Rayhan Maulana Ahmada

Which is better? V4 or V3

im currently playing fsx SE. and it runs well to about 25-35 fps. Now i feel like i just want to move from FSX to P3D. now the thing is my laptop is  from 2015. and so i was thinking which to choose, the v4 or the v3. short answer is recommended

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have a 4 year old desktop, and V3.4 runs well on my rig with medium to higher settings , giving me FPS around 30-35 average. My rig, according to LM recommendations, is not sufficient to properly run V4, and since I have never had an OOM, and my sim never crashes, I am going to stay with V3.4 until my PC dies altogether. I would think that a 3 year old laptop would struggle to run V4. 

Go v3 , more stable.

27 minutes ago, hmuller said:

Go v3 , more stable.

Care to elaborate?

I have found V4 pretty stable. I don't crash anymore when memory runs out. So I am not sure more stable is an accurate term. From what I have read here, V4 seems to be pretty solid for others as well. I still think V4 would be the solution. From my experiences, the newer release is often more solid after they had time to iron out the newer release kinks, V4 has been out for around a year now. You just should not run the sliders all the way up. Also, should you go out and win the lottery and have some free dollars, you can upgrade your rig too and already have the newer license. You need to check your hardware specification and match them to what LM recommends. 

4. All day. No comparison.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Why would you not go with the latest version??  V4 is perfectly stable for me and being 64 bit means no VAS worries.  It is much better than V3 IMO....

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Why would you not go with the latest version??  V4 is perfectly stable for me and being 64 bit means no VAS worries.  It is much better than V3 IMO....

Because as the OP stated, he has a 3 year old Laptop. LM recommends for V4, a Quad core 3.5 GB per core, 16 gigs of ram, and a GPU with 8GB. Don't think you are going to find that in a 3 year old laptop very often. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 2

the only issue I have with V4 is blurred textures if you run with unlimited Frames. I think this is because FFTF is ignored by the program when running unlimited frames. I'll hazard a guess that V3 is the same in this regard but when I tuned my system to maintain 30fps at Unlimited frames in V3 I did not have a problem with blurries!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Care to elaborate?

Yes !  I (and other users) had a CTD,Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll with FSLabs A320,so far no solution to the problem from FSlabs. Guess what?

Only with P3Dv4... 

With P3Dv3 no problems (with the same situation,scenery,weather,etc).

Edited by hmuller

v4 no doubt ..adjust the sliders as you want...

12 minutes ago, hmuller said:

Yes !  I (and other users) had a CTD,Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll with FSLabs A320,so far no solution to the problem from FSlabs. Guess what?

Only with P3Dv4... 

With P3Dv3 no problems (with the same situation,scenery,weather,etc).

The 64-bit P3Dv4 version of the FSLabs A320 is not the same program as the (32-bit) version that runs on P3Dv3.  So blaming P3Dv4 because one add-on had problems running with it on your system, while a different version of the add-on runs OK on a different version of P3D (and a whole bunch of different libraries etc) doesn't really lead to any conclusion that points to P3Dv4.  It's like saying that a Ford Mustang is bad because it ran poorly with gas from a 7-11, while an older Ford Taurus ran just fine with gas from Circle-K.  One implies nothing about the other.

For the OP--v4 has absolutely been the most stable version of P3D for me.

Regards

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rayhan Maulana Ahmada said:

im currently playing fsx SE. and it runs well to about 25-35 fps. Now i feel like i just want to move from FSX to P3D. now the thing is my laptop is  from 2015. and so i was thinking which to choose, the v4 or the v3. short answer is recommended

I'd recommend you remain with FSX:SE, until you acquire the hardware to run P3D V4.  If you're looking for an upgrade, acquire DX10 fixer, which will close the gap between FSX SE and P3D V3.  You're not going to get a significant return on your investment by upgrading to V3; after all, this is obsolete software.  As you recall, a lot of developers have moved exclusively to V4.  So, what advantages are you really gaining?  In essence, you're changing one abandon software for another.  In short, if you don't feel like your laptop can handle V4, stick with what you have.  Instead of spending money on V3 software, save it to procure more cable hardware.  It doesn't sound like your current setup has the capacity to take advantage of V4 features...   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Although not being a P3D user that much ( seldom use it, and mostly for FSLabs A320 ), it is by far the most stable and performant of all version of P3D I have used, since the first released ( still 32 bit ).

