Shomron

Captainsim 757 thoughts?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Anyone can share experience with the new Captainsim 757?

I've found in the forum some older threads which were partially criticizing the product due to current bugs but since then I've seen fixes have been released so wanted to understand the current level of the product.

What I mainly would like is to know - 

*Is it study level?

*Is it worth the $?

*How would you compare it to other payware -  system level and dynamics wise?

*Is the product being improved as expected? (seems like the older 757 release remained buggy from reviews I have found...)

I'm really on the fence with this one mainly because I know there is a level D 757 in works (and which is in beta at least since June 2017)

 

Appreciate any feedback!

Shom

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, mdreyer said:

I'm in the same boat as you Shom. Thanks for posting.

+1

And if i may: it will work in P3D v4.1?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

I have owned the CS 757 and QW757 in FSX and I did plunk down the money for the P3D v4 version.  I think it is a better aircraft to fly than the QW version and does have continuing support.

I do not know what you interpret as study level, but it does fly quite well in P3D v4.  I do not think it models system failures though, but the flight model seems accurate.  I do have to make some adjustments to the FMC when I import a flight plan in from P3D.

Is it worth it is something you will have to ask yourself.  I do enjoy flying it.

The CS team have been addressing customer issues as they bring them up ( they have a very responsive forum you can browse).  It does seem to consume more fuel than the PFPX profile models, so I usually add 20% to the PFPX fuel calculation.

It did work for me in v4.1 and now in 4.2.

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl

Edited by BuddyDog
typo

Share this post


Link to post

But just FYI, QW is updating their 757 now and supposedly it will release after the 787 for v4.   Also Level D, during the fall of last year unveiled their 757 for v4 which is supposedly in Beta but haven't heard anything since.   

I was going to wait to decide between the 3 but these two above may take too long.   Idk. 

Edited by jason99vmi

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BuddyDog said:

I have owned the CS 757 and QW757 in FSX and I did plunk down the money for the P3D v4 version.  I think it is a better aircraft to fly than the QW version and does have continuing support.

I do not know what you interpret as study level, but it does fly quite well in P3D v4.  I do not think it models system failures though, but the flight model seems accurate.  I do have to make some adjustments to the FMC when I import a flight plan in from P3D.

Is it worth it is something you will have to ask yourself.  I do enjoy flying it.

The CS team have been addressing customer issues as they bring them up ( they have a very responsive forum you can browse).  It does seem to consume more fuel than the PFPX profile models, so I usually add 20% to the PFPX fuel calculation.

It did work for me in v4.1 and now in 4.2.

https://www.captainsim.org/forum/csf.pl

Thanks for the info! By study level I refer to the need to perform the exact steps to perform certain flows (cold and dark to start up for example), 757 flight dynamics, FMC functionality and so on.

I am less into failures so this point I don't consider much.

 

Shom

Share this post


Link to post

Also curious about the CS757 for p3d4 but hesitant due to the reported bugs and other aspects.  Keep in mind the QW757 is going to be a straight port of the existing FSX version, no new features.  

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SAX702 said:

Also curious about the CS757 for p3d4 but hesitant due to the reported bugs and other aspects.  Keep in mind the QW757 is going to be a straight port of the existing FSX version, no new features.  

QW is a no go for me due to the fact it seems very "light" in terms of system depth

Share this post


Link to post

Yes Shom I believe you'll like what you'll get.
Systems are well reproduced (although not as complete and accurate as PMDG's liners), FMC is OK for regular use and there is a lot to learn in order to perform a correct cockpit preparation.
Their 757 Flight dynamics is probably one of the best on the market surprisingly, even better than PMDG's 777, for my liking.
Textures are great and so are sounds.

I don't fly her enough to say the product is today 100% bug free but my last flights were very pleasant and without surprises.
I honestly feel more comfortable and quiet flying PMDG birds though, which are rock solid in all circumstances.

I don't know when QW will release their new version and with all the respect due to Level-D folks, we didn't hear from them for almost a decade unfortunately so I will believe it when I'll see it.

Just my 2 cts ;-)

 

Edited by David Roch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Yes Shom I believe you'll like what you'll get.
Systems are well reproduced (although not as complete and accurate as PMDG's liners), FMC is OK for regular use and there is a lot to learn in order to perform a correct cockpit preparation.
Their 757 Flight dynamics is probably one of the best on the market surprisingly, even better than PMDG's 777, for my liking.
Textures are great and so are sounds.

I don't fly her enough to say the product is today 100% bug free but my last flights were very pleasant and without surprises.
I honestly feel more comfortable and quiet flying PMDG birds though, which are rock solid in all circumstances.

I don't know when QW will release their new version and with all the respect due to Level-D folks, we didn't hear from them for almost a decade unfortunately so I will believe it when I'll see it.

Just my 2 cts ;-)

 

I am also guessing Level D price will be on a different level considering the fact their FSX version for the 767 is being sold for over 50$.

Share this post


Link to post

Let me preface this reply with the fact that I usually restrict my flying to “high end” addons such as PMDG, FSL, and more recently the Maddog X. I recently picked up the CS 757 as I had finally gained enough hours in my VA to “unlock” the 757. I had pretty high expectations from the videos and articles on the aircraft and I have to say I was less than impressed. 

