Christopher Low

FSPXAI Boeing 787 wingspan

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have just noticed that the wingspan of the FSPXAI Boeing 787-8 and 787-9 is defined as 155.4 feet in the aircraft.cfg file. It should be 197.2 feet. I checked because I noted that a TUI 787-8 was parked at a gate at EGNT Newcastle that has a radius of only 24 metres (the minimum should be 31 metres for a 787). You may want to check this if you have these AI planes installed.

Edited by Christopher Low

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

 I fixed that the day it came out. You sure wouldn't want to look at Traffic Global's models then, they are WAY WAY off on nearly all of them,

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

 I fixed that the day it came out. You sure wouldn't want to look at Traffic Global's models then, they are WAY WAY off on nearly all of them,

Looks like TG needs people like you Dave 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Har Har... lol 

  It's just a good habit to check and correct the wing_span for every new AI aircraft you add to the collection.

Edited by Dave_YVR

Share this post


Link to post

That mistake has been there for awhile and it probably  was caused by the author editing the FSPX MD11 aircraft.cfg to make the new 787 version of the file.

Share this post


Link to post

This would be explain a lot 🙂 thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I cannot really understand how those mistakes can happen ... neither freeware nor payware. It is not a small detail, and every ai a/c developer should know that the wingspan together with atc_parking code and atc_airline defines which parking/gate the a/c will be assigned to, Even I know this.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Nemo said:

I cannot really understand how those mistakes can happen ... neither freeware nor payware. It is not a small detail, and every ai a/c developer should know that the wingspan together with atc_parking code and atc_airline defines which parking/gate the a/c will be assigned to, Even I know this.

You will understand when you start building AI Models and get a close encounter of how difficult it is to tweak the FDE, 3DMax and Aircraft.cfg files to make the airplane behave as it suppose too :).

Things happen.. that is why beta tests are important, now how are we going to get @Dave_YVR into TG beta team is the question..

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah lol that's just not going to happen. I do own TG, but I only bought it to test and try it out. I can't see it ever being nearly as good as my freeware setup, I really don't like the look of the majority of the models or repaints compared to what I already have and the flightplans aren't optimized in the slightest. It would be like jumping a few years into the past to go with any of the payware projects vs what I've got with freeware. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

You see? I knew it would be a hard job.. 

But just think for a moment of the posible changes and positive changes you can induce to the product, you have the opportunity to make a change.. I will be at Cosford this weekend and I will meet with Justflight, just saying :wink:

Regards,
Simbol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, simbol said:

You will understand when you start building AI Models and get a close encounter of how difficult it is to tweak the FDE, 3DMax and Aircraft.cfg files

This may be true.  However, the detail is important, especially as wingspan parameters have knock-on effects on the behaviour of AI traffic - which is the aspect of flightsim you're trying to improve as a builder of AI aircraft

Slapdashery

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, ErichB said:

This may be true.  However, the detail is important, especially as wingspan parameters have knock-on effects on the behaviour of AI traffic - which is the aspect of flightsim you're trying to improve as a builder of AI aircraft

Slapdashery

Well you know very well now that I am an advocate of level of details, but seriously.. doing FDE and Aircraft.cfg files from scratch is so SLOWWWWWWW and Complicated that it would be faster to build a real aircraft instead.

So I understand how the copy and paste got in the way here.. just saying.. there are always 2 sides of a history.. the fault was the lack of testing, but we have people like @Dave_YVR for that lol.

Regards,
S.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I recall vaguely i've read in the AIG forum that the wingspan value should NOT be the real world value because it may cause problems with not enough right parkings spots available at airports.

Not sure were exactly, already some months ago i read that.

