is the same or slightly better (minimal)... Regarding issues with AEC... the answers is no... I only use free afcads because they are up to date (taxiways, runways, ils freq, etc) compared with payware... With P3D v4 I might return to payware... 

I'm at the southern tip of Africa. Have invested in both products and haven't noticed any appreciable difference in my part of the world..

Regards.

• Upvote 1

I have been reading that too.

Add to this the fact that he won't release P3Dv4 updated installers for the "Ultimate" series, and I will not be supporting him by upgrading anymore, will just copy files manually and be done with it.

• Upvote 2

The one major difference I noted in moving from Global Ultimate V1 to Global Ultimate NG was a significant reduction in loading time when first starting the sim.

With V1, the sim would pause at the 6 percent point for about 45 seconds when initially starting. Now the pause is only about 8 seconds - so their claim that they have implemented a more efficient way to deal with the loading of mesh would seem to be accurate.

Also, with V1 I would occasionally experience 3 to 4 second pauses in flight - especially when flying long trips. Much less of that with NG.

This was on P3D 3.xx, where I started with V1, and upgraded to NG. In P3D V4, I have been using NG from day one.

The size also 20gigs Global 2010 and 80gigs for NG.

15 minutes ago, angeli662 said:

The size also 20gigs Global 2010 and 80gigs for NG.

Not talking about 2010, which was their older product. Ultimate comes in 3 packs (Americas, Asia, Europe/Africa) and that installed is 100GB

42 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Add to this the fact that he won't release P3Dv4 updated installers for the "Ultimate" series, and I will not be supporting him by upgrading anymore, will just copy files manually and be done with it.

The installers for p3d v4 have already beeb released. Reinstall from disk 1, select p3d v4 and install only layers if u also have p3d v3xxc.

32 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

This bothers me, too.

29 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

The one major difference I noted in moving from Global Ultimate V1 to Global Ultimate NG was a significant reduction in loading time when first starting the sim.

With V1, the sim would pause at the 6 percent point for about 45 seconds when initially starting. Now the pause is only about 8 seconds - so their claim that they have implemented a more efficient way to deal with the loading of mesh would seem to be accurate.

Also, with V1 I would occasionally experience 3 to 4 second pauses in flight - especially when flying long trips. Much less of that with NG.

This was on P3D 3.xx, where I started with V1, and upgraded to NG. In P3D V4, I have been using NG from day one.

It's good to hear that there's some validity to the increased loading of mesh data.  

1 hour ago, Dexter1979 said:

I make the jump from FSG Ultimate Americas, Asia and Europe to their Next Generation... The difference is noticeable in some parts of the world... but the main difference is in some islands that for some reason showed flat... with NG shows like it should...Performance wise is the same or slightly better (minimal)... Regarding issues with AEC... the answers is no... I only use free afcads because they are up to date (taxiways, runways, ils freq, etc) compared with payware... With P3D v4 I might return to payware... 

Thanks for the feedback regarding issues with the AEC.  It sounds like it's something that I won't need to worry about if I make the plunge.  That's an interesting observation with the islands.  PILOTs does say that there's some "huge improvements" to North America due to their "double render technology," but I have no idea what that means.

15 minutes ago, mulgrave said:

The installers for p3d v4 have already beeb released. Reinstall from disk 1, select p3d v4 and install only layers if u also have p3d v3xxc.

Hi mulgrave.  Just to make sure I understand, PILOTs has released P3D v4 installers for the FS Global Ultimate V1 series?  I was under the impression that they only released them for FS Global Ultimate Next Generation.  

2 hours ago, blackbird7 said:

PILOT's site indicates that they are nearing the digital release of their Next Generation 1-m mesh.  I currently have FS Global Ultimate 5-m mesh, and was wondering if anyone who has upgraded saw any rendering or performance benefit?  My two main questions are:

1. Will my sim performance be better with Next Generation over Ultimate?  PILOT's site claims that NG uses "New algorithms for better data use and loading times. Less size and more detail nevertheless!"

2.  Did you have any problems running Orbx and NG together that you didn't have with Ultimate?  I've experienced very little issue running Ultimate and Orbx together when used in conjunction with the FTX AEC configuration tool.  PILOT's claims that NG is compatible with FTX products.

I installed FS Global Next Generation in P3D V4 and I used the updated installer for V4, because I installed FS Global NG in P3D v3.4 I only installed the layers.

Q1: performance no remarkeble difference, more details in mouintain areas, compared to FS Global ultimate

Q2: no problems at all running FTX ORBX and NG together. I have all FTX  stuff installed incl.  Regions.

Jac

1 minute ago, blackbird7 said:

Hi mulgrave.  Just to make sure I understand, PILOTs has released P3D v4 installers for the FS Global Ultimate V1 series?  I was under the impression that they only released them for FS Global Ultimate Next Generation.  

In the case of Ultimate NG, the updated installer isn't something you download from Pilots - rather, you insert the first DVD of the package, and run the setup program. If you have an active internet connection, it will download the updated installer. 

