itay5344

What is the best YOKE for P3D

I want to upgrade my joistick to YOKE but I don't know what is the best YOKE.

My maximum price is 200$.

Some help please

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Tested 2-3 Saiteks which were in use by the exhibitors at FlightSim2017 at Cosford, never having used a yoke before, and it felt innovative using these to control large aircraft and C172s. An exhibitor was doing a Show Price Special bundle of Yoke+2 throttles but I could not locate the stand. Thinking of investing in one if Saitek can be bothered to respond to a query.

Having been strictly a MSFF2 user, using this yoke felt sort of realistic.

These days I'm using a Brunner CLS-E but that is not within your budget so I would then suggest the CH yoke as well.

Used not the Eclipse but the older model simply called CH Flight Yoke or something like that and it served me well for some 15 years or so.

38 minutes ago, Jetset408 said:

CH Eclipse - a very well built yoke!

10 minutes ago, ffantasy67 said:

Cheap, kiss landings, no probs:

http://www.chproducts.com/Eclipse-Yoke-v13-d-717.html

Cheers,

That actually looks pretty neat...! Didn't somehow see this one before. Lots of buttons and even throttle, prop and mixture controls. Funny little thing. How does the quality compare to that of the Saitek (which has no throttle, prop and mixture)?

8 minutes ago, J van E said:

How does the quality compare to that of the Saitek (which has no throttle, prop and mixture)?

I've used both Saitek and CH yokes and I would say they are very much playing in the same league when it comes to build quality and overall feeling.

However I personally prefer the CH yokes over the Saitek ones but I'm sure others will tell you the opposite. Very much a personal thing I guess which one you like best but either one will give you a great control in that price range.

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

I've used both Saitek and CH yokes and I would say they are very much playing in the same league when it comes to build quality and overall feeling.

However I personally prefer the CH yokes over the Saitek ones but I'm sure others will tell you the opposite. Very much a personal thing I guess which one you like best but either one will give you a great control in that price range.

Interesting. I've been thinking about a yoke and thought the Saitek was the only one to get in my price range. But this CH is in the same league (a bit more expensive) but seems to offer a lot more buttons, knobs, switches etc. and all that in one device. The Saitek throttle quadrant is a pretty big device on its own already.

The addition of the 3 levers on the CH Eclipse Yoke have been very useful, as well as the rudder paddles (even though I have rudder pedals, you will see below that I have found a use for it).

I use the 3 way switch on the front of the Yoke to change the profile for key and axis mapping. These profiles also include the CH Flightstick which I have plugged in.

I use them set up as:

1. GA aircraft - Flightstick & Yoke X-Y axis both enabled, Throttle, Prop, Mixture, Rudder paddle disabled

2. Airliners - Flightstick & Yoke X-Y axis both enabled (covers both Boeing and Airbus), Throttle, Prop disabled, Mixture used as Spoilers, Rudder paddle disabled

3. Majestic Q400 - Flightstick disabled, Throttle, Prop, Mixture disabled, Rudder Paddle used as steering tiller

So I use a combination of Flightstick and Eclipse Yoke when it comes to throttle controlling an Airbus or a stick-GA aitcraft. Saves on cluttering my desk with a separate throttle quadrant!

CH Eclipse CH Eclipse CH Eclipse. Had one for  9 years and never had any problems.  Sold it and no complaints from the simmer who brought it.  If you search the forums you'll see Saiteks having problems way more than CH Eclipse has. Just don't use the CH software.  More trouble than it's worth and the Eclipse works fine right out of the box.

1 hour ago, Jetset408 said:

as well as the rudder paddles

+1 to the above, absolutely handy for taxiing with autorudder disabled.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Interesting. I've been thinking about a yoke and thought the Saitek was the only one to get in my price range. But this CH is in the same league (a bit more expensive) but seems to offer a lot more buttons, knobs, switches etc. and all that in one device. The Saitek throttle quadrant is a pretty big device on its own already.

A good food for thought observation. I too may look at CHs. Pity they were not at Cosford.

13 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

Just don't use the CH software.  More trouble than it's worth and the Eclipse works fine right out of the box.

Unless you want to do some clever mapping like I suggested in my post. I actually found the software pretty good. Better than Saitek/Madcats version. But absolutely agree with you that it works out of the box and is not needed.

I've used a CH yoke for 15 years. They are pretty good for what they are. The elevator axis is probably the biggest issue with the yoke. They tend to get sticky and have a pretty loose idea of returning to neutral. But for the money, they do the job well enough that I haven't run out to get a different one since I bought mine in 2002.

I am interested in that new Honeycomb yoke coming out...well whenever it is supposed to come out.

Seems pretty unanimous that the CH Eclipse takes it. What about something around $500? VRInsight maybe? 

It pained me and my wallet to pay for a PFC Yoke 2 years ago, but I'm seriously glad I did.  Solid hardware investment is never a waste and completely changes your flightsim experience.

Might want to wait a bit before making that investment.  There is a new player coming to market in the next two to three months. Was featured on Avsim's front page what's new column sometime late last month. I believe the name was Honeycomb or something like that. Cannot count the times with this activity that I have found myself spending and then immediately afterwards seeing a better choice arrive.....

3 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

These days I'm using a Brunner CLS-E but that is not within your budget so I would then suggest the CH yoke as well.

Used not the Eclipse but the older model simply called CH Flight Yoke or something like that and it served me well for some 15 years or so.

Richard,

Based on videos I've seen, this has become the yoke of my dreams. How do you like the Brunner yoke? I assume it was not too difficult to set up. Are the forces and trim simulation realistic? How about forward and aft yoke travel...is it realistic? It's a REALLY expensive yoke, but appears to be the best of the best.

Curious if you also have their pedals?

Just thought of a few things to consider.  I have used both CH and Saitek yokes. Two brands, two approaches (no pun intended)

To what type of surface will you be mounting a yoke? Do you have a dedicated desk for sim use? Or will you mount the yoke for flying, then remove it when using the area for other purposes?  I do not have a desk dedicated solely to flying. My desk is an office desk with a decorative bull nose (front edge).  The reach of the CH mounting jaws was not adequate and the teeth of the lower jaws was not secure.  The yoke would occasionally come loose during flight,  Very frustrating. Later I created a desk by bridging a finished blank 36" door across two file cabinets. The CH mount's jaws would not open wide enough to fit until I purchased a set of accessory jaws from CH.  Don't know if they are still available.  I am back to a decorative office desk with bullnose and the Saitek I now use mounts easily and firmly.

The CH has a fore-aft rocker switch on the left hand pod, and the all directional hat switch on the right hand pod. After using the CH for about 10 years and wearing it out, I acquired the Saitek Pro Cessna Yoke.  It has the ht switch on the left hand pod. I am right-handed and did not find the transition easy. I still find it difficult to make fine view adjustments to the right. My dexterity with my left thumb with that motion is just not as good as with my right thumb was with the CH Yoke.  Also with the CH I used the rocker switch, though small, for trim control. That location and style is a more accurate representation than using the four way rocker switch on the left hand pod of the Saitek yoke. That rocker switch on the CH, though small, is a more accurate representation.

From a feature price point of view, the three control levers on the CH are juvenile in design. Tiny. Not realistic. So you might want to budget additional funds for a more representative control pod. Think about whether or not that then fits you budget.  The Saitek also has a built in USB hub, and with a small power adapter it is a powered hub.  It works well if you take steps to overcome Windows 8/10 Advanced Power Management (times out and reduces power to the USB port if it does not sense activity over a period of time like when cruising on autopilot).

Just some considerations.....