Recommended Posts

Hello guys,

 

I have bin struggling with this issue for a year now, P3D stutter. I don't understand why? I tried everything. A week ago i tried a windows reset (Again 5th time) and reinstalled P3D and 3 addons, ORBX Global,

Flytampa EHAM (My home airport) and the 737 NGX by PMDG, and after all of this, (With default settings!) the sim is not usable with this stutter.

 

Specs:

Intel I7 6700K

Asus 1080 TI Strix

HyperX 64GB RAM

Asus Z170-A motherboard

(No overclocks)

Changes made to the system: None (No overclock, No NVIDIA inspector)
Changes to CFG files: none

Video's of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79i_bgjY0kc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpaffbnsqJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSYxEafzUbc

Thank you for the help, I don't know what to do anymore

Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you tried it without ChasePlane?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WarpD said:

Have you tried it without ChasePlane?

No not yet, Going to try right now, 1 second

 

Share this post


Link to post

A lot depends on what you have running in the background.before i use p3d i open the task manager and shut everything i can down.

too be honest you will never get a totally smooth sim,you can however cut alot of the pauses down,not sure what that menu popping up in the VC is.but i would get rid of that and any other programs you have running in the background.

 

steve

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, steve howlett said:

A lot depends on what you have running in the background.before i use p3d i open the task manager and shut everything i can down.

too be honest you will never get a totally smooth sim,you can however cut alot of the pauses down,not sure what that menu popping up in the VC is.but i would get rid of that and any other programs you have running in the background.

 

steve

 

with or without other programs running in the background makes no difference

 

Share this post


Link to post

Perhaps no need for me to point this out, but you do know that FlyTampa sceneries do have an impact on performances.

Share this post


Link to post

I think you will find it is one of the eye-candy scenery and/or aircraft are causing the stuttering.  Your system is not powerful enough to run P3DV4 with all settings maxed.  I know because I have a similar situation and I have a more powerful system and I have maxed out most of my settings too.  When I do that, I know I will get stuttering and pauses but haven't figured out yet which setting(s) to turn down so my eye-candy add-ons will not cause stuttering (or it will be reduced).  I suspect it will be one of the settings on the first page but I don't want to lower any of those.  Sometimes my stuttering is so bad it pauses for at least a second and I fear the sim will suddenly crash with a terrain.dll error (I do a lot of "oh no, please don't crash!).  I already had a BSOD as my CPU voltages were too high or too low during the flight so I lowered by OC from 5.0GHz to the optimal default, 4.6GHz.  I even have those fancy and most powerful in the world M.2 SSD's where P3D resides (and most of my add-ons). 

I'm wondering if any of the add-on developers, during their extensive testing, tested their product(s) with P3D settings maxed out (as they know many are going to max things out).  Hopefully you will find the cause(s) of your stuttering.  I'm going to accept the stuttering in my flights for now but one of these days I may reset everything to the default for my P3D settings and see what happens.

Best regards,

Jim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, impressive line-up hardware, Jim. First time I've taken notice. 5GHz without frying? Impressive indeed.

Share this post


Link to post

what does the 6700 run at stock speed,is it 4.0ghz ?.seems to me  that you should be outperfoming my I5 at 4.6,gtx 980.are you using win 10 also ?

i'm running dense autogen buildings and trees also medium water and cloud distance to 70mi ,5% road  traffic mytraffic @ 25% so i don't push my system hard at all and that leaves a bit of room for running addons.also remember p3d still ,mainly only uses 1 core ,the others are really only being used for scenery loading.someone correct me if i'm wrong.pretty sure that's how it's working at the moment.

 

 steve

Share this post


Link to post

I avoid stutters by locking FPS in sim to 20. 

Share this post


Link to post

If your monitor is 30hz capable, then set it and set Vsyinc ON inside P3D menu...

Ezio

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Robin, 

Looking at your YT vids it looks like your predominant stutters arise from panning your cockpit views with, ( joystick hat-switch ? ), or other conflicts in the controls portion of P3D v4.

Having a similar problem with EZCA I thoroughly went through controls and deleted ALL hat-switch, keyboard and arrow keys that had the same or dual functions, even though the view software indicated that conflicts were automatically adjusted!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pracines said:

I avoid stutters by locking FPS in sim to 20. 