IF they have produced an updated installer for V1, it would probably work the same way. If you already have the V1 mesh folders installed on your hard drive, you don't actually need the installer - you can enter the links to the folders manually in scenery.cfg - as long as you put them in the correct place. They should be layered after a specific folder in the default scenery, but not being at my computer, I couldn't tell you which one at the moment.

I just installed the old product to a fake FSX folder and manually added the scenery to P3Dv4.  Works fine.

Are they really marketing it as a 1-m mesh?

Because that would be about 100 TB total, and I don't think even the Department of Defense has global coverage at 1-m resolution. Heck, even a 5-m global mesh would be somewhere on the order of 4-5 TB.

1 hour ago, mulgrave said:

This is incorrect. They only released installers for their new NG product, and have explicitly stated they will not release any for the older ones.

Yeah, i see no installer for FSGlobal 2010, yet i can simply add the entries into P3D and away i go. It'd take nothing to sort this out their end, yet they try and make you buy yet *another* version... not great at all tbh.. i manually installed and will not be bothering with them for now..

• Upvote 2

I used the updated installer, downloaded via the Ultimate NG disc 1, to install to P3Dv4.  I already had installed to v3 and the installer was intelligent enough to be able to re-use the existing files and simply update the v4 scenery.cfg to load the files.  No complaint.

I updated from the earlier products to NG and i do see a very nice difference in the US central plains, where it is not longer table flat but realistic gentle undulations of the terrain. Very nice.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stripealipe said:

Yeah, i see no installer for FSGlobal 2010, yet i can simply add the entries into P3D and away i go. It'd take nothing to sort this out their end, yet they try and make you buy yet *another* version... not great at all tbh.. i manually installed and will not be bothering with them for now..

Exactly..

I mean, I paid what, $100 for a PMDG plane and those guys rework the whole simulation to 64 bits, updates, etc. FOR NOTHING...

And this guy, I paid almost $200 for the full set of Ultimate and he cannot give us a lousy installer to do things neatly..???  And I'm not even "demanding" it's free, I would be ok with him charging say $5 like they did last time for P3D, but he still refuses to do even that to force you to buy a new product. Won't be getting it from me, that's for sure...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

This is incorrect. They only released installers for their new NG product, and have explicitly stated they will not release any for the older ones.

You are right, I thought you meant NG ultimate one. Sorry

I use Fs Global Ultimate for Europe in V4.

Just set the path in the library and that's it.

• Upvote 1

I'm confused here, is FS Global Ultimate Next Generation a rebrand of the old FS Global Ultimate? Or did they update anything else such as newer data, meshes, etc? 

and then there's also an FTX compatible FS Global package as well. So which one is the best one to get for P3D v4 if you have FTX Global, openLC installed?

5 hours ago, stripealipe said:

I bought FSGlobal 2010 but do not have it currently installed.  I do not see a way to download it from their site.  It looks like i have to get the new version?

FS Global 2010 is different and old I believe. The new version looks to me like FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation FTX.

6 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

Exactly..

I mean, I paid what, $100 for a PMDG plane and those guys rework the whole simulation to 64 bits, updates, etc. FOR NOTHING...

And this guy, I paid almost $200 for the full set of Ultimate and he cannot give us a lousy installer to do things neatly..???  And I'm not even "demanding" it's free, I would be ok with him charging say $5 like they did last time for P3D, but he still refuses to do even that to force you to buy a new product. Won't be getting it from me, that's for sure...

You own the older version of FSGlobal I suppose?  PMDG did write in their forum that the cost to upgrade to 64 bit was factored into the price of their aircraft which will be ported over to P3Dv4, you are not getting PMDG's upgrades for nothing.

You are also implying that an older version of FSGlobal which has been developed for older versions of the sim, which by the way have been rewritten, should be updated to run in these newer sims?  I am not sure if you understand the man hours involved in writing code, most dev's barely break even in these ventures. 

4 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

You own the older version of FSGlobal I suppose?  PMDG did write in their forum that the cost to upgrade to 64 bit was factored into the price of their aircraft which will be ported over to P3Dv4, you are not getting PMDG's upgrades for nothing.

You are also implying that an older version of FSGlobal which has been developed for older versions of the sim, which by the way have been rewritten, should be updated to run in these newer sims?  I am not sure if you understand the man hours involved in writing code, most dev's barely break even in these ventures. 

Oh please... Are *you* aware that there is nothing to re-write in the add-on itself? That people are manually copying it over and it works just fine?   Are you honestly comparing the work it takes to rewrite the simulation of a Boeing aircraft in 64bits to what it takes to update an installer...?  Let me re-write that also: Yes, I am getting the updates for no additional cost for something infinitely more complex and that I paid half for.  I don't own the "older" version, I own the one that was the latest until what, 4-5 months ago?  Lastly to your last question, yes, of course I believe it should be updated to run on the new version (even though as stated there is nothing to update in the product itself). That what almost ALL developers are doing...

Unless you're related to this guy, there is no way I can take your comments seriously...

• Upvote 1