Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Cost of flightsimming - per day of use - over 4 years.

I know we all spend more money than we intend to on our flightsims and I've often wondered what it cost me on average per fligthsim session based on everything I've spent over the last 4 years.

So I calculated it and then worked out an average monthly cost based on that  - and ultimately a cost per sim session. 

Avg monthly software budget (addons) - £50...£2400  (per 4 years) 

New PC once per 4 years ................................£2200

P3D version cost per 4 years ............................£400

Hardware peripherals per 4 years..................... £1000

TOTAL COST per 4 years...................................£6000

COST PER YEAR ...............................................£1500

COST PER MONTH............................................£125

(I only get to fly on weekends and out of approx 8 weekend days per month, I probably fly for 5 of those 8 days

COST PER SIM SESSION....................................£25  (Anywhere between 1-10 hours per session)

Much cheaper than a night out anywhere  and certainly cheaper than golf (which I don't play)

• Like 6

I spend far less on addons and peripherals than you do 😁 and my system is now 5 years old. I'll show your post to my wife and see if she lets me buy a new system and spend more on addons (I was going to put the black eye emoticon here but its gone! what's the world coming to?)

Its also worth remembering that that high performance computer is used for a lot of other thing too so its an even better deal than you indicate.

I agree.

To me the fun and satisfaction of completing a long haul flight with a study Aircraft such PMDG or FSLabs with all the preparations and planning is better than a round of golf or going to a movie

Bill

• Like 2

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

COST PER SIM SESSION....................................£25  (Anywhere between 1-10 hours)

Interesting, but I don't think I pay anything like that. I had my last PC for 8 years, and I fly more often than 5 times a month, but I don't think I could put a cost per hour on my usage because I go off and do something else for a couple of months at a time too.

My drumming lessons cost €25 per session, though. :biggrin:

• Like 2

Very Interesting that approach, my daily cost is superior for sure, i prefer not to do that kind of calculation 😎

• Like 2

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I have forgotten about a mid-life graphics card upgrade and one other hardware peripheral. -

Still under £30 a day session of use.  

• Like 1

Interesting.  I've always justified the costs as compared to going to a bar or something instead (I have a lot of bars/restaurants near me).  Spending $50-100 going out is no problem, especially if my girl is with me, so simming instead of going out actually seems fiscally responsible even considering the thousands I've already invested.  

Plus, "my hobby is flight sim" is far more rewarding and interesting than "I go to bars a lot" (I've certainly done both).  I really do feel that there are plenty of times that I would have gone and grabbed a few drinks if I didn't stay home and fly.  That's $50 a pop I save (adds up over the years)

• Like 2

The other thing to consider especially if you’re 65+ is the amount of mental processing required to handle a complex aircraft as well as keeping a PC problem-free. Substantially more than a round of golf! :wink:

For the best of both worlds go for a brisk 30 min walk with a/p engaged. 😀👍

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Shutter the thought! 

I don't dare look! It would blow my self image as a prudent disciplined person...

Kind regards with a tinge of conscience and regret for opening and reading this thread,

Stephen 😇

• Like 1

I spend way less than that. Cheapest activity I have ever done. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I spend way less than that. Cheapest activity I have ever done. 

Then you’re doing it wrong Bob 🙂

Love your reputation count number 

• Like 1

Gee, Erich,

You are about to jump to 1,000 reputation points!

Can I help?

Kind regards,

Stephen

1 minute ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Gee, Erich,

You are about to jump to 1,000 reputation points!

Can I help?

Kind regards,

Stephen

That’s not what I meant! I don’t give a monkey’s but Bob is a 747.  

• Like 1

In French we said "quand on aime on ne compte pas". (when you love you don't count the cost).

Each month, I have a budget of 😔😔😔€ for the sim, so last year, I spend 1350€, (=150€ more than expected !)

Mine wife like the Arts, she make each year (minimum) one travel to visit Museums and herself realise creations. Her cost is around 5x mine... 

5 days per week, I'm simming or thinking around our hobby between 3-5 hours/day... So I found that mine passion is a low cost hobby...

Compared to mine best friend, his passion is the photography, or acquisition of books by great readers... Sim is less costly.

Sure runners have less cost and it is better for the health 😄

• Like 3