Share this post


Link to post

PSXseeconTraffic does not care about wing_spans. All AI aircraft in your simulator (representing real live aircraft) are positioned at or go to the correct gate automatically 😉

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, kiek said:

PSXseeconTraffic does not care about wing_spans. All AI aircraft in your simulator (representing real live aircraft) are positioned at or go to the correct gate automatically 😉

Off topic - I have just recently started to use PSXseeconTraffic, and although still experimenting, it is great using the Parked feature which fills a huge gap when landing at airports on VATSIM alone  Good work there

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

I recall vaguely i've read in the AIG forum that the wingspan value should NOT be the real world value because it may cause problems with not enough right parkings spots available at airports.

Not sure were exactly, already some months ago i read that.

But isn't everything supposed to be uniformly scaled in the sim?  (apart from autogen)

Does that also not imply that the airports are not properly scaled?  

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I recall vaguely i've read in the AIG forum that the wingspan value should NOT be the real world value because it may cause problems with not enough right parkings spots available at airports

IMO, the best way to do it is for the AI plane builder to define the correct wingspan value in the aircraft.cfg file, and for AFD file builders to adjust their parking spot radius values to suit. If you try parking a large wingspan aircraft like a Boeing 787 in parking spots that are far too small for it, you are going to have problems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Does that also not imply that the airports are not properly scaled?  

You cannot control this as many vendors are developing airports, sometimes some developers create gates with wrong parking radius sizes or too small, not because they do mistakes but because they do not have the information available.

You can correct this via AFCAD modifications but as usual when you develop any product you need to think about these things as you cannot tell all users: "Go and edit the AFCAD file".. you have also the issue with default airports were they are not accurate in terms of Gates / Parking spaces, so if end users only have generic scenery some airplanes will never find a parking space.

It is all about finding a compromise.

S.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, simbol said:

You cannot control this as many vendors are developing airports, sometimes some developers create gates with wrong parking radius sizes or too small, not because they do mistakes but because they do not have the information available

I agree.  But the commentary which was quoted made a general assertion that the aircraft span needed to be less than real world values because it would cause problems at airports otherwise.  But I can't imagine that this would apply in all cases..  The AFCAD argument makes more sense and that has always been the limitation.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ErichB said:

I agree.  But the commentary which was quoted made a general assertion that the aircraft span needed to be less than real world values because it would cause problems at airports otherwise.  But I can't imagine that this would apply in all cases..  The AFCAD argument makes more sense and that has always been the limitation.

I see, the limitation is that the SDK instruct content developer to set the RADIUS parameter for the parking space or Gate for any scenery, this information is used in combination with parking codes wing spam parameter configured inside SimObjects in order to assign parking space, there is no auto scale or any automatic conversion inside the ESP code as it is all in the hands of 3rd party developers.

If this is not done properly then things start to go wrong, you can see why things go downhill.. :biggrin:

S.

Share this post


Link to post

all

let us remind ourselves (imho) that there is not one scenery developer who gives a "tupenny" about AI ... just think what we've seen recently with GSX !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

The AI aircraft community is upset about GSX2 but the solution for them is buy only 3rd party airports that already have SODE jetways at every gate by default. GSX will work for both the user's gate and AI aircraft will be handled without GSX eye candy by SODE.

I'm actually surprised that FSDT hasnt marketed their SODE jetway models as an additional add-on package so that users could upgrade stock airports. Like some other GSX objects, the GSX2 SODE jetways are copy-protected.

 

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, kiek said:

PSXseeconTraffic does not care about wing_spans. All AI aircraft in your simulator (representing real live aircraft) are positioned at or go to the correct gate automatically 😉

 So it uses a different method to sort and park aircraft by size.

7 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

I recall vaguely i've read in the AIG forum that the wingspan value should NOT be the real world value because it may cause problems with not enough right parkings spots available at airports.

 Not in the slightest, if you have well placed and sized parking to go with your traffic, it works VERY well. The proper sized aircraft park where they should and there's never any overlap.

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

 So it uses a different method to sort and park aircraft by size.

Indeed, a real live air traffic controller does that job ...

Share this post


Link to post

For airports that have ADS-b ground operations etc etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now