That will work some of the time and an excellent suggestion but, according to my FSUIPC log after a flight, my average fps were 32 with a high of 65 and a low of 8 fps (you can turn on logging by going to the logging tab in the FSUIPC5 utility.  As you can tell, 8 fps is much lower than 20 fps so I can see where it will still stutter.  You are at 65 fps then suddenly 8 fps, then back up to 65 fps and then to 10 fps.  In my case, I believe it is the add-on Orbx SoCal as the stutters are more prevalent after waypoint HEC and on approach to LAX.  I do not want to give up my Orbx SoCal scenery (although the P3Dv4 default is nice too).  I think the OP will just have to do more research as there is no magic wand for fixing stutters.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post

From what I have read try this little test.  Remove all add-ons, set your display at 60FPS and your display at 60hz. See if you get stutter free. If you do then set your display at 30hz. and set you FPS at 30 or purchase a display that can. 

I tried this test and it showed me what true stutter free was all about.  But do not have a display that can be set at 30hz. nor can I maintain 60FPS so I have to live with it for now, but these are very small micro stutters for me.

The more add-ons you use, the more the load and harder to achieve a constant 30/30 or 60/60 stutter free environment.

Share this post


Link to post

My Dell 34 inch monitor will go to 30hz and may try this just to learn whether it works or not.  Like you said, the more add-ons you have the harder it is to achieve a "perfect" stutter free and blurry free flight.  I personally would like to see programming where the add-on scenery is used by two or three separate cores from the main program.  It is nice to have a sim like P3Dv4 that uses all available cores and think that helps a lot.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post

I think unless you run a bare-bones P3D (read: no add-ons) on a fast system, stutters are just part of the experience. 

Share this post


Link to post

I think I have found the cause of the stuttering - Scenery Objects.  Flew from NYC to Baltimore and suffered massive stuttering (default terrain).  Had no Autogen turned on, just the Scenery Complexity slider set to max.  Then saw tiny, tiny objects in the landscape trying to render like Autogen (I had Autogen turned off).  It would stutter and I would see many objects on the landscape rendering then be smooth and then stutter with more objects.  I turned off Scenery Complexity and no more stutters (the lowest setting is very sparse so you cannot turn it off completely).  After testing some, I turned the Scenery Complexity slider to Normal and got some stutters but they were rare.  Problem with turning Scenery Complexity to very sparse is you won't have bridges crossing rivers (yet you can still see cars and trucks crossing, no buildings for add-on scenery, no airport buildings or jetways,  just the terrain.  But it will be smooth.  Perhaps, if you're flying at FL240 you won't care about buildings and airport scenery and bridges and you can turn it off then turn it on to at least Normal during the descent (or during the takeoff).  Not a solution really but it appears to be the cause of the stuttering especially if you are flying a heavy or F35 or F16 at 300 plus mph. 

I'm still testing, time permitting but this appears to have solved my stutters.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I think I have found the cause of the stuttering - Scenery Objects.  Flew from NYC to Baltimore and suffered massive stuttering (default terrain).  Had no Autogen turned on, just the Scenery Complexity slider set to max.  Then saw tiny, tiny objects in the landscape trying to render like Autogen (I had Autogen turned off).  It would stutter and I would see many objects on the landscape rendering then be smooth and then stutter with more objects.  I turned off Scenery Complexity and no more stutters (the lowest setting is very sparse so you cannot turn it off completely).  After testing some, I turned the Scenery Complexity slider to Normal and got some stutters but they were rare.  Problem with turning Scenery Complexity to very sparse is you won't have bridges crossing rivers (yet you can still see cars and trucks crossing, no buildings for add-on scenery, no airport buildings or jetways,  just the terrain.  But it will be smooth.  Perhaps, if you're flying at FL240 you won't care about buildings and airport scenery and bridges and you can turn it off then turn it on to at least Normal during the descent (or during the takeoff).  Not a solution really but it appears to be the cause of the stuttering especially if you are flying a heavy or F35 or F16 at 300 plus mph. 

I'm still testing, time permitting but this appears to have solved my stutters.

Best regards,

Jim

 

Jim are you being sarcastic here or are you really saying you "solved" the stutters by basically turning the scenery off? No autogen and no scenery details on a high end system like yours - that must be a joke. How bad does it have to get until it's allowed to say that this software has massive issues and is practically unusable (unless of course you don't need graphic output on your 2017 simulator)?

Share this post


Link to post

Still testing.  As I stated, "I think I have found the cause".  I have Scenery Complexity set to Normal and when it is at max I get more stuttering from scenery objects loading/rendering.  I only suggested turning it down or off on Takeoff and Landings if you are going to fly a heavy at FL240.  In fact, my suggestion above does not work and I probably should not have posted it as I thought turning off Scenery Complexity (it does not turn off; goes to sparse) would solve the problem but it was a placebo and I have subsequently flown the same routes w/it off and the stuttering is just as bad.  And, you are right.  I do have a very powerful system and this is why I wonder why I have stuttering.  Have not rebuilt my p3d.cfg and that's the next step as that will bring me to default settings.  If I find a fix, I will definitely share.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now