As mentioned above the aircraft does handle pretty well, and the modeling looks great. As long as you don’t zoom in too close. However, there are a few big issues that I cannot look past and ultimately wind up leaving the 757 in the hangar and going back to another aircraft. Firstly, there are no panel states nor is there a Cold and Dark option. Also, the FMC is not very good at providing a VNAV profile that is anywhere near accurate. You mostly wind up having to use VS mode to control your descent. If you can look past these issues it is a decent product. But in my opinion, these are items have pretty much become the standard for products in this price range. Until CS gets these basic items sorted out I can’t recommend the product to anyone. YMMV, but I would hold off this one. That’s my two cents worth. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, N405GJ said:

Let me preface this reply with the fact that I usually restrict my flying to “high end” addons such as PMDG, FSL, and more recently the Maddog X. I recently picked up the CS 757 as I had finally gained enough hours in my VA to “unlock” the 757. I had pretty high expectations from the videos and articles on the aircraft and I have to say I was less than impressed. 

As mentioned above the aircraft does handle pretty well, and the modeling looks great. As long as you don’t zoom in too close. However, there are a few big issues that I cannot look past and ultimately wind up leaving the 757 in the hangar and going back to another aircraft. Firstly, there are no panel states nor is there a Cold and Dark option. Also, the FMC is not very good at providing a VNAV profile that is anywhere near accurate. You mostly wind up having to use VS mode to control your descent. If you can look past these issues it is a decent product. But in my opinion, these are items have pretty much become the standard for products in this price range. Until CS gets these basic items sorted out I can’t recommend the product to anyone. YMMV, but I would hold off this one. That’s my two cents worth. 

I got the TFDI 717 when it was still flawed and it significantly improved to a point I am satisfied with it today.

Question is are CS listening to feedback and improving the issues as well

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for this thread. I was Think the same and I’ll hold off on purchasing. For that amount of money, vnav should work correctly 

Share this post


Link to post

Imo you should wait until 1.1. I tried it and the autopilot put me into a steep dive during descent every time. The LEGS page on the CDU isn't working well either, it ignores any speed restrictions and climb speeds I put into the VNAV page and, for some reason, the F/D doesn't seem to know accel height. What's annoying too is that on every takeoff I did the airplane was completely out of trim even though I set it to the exact value calculated by the FMC for takeoff. Other than that it's a great aircraft that just needs some more work.

Share this post


Link to post

I too have the airplane.  I like the airplane.  Sure, it's not PMDG stuff but it's still good.  As others have said, it hand flies well and appears to be stable (no CTD).

That said, there is still room for improvement and hope for fixes (VNAV) and more features (like GPWS) to be added with the next update...which we have been waiting for for sometime. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I too have the airplane.  I like the airplane.  Sure, it's not PMDG stuff but it's still good.  As others have said, it hand flies well and appears to be stable (no CTD).

That said, there is still room for improvement and hope for fixes (VNAV) and more features (like GPWS) to be added with the next update...which we have been waiting for for sometime. 

Thanks for the replies - any comments on system depth and flight dynamics would be helpful! In the FSelite review the flight dynamics were raised as a con, has there been any improvement in that area since the release? From reading the HFs release notes I saw nothing related to this area.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Sure, it's not PMDG stuff but it's still good.

This is what puts me off. Not necessarily the fact that it's not up to PMDG standard, but the fact that it's in the same price range as the PMDG 737 and at a lower standard.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, nealmac said:

This is what puts me off. Not necessarily the fact that it's not up to PMDG standard, but the fact that it's in the same price range as the PMDG 737 and at a lower standard.

You know that's a very good point; I've never thought of it that way.  I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that Captainsim follows through and keeps furthering this product.  

So with the thoughts above, I would just waiting to purchase.

Share this post


Link to post

I have the CS 757 and 767 for fsx and IMHO they are universally bad...particularly with the poor FMC  modelling and horrible vnav.

So these are long term issues, my experience is that CS does NOT  listen.

Edited by Boomer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Boomer said:

my experience is that CS does NOT  listen.

I believe they have turned a new leaf. Have a look at the new version 757 forum. Many bugs and new things are fixed and or brought on by user requests.  This is something far different than before where it was by in large ignored. 

 

Think this is a pretty great plane. Its alot of fun to fly 757/67 as its more like a hybrid from being the full on automatic everything of todays aircraft and the former ones where you had to do everything.  I have dont alot of flights and for the most part not alot of problems. Certainly not show stoppers.  VNAV not partiularly reliable so keep an eye on it. Ive said it before, and say it again. Do as real pilots do. If VNAV or the aircraft is not behaving the way it should on a specific mode, then intervene. Your the captain.  So im using alot of V/S and FLTCH.  Easy to manage when you have the banana arc and alot more fun and interactive. The FMC is mostly ok. Just missing some advanced features, but I see 1.1 SP will bring more functionality. 

Couple extra things.... Watch the trim from the FMC. Its not quite right. Find a standard trim chart as per your GW. 

Fuel.... Uses about 10-15% extra fuel than simbrief profiles. So just take on a little extra fuel. This was something that was about 30% before, but was adjusted. Now it just needs a little more shave but by now means unusuable. 

Relative to the ol QW57 and the former CS57 this is a huge improvement , and the systems depth relative to those ones are much greater. Most of your flows will be applicable. I dont regret the purchase. Close to PMDG price at a lower standard as some mentioned?  Ah no. Its for P3D v4. Have you seen PMDG v4 prices????

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now