Sign in to follow this  
Dusk

Top 10 Reasons FSW will be the next "Flight Simulator 2017"

Pracines, did your VR experience blow ALL your other sims away? Is that the future of FS do you think?

I think that the vid makes some valid points.

In the last year, I have gone from XP11 as my main sim (for GA flying) to P3Dv4, and now here comes FSW.

All 3 Devs are adding some nice features. However, I do think that FSW will “eventually” take the lead with newcomers and casual simmers (like myself). Features like the cold and dark tutorial and missions gives this sim a “serious” welcoming and teaching appeal.

DTG has a robust “core” product that doesn’t really need tons of addons to make it enjoyable.

What other features does DTG plan to release?.....Only time will tell, but they have made some serious advances in a very short time.

"Begun the flame-war has..."

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Instead of the bickering tone that seems to dominate this thread which is a shame, but rather we should be appreciative that we have all these options. Who knows if one day LM pulls the plug on all us so called "beta testers" and makes strict requirements requiring proof regarding the user base.   V4 as it stands has made a great stride forward and saying its nearly the same as V3 just doesnt make sense. Everyone is obsessed with tunnelvision only looking at it visually instead of looking at its overall structure and all that was done under the hood. 

That said, FSW IMO looks to have a ton of potential.  How that is developed will determine if that potential becomes the mainstream. Probably take another 2-3 years to have a rock solid foundation, plus to attract 3PDs and develop great addons. Until that happens the user base will be low. Only have to look at Aerofly 2 which looks great as well, but its only after all this time, and now addons are starting to trickle in that users will grow. 

XP11 is another great option and all these choices will just tailor to what you the user prefer as to their feature set and what addons you'd like to use.  

4-5 years ago I think it was , we were banging our head on the wall wondering what the future of our hobby was with not alot of promise. Now here we are in 2017 with great competition and CHOICE. 

• Upvote 4

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

5 hours ago, YukonPete said:

It doesn't prove anything! We don't know what setting you had set in each sim! It easy to turn down the setting on one and up on the other to try and make your argument. P3Dv4 has default HD runways so I find your post hard to believe.

I think you will find all you questions here, which is where the pics were sourced from. The fact is, in a blind test, someone picked v3, and I can see why. I am just as upset as you, so I raised my expectations. 

https://flightsimnexus.com/prepar3d-v3-vs-v4-performance-fps/

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

5 hours ago, davecessna said:

Ask a train sim user how happy they are with the base sim cost after the thousands in DLC they shoved down people's throats

Shoved down people's throats?  Did you think that nonsense up by yourself or are you just parroting what you've read elsewhere?  Sure DTG make most of their money by selling DLC but there's absolutely no compulsion to buy it.

49 minutes ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

I think you will find all you questions here, which is where the pics were sourced from. The fact is, in a blind test, someone picked v3, and I can see why. I am just as upset as you, so I raised my expectations. 

https://flightsimnexus.com/prepar3d-v3-vs-v4-performance-fps/

This is not a very good review. Trees and scenery configs in V4 are not the same as V3, so you can't even compare both sims.

• Upvote 1

Miguel Leandro

P3D v4 can be purchased and if you don't get the value, you can return it for a refund.

Those users who invested a lot of money on addons for FSX are seeing many of their favorite addons updated for free or a small fee to p3d v4.

I am not forced to buy any addon again, if I don't want to.

FSW is not complete yet. It has a long way to go, but so far the progress is impressive.

Without 3rd party support, it will never be the #1 sim.

Anyone who thinks otherwise as Steven A would say "should be drug tested." (That's a joke.)

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

For me it's a no-brainer. FSW is clearly the better sim out of the box for consumers/gamers than P3D. I bought both P3D v4 and FSW, and I was very disappointed in P3D v4. I still had to buy many addons to make it look decent (Camera addons, weather addons, GPS at double the normal price), so it was a huge amount of money (Thank you ORBX for being decent here, as I was close to giving up). Once I'd paid all that, I basically had the same sim I had in 2010 with FSX. I quite frankly find it offensive that people claimed it offers a lot over FSX, when to me it clearly doesn't, in fact it's worse, as everything costs more for very little gain (I didn't often get CTDs in FSX anyway).

FSW on the other hand, it actually looks like a successor to FSX. It has better ground textures (ORBX Global), the best clouds and skies seen in any sim, a great bunch of default planes, 64bit, a friendly/inviting/bright user interface making it very welcoming to new users and it's being updated constantly. The sim is actually fun to use and usable with 0 addons.

Anybody who is in doubt about DTG's intentions, watch this video. Both Laminar Research and DTG here really steal the show, whilst I'm not really sure why LM is even there?

I see the future of consumer sims being between DTG, Laminar Research and iPacs. Once our beloved addons start being released for DTG, I think opinions will significantly change.

• Upvote 5

Interesting thread, and one which I feel validates my own decision to stay with FSX-SE for a while longer.  Apart from having aircraft that I've paid for in FSX which is feel it's too soon to pay for again in P3DV4, FSW is suddenly looking very interesting. I don't buy the 2017 claim, but late 2018 or even 2019 will do me, and I suspect there are others in the same boat. With FSX-SE performing will enough, I think I'd be crazy to nail my colours (and several hundred yoyos :smile:) to the P3D mast without waiting to see what FSW is going to bring out on deck.

• Upvote 2

Why is it even being compared to any current sims ? It maybe an ESP platform but they are doing good things with Trusky and P3d is pure garbage for ME.  It has the best implementation of a sky condition i have ever seen in any platform, but it would need a real wx engine to make it shine. 

The only advantage P3d has over the others is PM3d that's what i feel or notice.

Both are based on the FSX engine and clearly notice FSW at least making a better visuals using trusky , only time will tell how it will compare to the current gen sims.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

9 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I see the future of consumer sims being between DTG, Laminar Research and iPacs. Once our beloved addons start being released for DTG, I think opinions will significantly change.

My view exactly.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

One last thing, those of you who are avid supporters of FSW, please let me know when the ground textures & LOD are improved. That will lead to a purchase.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

ground textures & LOD are improved.

I thought FSW already has ORBX global

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

They are using ORBX global but also have SSAO (ambient occlusion). For LOD, I honestly don't know what they've done, if anything.

As an experiment, uninstall or disable all of your P3D addons so it's completely vanilla, and then try and use the sim. I'd be absolutely amazed if anyone actually preferred P3D then. People forget that you get ORBX global built into the sim, AccuFeel, Trusky, there is no need to spend yet another $99.

Again, wait till the addons start appearing :cool:.

• Upvote 2