sidfadc

Freezes and mini pauses over Socal LAX region

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Since making the switch from FSX SE I have to say the performance of P3Dv4 over the LA Basin, particularly around KLAX isn't great.  I have all the ORBX goodies (Global, LC, Vector, SoCal region) flying a range of aircraft like the PMDG 737 / A2A Comanche and Real Air Turbine Duke. I do have FSDT KLAX installed alongside LatinVFR KSNA and KSAN.   My FPS per se isn't terrible but I get a LOT of frequent pauses or mini freezes lasting 3-5 seconds.  From memory this didn't happen (or nowhere near as much) using FSX SE.  I have all the options which may impact frames turned off in the ORBX SoCal control panel.  I have moderate sliders in the sim so I don't believe I'm pushing my system too hard.  Flying around the region I'm monitoring my CPU and GPU usage so I know I'm not bottlenecking my system.

For the record I have an i7 4790k at 4.0 (4.4 turbo), GTX 1070 (8GB) and 16GB Ram.

I understand SoCal is a drain on most systems so I'm not crying about getting 20FPS on final in KLAX.  What is frustrating is the frequent lock up and freezes, I fly a lot on Pilotedge which is predominately based in the SoCal region which dampens the experience somewhat.

Be interested to hear what your experience is flying around LA with a similar setup?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I see the same thing in many other locations, so it's not unique to LAX basin.  I wouldn't call them lock up or freezes, unless you changed the subject, but the term I like is a long frame.  For whatever reason, it is taking P3D a long time to render a frame and it has higher impact when your normal frame rate is high because P3D has less time per frame.  I think what causes it are scenery objects, such as models and terrain polys, rather than textures or vector graphics.  For now I accept it as simply a current problem to be resolved with better code and more performance.  I suspect that this is simply a limitation in the structure of the code that is not taking full advantage of multiple threads to do certain tasks.  I hope that is it because that certainly is fixable, maybe P3Dv4.4?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sidfadc said:

Hi all,

Since making the switch from FSX SE I have to say the performance of P3Dv4 over the LA Basin, particularly around KLAX isn't great.  I have all the ORBX goodies (Global, LC, Vector, SoCal region) flying a range of aircraft like the PMDG 737 / A2A Comanche and Real Air Turbine Duke. I do have FSDT KLAX installed alongside LatinVFR KSNA and KSAN.   My FPS per se isn't terrible but I get a LOT of frequent pauses or mini freezes lasting 3-5 seconds.  From memory this didn't happen (or nowhere near as much) using FSX SE.  I have all the options which may impact frames turned off in the ORBX SoCal control panel.  I have moderate sliders in the sim so I don't believe I'm pushing my system too hard.  Flying around the region I'm monitoring my CPU and GPU usage so I know I'm not bottlenecking my system.

For the record I have an i7 4790k at 4.0 (4.4 turbo), GTX 1070 (8GB) and 16GB Ram.

I understand SoCal is a drain on most systems so I'm not crying about getting 20FPS on final in KLAX.  What is frustrating is the frequent lock up and freezes, I fly a lot on Pilotedge which is predominately based in the SoCal region which dampens the experience somewhat.

Be interested to hear what your experience is flying around LA with a similar setup?

Thanks

I have pretty much the same set up to a T including the PMDG, Orbx, LAX, SAN and SNA.  I get a CTD every time on approach into SNA.  I haven't had issues out of or into SAN or LAX.  

Share this post


Link to post

Lol Orbx SCA is brutal on any system (especially when you add airports and payware acft).  I have all of their USA regions and that is my least favorite of all.  

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, downscc said:

I think what causes it are scenery objects, such as models and terrain polys, rather than textures or vector graphics.

Interesting, Dan.  I too am experiencing the same conditions but have narrowed it down to hi-res textures.  I test out of ORBX NorCal region and noticed that on approach to a simple GA airport (and even during taxiing) the mini-pauses/long frames went away as soon as I went to 1024 res textures (and I removed the hi-res versions just during my testing).  I haven't tested in the SoCal region yet... the problem is bad enough in the northern end of the state.

Are you using the ObjectFlow Beta?  I'm not having great luck with it... clearly more mini-pauses/long frames after installing it.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Hi all,

Since making the switch from FSX SE I have to say the performance of P3Dv4 over the LA Basin, particularly around KLAX isn't great.  I have all the ORBX goodies (Global, LC, Vector, SoCal region) flying a range of aircraft like the PMDG 737 / A2A Comanche and Real Air Turbine Duke. I do have FSDT KLAX installed alongside LatinVFR KSNA and KSAN.   My FPS per se isn't terrible but I get a LOT of frequent pauses or mini freezes lasting 3-5 seconds.  From memory this didn't happen (or nowhere near as much) using FSX SE.  I have all the options which may impact frames turned off in the ORBX SoCal control panel.  I have moderate sliders in the sim so I don't believe I'm pushing my system too hard.  Flying around the region I'm monitoring my CPU and GPU usage so I know I'm not bottlenecking my system.

For the record I have an i7 4790k at 4.0 (4.4 turbo), GTX 1070 (8GB) and 16GB Ram.

I understand SoCal is a drain on most systems so I'm not crying about getting 20FPS on final in KLAX.  What is frustrating is the frequent lock up and freezes, I fly a lot on Pilotedge which is predominately based in the SoCal region which dampens the experience somewhat.

Be interested to hear what your experience is flying around LA with a similar setup?

Thanks

This issue has been around since it was released. You will also get predictable flying houses in the coastlines. In FSX expect OOM too.

You have 2 options. Stay away from the heavy areas or uninstall. I chose to uninstall.

That said ORBX is still the best and one region doesn't change how awesome my sim is thanks to FTXG + LC.

Share this post


Link to post

Same issue here even flying GA in low populated areas.  Sure is annoying.  Southern California is the only region I have issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Same issue here even flying GA in low populated areas.  Sure is annoying.  Southern California is the only region I have issues.  

Yeah the weird thing is that flying into SNA is the only time I have issues.  Going into and out of LAX, SAN, and SNA is not a problem for me,.

Share this post


Link to post

This micro pause 2-3 sec is always there since P3Dv3 so not unique to V4.  You really notice them more over SCA but in other ORBX regions you will also see the same.  In non ORBX regions they are less noticeable but you know they are there.  The interesting part is that if you watch video from folks that have really powerful system, you will see them too.  That tells me that the engine has an inherent problem.  Rob A. has a suggestion to match the monitor refresh rate to your steady FPS count, which would reduce the stutter, but I can't use that because my monitor is a fix refresh rate.  This small stutters is something you will have to learn to live with if you stay with P3D.  This microstutter is the my biggest pet peeve, some can just ignore it but I can't.  The main reason why I have not used P3Dv3.4 for a while.  I was contemplating (gasp) reinstalling FSX-SE, but then the popping autogen then bothers me.  No win.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now