Sign in to follow this  
Dusk

Top 10 Reasons FSW will be the next "Flight Simulator 2017"

1 hour ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

That is p3d v3. The 2 year old sim. The top one is v4 which was recently released. Proves my point brilliantly from someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

In 2 years, DTG has accomplished more than Lockheed Martin has in nearly 7. Did people really pay for P3D for all sim director and control station updates? I think not. This is where consumer money should be. Not with a defense contractor who won't even talk to us. 

That's just a weird comment. The LM guys do plenty of talking on their own forum. 

I think in time Jordan will be proven to be right here.

The P3D 'non-entertainment' phenomena is indeed an awkward fit.   It sometimes feel like we (the sim community) turned up at a party that we weren't invited too.

Some seem to have major beef with DTG.  Maybe that's warranted; I've never owned or been involved with anything they've done previously, so I judge them on what I've seeing with FSW;  9 very, very strong updates in 3 months, and some areas of the sim (eg. weather) quickly moving towards the front of the market.

For what I paid for FSW, I'm happy already.   I love the weather environment, and I enjoy the default aircraft (which are above and beyond anything that we've seen to date as default aircraft in a sim.  I find them at least Alabeo quality :biggrin:).

I agree with Jordan's central point;  that it is perhaps better for us - the sim community - to support a dedicated FS entertainment franchise, rather than a defence contractor - I don't mean that politically!!! - I mean that DTG with FSW will have us as their market priority, whereas LM clearly need to meet the needs of their commercial user base.

• Upvote 13

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

In 2 years, DTG has accomplished more than Lockheed Martin has in nearly 7.

You are forgetting about the huge amount of respect that LM has gotten with the developer community the last seven years. MS lost it, and DT has not yet found it, LM continues to grow in strength in this most important area. Did anyone see how fast many major add-ons are already released for V4 at little or no cost? 

I don't think FSW will be ready in 2017 or 2018 at this very slow rate. Where is the SDK if FSW will be the next "Flight Simulator 2017"? December 31, 2017 will be here fast.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pracines said:

Did anyone see how fast many major add-ons are already released for V4 at little or no cost

:ohmy:  I'd say it was probably 50/50 between free/low cost upgrades, and significantly priced upgrades! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Bought a car years ago. Upgraded it to Sirius XM, GPS, dash cam etc,etc. Then I bought a new car that came with all that and a smoother ride. Love my older car, but it now sits in the garage...:dry:

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, JYW said:

:ohmy:  I'd say it was probably 50/50 between free/low cost upgrades, and significantly priced upgrades! :biggrin:

Not to mention us "pre-paying" for our PMDG heavies at increased costs from the FSX versions we already bought. Makes you wonder how many other products we prepaid for in those cycles. 

I think Robert's comment that was stated at the beginning of the video is most telling. It is hard to deny who the guardian of innovation for this platform is. And I would have much rather paid for my PMDG plane in FSW than have wasted money on their birds in v4 which I was never intended to be a user of to begin with. But no EULA discussions, means they sold you the plane at full price, knowing you werent conforming to the terms to begin with. Just shameful that we were led to think v4 was so great, when indeed it has turned out to be inferior. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

4 minutes ago, switch686 said:

Bought a car years ago. Upgraded it to Sirius XM, GPS, dash cam etc,etc. Then I bought a new car that came with all that and a smoother ride. Love my older car, but it now sits in the garage...:dry:

Now that is a great analogy!

• Upvote 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

30 minutes ago, JYW said:

The P3D 'non-entertainment' phenomena is indeed an awkward fit.   It sometimes feel like we (the sim community) turned up at a party that we weren't invited too.

Some seem to have major beef with DTG.  Maybe that's warranted; I've never owned or been involved with anything they've done previously, so I judge them on what I've seeing with FSW;  9 very, very strong updates in 3 months, and some areas of the sim (eg. weather) quickly moving towards the front of the market.

For what I paid for FSW, I'm happy already.   I love the weather environment, and I enjoy the default aircraft (which are above and beyond anything that we've seen to date as default aircraft in a sim.  I find them at least Alabeo quality :biggrin:).