I got with it the best frames, and the less stutters I had got before with other versions.

I believe (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that Lockheed Martin has a 60 day refund policy on their products.

If so, and you're really interested, then maybe try P3Dv4 for a bit (not over 60 days) to see if you can get it to work at least reasonably well on your laptop, and if not, then request a refund.

I don't think there's  enough improvement between FSX-SE and P3Dv3 to justify the cost of changing to P3Dv3 at the present time..

In my own opinion, P3Dv4 is the way to go for the forseeable future.

- Bob  

Assuming one has the capable hardware...

v4 will have the better visuals - Lockheed improved the atmosphere and ambience of the sim in v4 with their lighting and volumetric fog improvements. There's also the 64-bit nature of v4 which helps anyone with memory pressures and the willingness to (re-)invest in 64-bit addons.

v3 has a much higher degree of addon compatibility. Being the last 32-bit version, it will still run a good chunk of addons which theoretically are FSX-only, plus others that are P3D ready but haven't yet been bumped up to v4.

If you're going into Prepar3D with the hopes of using as much of your existing FSX library as possible, v3 may be your best bet.

If you're OK with losing some of your library but gaining a nice visual bump, v4 is your answer.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I have just migrated from FSX SE (DX10) to P3D V4 and am extremely happy I have done so. The idea was to build a new system but this would set me back $4000 to $5000 Canadian dollars  for the system I want which I don’t want to do just yet.

System is from 2012 (except for GPU)

i7 2700k @ 4.8ghz ,water cooled

MSI 1070ti

ASUS P8z77 pro thunderbolt Mobo

corsair 800w PSU

blah blah blah

My settings are Medium/High or the same as FSX SE but with some of the “goodies” turned off or low, P3D V4 runs better, looks better, feels better and is way way way smoother with all of my V4 compatible addons installed, ie: All ORBX, Carenado, Alabeo, Q-400, ASV4, REX and many others. PMDG and A2A will be re purchased later on.

Bottom line, if you get P3D V4 I’m sure you will be extremely happy, if not, you have 60 days to return 

Hope this helps,

Edited by ziggy

Posted (edited)

Rayhan, go v3 ! 

Hundreds of add-ons fully ready and fully compatible with your v3, that "much better" talk is placebo, check youtube videos,depending on your machine the difference is almost imperceptible.

By the way,check those crashes with the "stable" P3Dv4 from another users (source Google, today) link below:

"ucrtbase.dll/ntdll.dll crash every time I try and start up P3D v4 ...
https://www.avsim.com › ... › Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum

P3D v4.2 CTD (kernelbase.dll & ucrtbase.dll 

CTD Immediately Upon Loading Flight w/ P3D v4 - General discussion ...
forum.aerosoft.com › ... › General discussion and support

CRJ 700/900 X crashes my P3D V4

P3D V4 crashes when loading

P3DV4 Crash - FSDreamTeam
www.fsdreamteam.com › ... › Charlotte KCLT Support FSX/P3D

CTD P3Dv4 when loading PMDG on Scenario  "

Just google it yourself and check what I said.

Edited by hmuller

4, unless there are some v3 only addons you can't live without.

I have v4 running on a 3 year old asus rog notebook fully loaded with addons,   runs well but you always have to compromise for acceptable performance,  even with a brand new rig not just notebooks

Wayne

7 hours ago, hmuller said:

Hundreds of add-ons fully ready and fully compatible with your v3, that "much better" talk is placebo, check youtube videos,depending on your machine the difference is almost imperceptible.

Well, the OOM is a thing of the past for me on P3D v4.  Way too many flights using complex add-on aircraft with complex sceneries ended on approach with the dreaded OOM in V3.  If that's placebo effect, give me the placebo, please.

