FsLabs a320 released for P3Dv4

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, but surely the user is already an administrator if it is his/her own PC? Isn't that automatically set when you add your name during the Windows installation?

'Run as admin' was always a pretty routine recommendation in the FSX days, due to the problems a lot of people experienced with folder permissions when installing in the default location. At any rate, I do this for everything I run in flight simluation, whether it's actually necessary is a different question!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MachTwo said:

No, it isn't a straight port. It's an accumulation of over five months work, and we're one of the first titles to market for V4 that take advantage of many of the new features that P3D V4 offer. It is also offered for free to our existing customers on P3D v3. 

This is one of the reasons I purchased, I do understand how much work has gone into this release. Do you think there's much room for performance improvements due to P3D v4-unique features? There's a comment or two here that performance is less than in v3 (I don't have the V3 version to check against), so if that's true I wondered if a bit more tweaking by FSL might see some speed gains?

does this work with P3Dv4.0?

or

Do I need to the client update to 4.1?

1 minute ago, Manny said:

does this work with P3Dv4.0?

or

Do I need to the client update to 4.1?

4.1 is required.

Just took it around the patch a little after a no problem install. It will be nice to really fly this thing without memory problems. So far so good.

44 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, but surely the user is already an administrator if it is his/her own PC? Isn't that automatically set when you add your name during the Windows installation?

Yes Chris, good point. The very first user of the Windows PC has access to everything bar none, otherwise the PC could not be managed.

That's what seems very funny when we are also told to "Run as Admin" rather than the installer step up a notch and ensure the granting of permission to the actual files is done for us.

The real issue is that some think Run as Admin acquires permissions to all files and folders but it does not. Where permissions are required it's always best to grant the permission to a group that uses the software (rather than to an individual). That way it is set and forget. Who the hell wants to click OK to Run as Admin all day when it is entirely not necessary.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, georgio1952 said:

Good news, but i'm not going to buy it, i'll stay with PMDG....

Why? I totally get it if you prefer Boeings but the Airbus is a beast in itself!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, AccusedChip said:

Just took it around the patch a little after a no problem install. It will be nice to really fly this thing without memory problems. So far so good.

Amen!!  The best aircraft developed so far in flight sim and the one that most desperately needed 64-bit.  Thank God!!  Now we can finally fly it without worry of OOM!!  Can't wait!!!!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I have dusted off my Mike Ray manual.

Which one do you have?  Looks like there a couple of versions.  I thought about getting this myself.  Would you recommend it?

4 minutes ago, klamal said:

Which one do you have?  Looks like there a couple of versions.  I thought about getting this myself.  Would you recommend it?

I have the wire-bound one: ISBN 978-0-936283-19-7 The Unofficial Airbus A320 Series Simulator and Checkride Procedures Manual. Recommended.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I have dusted off my Mike Ray manual.

Me too!  Been a while since I went through it, but I'll be studying it again.  I think it's at the bottom of my box of manuals :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, klamal said:

I highly recommend Mike Ray's Airbus manual.  I have the color wire bound version and it makes the Airbus so easy and understandable.  Cpt. Mike is a great teacher.

1 hour ago, georgio1952 said:

Good news, but i'm not going to buy it, i'll stay with PMDG....

Thank you for this utterly worthless piece of contribution.

• Upvote 7

How is the aircraft in the real sim compared to the screenshots on their site??? The screenshots it just looks like another plastic toy aircraft to me..

Please don't take my comment in a negative way.. I just wanna make sure before I pay $140 that I know what I am getting

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'd like to see what Nyxx would say about the release, as he's avid Bus lover and experience simmer. His conclusion would be much appreciated

3 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

I highly recommend Mike Ray's Airbus manual.  I have the color wire bound version and it makes the Airbus so easy and understandable.  Cpt. Mike is a great teacher.

The colour wire-bound version is the one I have also. It's cheerful and entertaining rather than utmost professional. But that's OK I'm on my day off.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I have the wire-bound one: ISBN 978-0-936283-19-7 The Unofficial Airbus A320 Series Simulator and Checkride Procedures Manual. Recommended.

What's the difference between this one($59) and the $99 one on Amazon?

1 hour ago, G-YMML1 said:

Personally, I'd like to see what Nyxx would say about the release, as he's avid Bus lover and experience simmer. His conclusion would be much appreciated

Thank you.

I will start by saying I’ve only had version 4 since 4.1 came out. Also I’ve had a week of work just for this release. 

Until today I’ve flown nothing put the PMDG NG. V4 has come with a big boost to fps with that aircraft and I’ve never know the sim look and run so well. It’s blown me away.

Today I’ve done nothing but fly the FSL A320. 

My first thoughts.

It’s still the best Airliner we can buy and I don’t meen because it comes with loads of failures. If anyone thinks it's about that you totally missing the point.

The Good.

The new 64 bit sounds are fantastic.

The MCDU is updated and is much better for it, go for the s7 not the s4 option you get more FIX pagers.

Flight guidance, speed restrictions all that is really good.

The lights with DL are the best I’ve seen.

The Not So Good.

The new VC is much better but it does not blow me away, like the TDFi 717 does.

This aircraft does come with a FPS increase but nothing like the NG. It’s hard on Fps it’s nothing like as forgiving as the NG.

I still get perfect texture loading but Fps on my 4790k at 4.6 with 1070 I would say sits at around at approach’s and big airports, 22-24. It’s not as smooth as the NG. It is as it's always been hard on a system. Airports today, Aerosoft EGLL EDDF, FSDT LSGG Aerosoft 5.8gb LEBL. So thats about as hard as it gets. 

So to conclude my first thoughts.

All the updates it’s had are superb.

But be warned it's still hard on you PC System. So if you have trouble running the NG you will have a hard time running the FSL A320. 

I hope that’s a fair sum up?

Next flight tonight LEBL to LSGG at dusk with DL ON. :happy:

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, klamal said:

What's the difference between this one($59) and the $99 one on Amazon?

On amazon uk - 978-0-936283-19-7 looks like the one I have, but there are other versions without the wire binding I think. Mine also has ISBN 0-936283-19-x with $89.95 on the back.

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

But be warned it's still hard on you PC System. So if you have trouble running the NG you will have a hard time running the FSL A320

And a lot harder than the other PMDG planes I've compared it to as well - 747 and 777. I don't have the tFDI yet to compare that. I note the low frame rates occur despite minimal load on the GPU and CPU on my system.

FSL have confirmed the VR crash, so don't plan on simple VR flying if that's your thing (as I noted, you can swap in from another aircraft already in VR mode, just don't toggle back into normal mode again). They're talking to LM, hopefully a solution can be sorted out.

Edit: just done some testing with FlyInside, rather than native VR. It works, without the crash. The main issue is still performance. 

Edited by OzWhitey
update on VR

I did not experience the VR crash, but I find that the FSL A320 is extremely hard to use in VR. Not so much because of the performance, but those fonts are reaaaaally small! Very hard to read.

The new VC is much better but it does not blow me away, like the TFDi 717 does

The TFDi Design 717 may have a nice VC (although some of the textures are not quite as high a resolution as I would like), but I am not all that impressed with the flight dynamics. I am still waiting to see where that little avenue of opinion takes me....

Sorry for the off topic post.

2 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

How is the aircraft in the real sim compared to the screenshots on their site??? The screenshots it just looks like another plastic toy aircraft to me..

Please don't take my comment in a negative way.. I just wanna make sure before I pay $140 that I know what I am getting

I think the screenshots on the site do the aircraft justice.

I do think that you should not buy the FSLabs because of the quality of the VC. It is not the distinctive feature of the FSLabs. Both the Aerosoft and the FSLabs have a nice VC. Personally I like the FSLabs VC more, but I think some people could say the same thing about the Aerosoft VC.