I agree with Jordan's central point;  that it is perhaps better for us - the sim community - to support a dedicated FS entertainment franchise, rather than a defence contractor - I don't mean that politically!!! - I mean that DTG with FSW will have us as their market priority, whereas LM clearly need to meet the needs of their commercial user base.

great post .here is what some people fail to realize  "we (the sim community) turned up at a party that we weren't invited too. "    "clearly need to meet the needs of their commercial user base. "  

my uncle was a app developer for a big financal group here in the states ,  picked up an old app that the big boss wanted him to redevelop and offered him big money to work on . at the same time his coworkers offred him money to use the app and pretty much beta test his work at the end he gave his 2 weeks notice and sold the app to his boss ...  

Image removed as image is no longer available.

15 minutes ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Just shameful that we were led to think v4 was so great, when indeed it has turned out to be inferior. 

Really???  Bashing P3D does not make FSW any better  :blush:

• Upvote 2

Bert

I ditched FSX-SE for P3Dv4 and if I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have kept my $60 and kept FSX installed.  I haven't spent another dime on P3Dv4 because it's just not worth it in my eyes.  I see the future of flight simulation in FSW,  It may not be tomorrow or the next day, but it's coming sooner rather than later.  That's fine if 3PP are all-in for P3D for now...doesn't bother me one bit.  Much of the default features in FSW rival and even surpass some 3PP products in quality and function.  Nevertheless, FSW still has a ways to go, but all signs are pointing to a new leader of the pack.  My 2 cents

• Upvote 4

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

31 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Really???  Bashing P3D does not make FSW any better  :blush:

I dont need to bash P3D to make FSW obviously better looking, and I am not bashing it. I am simply upset that the most "populist" voices that we have come to trust, directed everyone with certainty to P3D or XP. So now we go and spend our money on an expensive P3D conversion, and we end up not even using the things because v4 is already obsolete a year after it is released.  

Do you feel like your best interests as a regular simmer are held in close regard by Lockheed Martin? Who told you that P3D was the future? Because with my own two eyes, I can see they were wrong. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

2 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

That is p3d v3. The 2 year old sim. The top one is v4 which was recently released. Proves my point brilliantly from someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

In 2 years, DTG has accomplished more than Lockheed Martin has in nearly 7. Did people really pay for P3D for all sim director and control station updates? I think not. This is where consumer money should be. Not with a defense contractor who won't even talk to us. 

It doesn't prove anything! We don't know what setting you had set in each sim! It easy to turn down the setting on one and up on the other to try and make your argument. P3Dv4 has default HD runways so I find your post hard to believe.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 hour ago, JYW said:

That's exactly what I think too. I'm better served with DTG than I was with LM. DTG's main focus is directed to us.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

So much ignorance and grand standing in this thread.

I don't see how anyone being honest with themselves could possibly say that P3D is a small improvement over FSX.

I also don't see how anyone can look at FSW and automatically assume it's the future.

We live in a golden age of flight sims that we haven't had since the mid 90's, and its perfectly OK to use more than one sim platform.  i myself spend about 80% of my time in P3D4 (mostly testing for Orbx), 15% of my time in FSW and 5% of my time flirting with XP11.

I like using P3D for AH2 simming, FSW for the missions and XP11 for something different. And that's okay... I think.

Stop ripping up a community to satisfy some ego, and get back to your plane, it's TOD and you need to manage the throttles...

• Upvote 2

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

29 minutes ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

I dont need to bash P3D to make FSW obviously better looking, and I am not bashing it. I am simply upset that the most "populist" voices that we have come to trust, directed everyone with certainty to P3D or XP. So now we go and spend our money on an expensive P3D conversion, and we end up not even using the things because v4 is already obsolete a year after it is released.  

Do you feel like your best interests as a regular simmer are held in close regard by Lockheed Martin? Who told you that P3D was the future? Because with my own two eyes, I can see they were wrong. 

You can jump up and down all you like. Are you just upset as many people have no interest in FSW?  If you have so much faith then stick with them. I lost faith in them long ago and still think FSW is awful. Oh yeah and last I heard DTG and PMDG don't even talk as DTG is trying to force developers to sell on steam and PMDG isn't interested! But you forget to mention that when you go on about PMDG saying its the future in a post more then a year old!

• Upvote 1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.