Sign in to follow this  
johnbla

Newbie questions

Hi guys

Am considering buying FSW but have a couple of questions:

1. I notice at the Dovetail store it is on special for $8.69, however it is $24.99 on Steam. Is there a catch?

2. Does FSW have an inbuilt map so you can navigate where you are going (I know there is a payware one)

3. I have FS and P3D. At $8.69, is it worth it. I am most interested in the scenery eye candy.

4. If I buy from the Dovetail store, will I get the updates?

Many thanks

John

You can't beat it for $8.69. It is proving to be a very good general aviation sim even though it is still in development.  As far as updates, I would assume that when you purchase and register with DTG, you will be notified of any sales or updates.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

1.  No catch as far as I know.  I bought it off Steam when it first came out so I'm not familiar with the Dovetail store but as Dovetail are the developers I can't see them ripping you off!

2.  There's a map that you use to create flights from but it's not readily accessible in flight as is the one in FSX for instance.  That said I think a more useful one will be incorporated at some point.  Have a look in here for posts from DTG where they outline what they aim to add.

3.  Personal choice really, it's a 64bit sim with plenty of potential and some consider the eye candy to be better than FSX already.

4.  As it's supplied via Steam you'll get any updates automatically via Steam whenever you go online with Steam.

55 minutes ago, torium said:

2. FSW - Flight Planning Tutorial

Thanks for the video, it has helped getting me started with FSW.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

14 hours ago, johnbla said:

Hi guys

Am considering buying FSW but have a couple of questions:

1. I notice at the Dovetail store it is on special for $8.69, however it is $24.99 on Steam. Is there a catch?

2. Does FSW have an inbuilt map so you can navigate where you are going (I know there is a payware one)

3. I have FS and P3D. At $8.69, is it worth it. I am most interested in the scenery eye candy.

4. If I buy from the Dovetail store, will I get the updates?

Many thanks

John

1. No catch. Steam's games were on sale until 4th january, DTG just extended the sales on their own store. If you buy on DTG's store, you will activate the key on Steam anyways. Pay less and get the same.

2. It has a map for the flight planning (a very nice one, but still not fully featured). During the flight, there's no map available, unless you buy a 3rd party add-on. It was said by Stephen Hood that they want to implement every core feature on the base sim, although it's not clear yet which would be considered a core feature (A moving map!?).

3. Totally worth on my opinion. Just buy it and keep your eyes on the development. I bet you won't replace your FSX/P3D with add-ons for FSW at this stage, but I think you will like it. It's like FSW is something that is promising a lot, but not there yet. The developers really seem to be very talented, they just need some time to get everything together. 

4. Buying at DTG's store you will receive a key to activate on Steam. Don't worry, it's just the same as buying on Steam. You can take this information from their FAQ:

Do I get a CD or a DVD for my game?

No, there is no need for it. You will simply get an activation key to be used in the Steam™ application. By entering this key in the Steam™ application, the download, the installation, the update and the activation of your game will be done automatically.

https://store.dovetailgames.com/eu/docs/faq

• Upvote 2

I have joined FSW too, today. The pricing policy is very neat. I hope that FSW will thrive.

• Upvote 3

Best regards,

Christian Kelter