Most of the scenery add-ons that worked in V3 also work without modification in V4, and even more still have been updated to take advantage of new P3Dv4 features, such as new ground polys, materials, dynamic lighting etc.  A bunch of the updated sceneries have really upped the game in terms of frame rate performance in V4.

There's some good advice upthread to take advantage of LM's 60-day money-back offer (or go month-to-month with the developer's license) while you try each version out.  That way you can decide for yourself what, if any, compatibility issues really exist on your system, and what's really an improvement.

Also keep in mind that a good number of the best add-on scenery makers (FlyTampa, FSDreamTeam, FlightBeam, 29 Palms et al) have already declared that they are no longer developing new products for the 32-bit platforms (P3D v3 and below, FSX/FSX-SE).

Cheers

I would certainly recommend anyone new to P3D to go for v4. I have not upgraded yet, but addon developers will be concentrating on the 64bit version for all future product releases, so it would seem to be a bit silly to go for v3 now when it is effectively a "dead end". The reason that I am still using v3 is mainly because I have a full suite of AI addons that are working, and also because at least one major airport package (Aerosoft Dublin) is not yet compatible with v4. I also want to be able to run v4 at very high detail levels when I decide to upgrade, and that will inevitably mean buying a new PC (my current i5 4690k powered system is four years old).

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, w6kd said:

If that's placebo effect, give me the placebo, please.

Ok Bob,so that´s with your system:  i7-7700K@5.0GHz w/c with custom loop, ASUS TUF Z270 Mk 1 mobo, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, 2x 1080Ti eVGA FTW3 Elite GPUs in SLI,etc. If it were you asking (with the configuration of your PC) I would certainly say P3Dv4.

But, did you even read his question?... The Rayhan states:

" I´m currently playing fsx SE. and it runs well to about 25-35 fps. Now the thing is my laptop is  from 2015. and so i was thinking which to choose, the v4 or the v3? "

So, you, with your system (described above) says "take advantage of new P3Dv4 features, such as new ground polys, materials, dynamic lighting etc."

You must be kidding,but seriously Bob, what percentage of P3D users around the world (that "would take advantage of new P3Dv4 features") do you think have a PC configuration like yours?

Regards,

Edited by hmuller

If you use the default ATC you may find that it doesn't work with 4.2; at least I can't get it to work.

My system (i7-4770 @ 3.90 GHz, ZOTAC GeForce 750 Ti 2GB video card with 8GB RAM MB) definitely likes v3 better than v4; so if your computer is clocked lower than that I would say that your v4 experience will be disappointing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hmuller said:

Ok Bob,so that´s with your system:  i7-7700K@5.0GHz w/c with custom loop, ASUS TUF Z270 Mk 1 mobo, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, 2x 1080Ti eVGA FTW3 Elite GPUs in SLI,etc. If it were you asking (with the configuration of your PC) I would certainly say P3Dv4.

But, did you even read his question?... The Rayhan states:

" I´m currently playing fsx SE. and it runs well to about 25-35 fps. Now the thing is my laptop is  from 2015. and so i was thinking which to choose, the v4 or the v3? "

So, you, with your system (described above) says "take advantage of new P3Dv4 features, such as new ground polys, materials, dynamic lighting etc."

You must be kidding,but seriously Bob, what percentage of P3D users around the world (that "would take advantage of new P3Dv4 features") do you think have a PC configuration like yours?

A powerful system can take advantage of more of v4's features, run smoothly with more AI, more cloud layers, more autogen, and higher resolutions at higher frame rates etc, but that does not mean a powerful system is required to run V4 (and run it well) with perfectly acceptable performance through judicious management of the sliders and add-on workload.  64-bit operating systems and hardware have been the standard for at least 5 years now, so a 2015-vintage laptop should still be able to run it and take great advantage of losing the 32-bit VAS constraint.

I have tried to run the FSLabs A320 in P3D v3, and that VAS-hungry add-on was an absolute nightmare due to OOM crashes, on my current machine as well as on my previous sim machine (also dating from 2015).

IMHO, P3Dv3 isn't going to be much of a leap from the OP's current FSX-SE config, as it's plagued by the same 32-bit VAS limitations. 

Regards