Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Who is really behind P3D, does anyone know?

Thought I'd ask this as I don't remember this fully being discussed.  Where is development of P3D housed, what state, address, etc (we knew where Aces was, just an idle question)?  I live in Orlando where Lockheed has a few major factories.  Simming in various ways is huge down here, is it here in Central Florida?  Is there an end game with LH or this long term?  Why would a company like Lockheed take on FS in the capacity of embracing this community for a professional level simulator?  Is this just a nitch project for Lockheed where as a new CEO comes on board who could kill the series seeing no serious military contract advantage to it?  Are the developers old Aces members as the strides being made seem to be from people with more than a passing inside knowledge of the code?  These are just questions we've normally known about our core platform development in the past.

Seeing as this community is 'full on' embracing of P3D to a point if they pulled the plug (like Realair for example) there would be no where to get the base app like we have had with FSX/9 and the whole community would come to a halt.  It's good we have a sister product with FSW (which has a horrible marketing strategy at this point concerning third party developers) if the plug is pulled meaning third party add-ons can be brought over.  I love the fact two development houses has took up our platform I just wonder how far ahead in the future we can count on Lockheed.  Seems we know so little about the people behind the scenes and the long game.  If I missed something already discussed let me know.  I'd love to be able to count on Lockheed well into the future and if they ever get a crazy CEO shacking up things will this new platform still be available for us to download and new users have the option looking to get in the hobby down the road.  Lack of new simmers can kill our hobby, it's bad enough most don't know about P3D like they did the FS series.  XPlane has a bigger audience both professionally and hobbyist combined.   

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, Dillon said:

XPlane has a bigger audience both professionally and hobbyist combined.   

Source?

11bssuf.jpg

Not that that proves anything.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, jenxy said:

Source?

11bssuf.jpg

Not that that proves anything.

That did make me chuckle  haha

• Upvote 1

You left out FS9 & FSX combined over 1 million, still world wide the most used flight sim product as for FSW you could say it has not been released yet (early access ) we will have to see after year were it stands.

Ray Fry. 

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I'm confused. Are you saying that we can't know which way LM is going with P3D, so we should be putting our faith in XP instead? If so, isn't XP developed (or not) on the whim of a single guy?

Walter Meier

That doesn't sound right. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

If that were true it would have a lot more Payware developers than it presently has.

22 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

That doesn't sound right. 

No it sounds funny to be honest ;-)

• Upvote 1

André

The most of developers(the elite)agreed they will support P3D V4 only from now on. That speaks for itself

• Upvote 1

And this thread is ridiculous - idle minds...........

Vic

• Upvote 6

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors