MarkN1232

I hate this

Can someone walk me through step by step how to install  P3D 4.1 I find the website completely and utterly vague. I uninstalled the client in 4.0, now how do I re-install it without having to do a COMPLETE re-install 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hop on You Tube and check out Matt Davis.  He shows you how to do it and saves you the trouble of having to reinstall all your addons!

Well if you uninstalled the 4.0 Client, then it follows that you install the 4.1 Client.

1: Download the Full P3D V4.1 (it will take awhile)

2: While that is downloading, uninstall P3D V4 client and content

3: When 4.1 is finished, install JUST the client

4: After client is installed, install content. 

5: Done!

3 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Why would you download the FULL 4.1 ?

Only needs the client and content.

3 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Why would you download the FULL 4.1 ?

Only needs the client and content.

You need to download the P3D content too, thats where the Content installer pulls the data from

2 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

You need to download the P3D content too, thats where the Content installer pulls the data from

Yes, but there's no need to download the FULL installer for that!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Just now, SierraDelta said:

Exactly.

Uninstall client 

install new 4.1 client

Uninstall content

Install new 4.1 content

It really is that simple.  Even a 4 star  army general at West Point with a new VR headset on could do it!!!  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

But it's easier than clicking download to ALL of the content stuff that is required for the Content download!!!!!!!!

Sooo, cont1.cab, cont2.cab and Install_Content.msi - that's 3 clicks, well 4 if you count clicking the + sign to expand the list.

Sure more than the 1 click for the Full package, but you save about 10 GB worth of internet traffic - and time.

1 hour ago, tooting said:

Uninstall client 

install new 4.1 client

Uninstall content

Install new 4.1 content

It really is that simple.  Even a 4 star  army general at West Point with a new VR headset on could do it!!!  

But remember when replacing the "Content" component you will also need to download the 2 associated .cab files.

14 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

This is bad advice. No need to download the entire 4.1.

If you have addon scenery added the old method you need to backup your scenery.cfg file as well.

This update process dropped on us by LM is pretty average at best. Completely forgetting that older addons exist and function well leave US to write XML code to enable them and god knows what happens with files inserted in scenery folders etc.

While LM marches on leaving developers and the community behind.

Thanks for nothing LM.

Meanwhile over in Xplane land 11.10 Beta updated pushing ONE button.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DEHowie said:

Meanwhile over in Xplane land 11.10 Beta updated pushing ONE button.

Kind of like flying an Airbus.

Not everyone likes Airbus.

• Upvote 1

Of course, if you ever need to install the full v4.1... and you didn't download it yet... you'll have to... so now... later... dunno why one wouldn't do it now.

• Upvote 2

I downloaded the whole package, uninstalled aLL OF 4.0, installed 4.1 in full.

All of my addons were still there, all of my scenery was still there, only had to reinstall some of the 4.1 updated such as FSUIPC, ASP4 and GTN.

That's how LM intended it, and they got it spot on - this update has been the least hassle ever :D

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

All of my addons were still there, all of my scenery was still there, only had to reinstall some of the 4.1 updated such as FSUIPC, ASP4 and GTN.

That's how LM intended it, and they got it spot on - this update has been the least hassle ever :D

Precisely how I did it, Kevin.

Will PM you re: Earth Sim for this platform.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Same here.  Not sure why all the confusion exists.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Kevin, genuine question: does this mean that all your scenery was installed using the addon.xml method?

That method is great and I absolutely install all the scenery I'm putting in manually with it. But a clear majority of the payware scenery I have is NOT using that method to install. So I absolutely expect that all of that will get wiped out by updating the way you and others are talking about. Right?

Unless I'm missing something (in which case please tell me!), there seems to be this disconnect where some are worried about a lengthy and cumbersome updating process, and others chime in, seemingly genuinely mystified because "it's so easy." But it seems like it in reality it can be really easy, or really hard, depending on what you've got installed. So in a sense everyone's right...

James

Just now, honanhal said:

Kevin, genuine question: does this mean that all your scenery was installed using the addon.xml method?

That method is great and I absolutely install all the scenery I'm putting in manually with it. But a clear majority of the payware scenery I have is NOT using that method to install. So I absolutely expect that all of that will get wiped out by updating the way you and others are talking about. Right?

Unless I'm missing something (in which case please tell me!), there seems to be this disconnect where some are worried about a lengthy and cumbersome updating process, and others chime in, seemingly genuinely mystified because "it's so easy." But it seems like it in reality it can be really easy, or really hard, depending on what you've got installed. So in a sense everyone's right...

James

No my original scenery.cfg was not deleted by uninstalling 4.0, nor was it apparently overwritten by the installation of 4.1.  All scenery, both add-on xml and scenery.cfg based lived on in 4.1, for me at least.  I was expecting to have to re-install the scenery.cfg based ones (or at least backup and replace my scenery.cfg file, but neither were necessary.

Similarly, all my previous 4.0 settings were carried over and remained unchanged in 4.1.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DEHowie said:

Completely forgetting that older addons exist and function well leave US to write XML code to enable them and god knows what happens with files inserted in scenery folders etc.

Completely wrong. Point.