Jump to content

spilok

Just bought REX Skyforce....Question

Recommended Posts

After all the positive comments here on AVSIM about REX SkyForce, I decided to buy it today.  All of the skyshots and comments make this addon look like a wonderful addition to Active Sky for P3d and REX Textures.  Since I read that it didn't interfere with these programs, I kicked in my $31 dollars plus.

One question about its activation:  Do you have to minimize it or start it before running P3d, or is it totally active after you go into its set up screen and make your install choices?  I know that Active Sky is started before I run P3d and I minimize it to the taskbar.  Do you have to do the same with SkyForce, or is it automatic after setup?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Stan

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, spilok said:

After all the positive comments here on AVSIM about REX SkyForce, I decided to buy it today.  All of the skyshots and comments make this addon look like a wonderful addition to Active Sky for P3d and REX Textures.  Since I read that it didn't interfere with these programs, I kicked in my $31 dollars plus.

One question about its activation:  Do you have to minimize it or start it before running P3d, or is it totally active after you go into its set up screen and make your install choices?  I know that Active Sky is started before I run P3d and I minimize it to the taskbar.  Do you have to do the same with SkyForce, or is it automatic after setup?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Stan

You should start it every time you want new sky & cloud textures, and structures. If you want the dynamic feature, always start SF before P3D, just like AS.

If you like a particular set of clouds, structures, and sky textures, you don't have to start SF until you get tired of the textures or decide you want dynamic structures.

Don't forget to disable weather engine in SF.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, spilok said:

After all the positive comments here on AVSIM about REX SkyForce, I decided to buy it today.  All of the skyshots and comments make this addon look like a wonderful addition to Active Sky for P3d and REX Textures.  Since I read that it didn't interfere with these programs, I kicked in my $31 dollars plus.

One question about its activation:  Do you have to minimize it or start it before running P3d, or is it totally active after you go into its set up screen and make your install choices?  I know that Active Sky is started before I run P3d and I minimize it to the taskbar.  Do you have to do the same with SkyForce, or is it automatic after setup?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Stan

Best combo with that right now is  Environment Force. So only ones needed are SF, EF, and ActiveSky. I'm liking what I'm seeing now. Only ones to open are EF and AS. 

Edited by Lenny777

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Suggested procedure Stan:

  1. Start AS4
  2. Start Environment Force 
  3. Start P3D

However, before you get there on your first flight ONLY, make sure you unselect the following in EF:

  • Enable weather smoothing
  • Enable real time data read

Then go to Manual mode for the following:

  • Texture page: Select your desired 3D texture resolutions (enable DXTS optimisation) This is to ensure you get proper clouds textures, it took me some time to figure that in Automation mode as this is not part of the manual and I was getting awful clouds.
  • General page: Select enable Start up in system tray
  • Click "Change Mode" and select what you want Automation or Tweak

You're all set for your future flights.

Happy landings.

 

Edited by Jean-Claude

Share this post


Link to post

Jean-Claude, you don't have to untick this one: "Enable real time data read", just the first one 😉

Share this post


Link to post

need to  run it  first  and  leave it in the task bar

Share this post


Link to post

Guys.........

This is like Chinese whispers....

Stan the OP is asking about SF he has never mentioned owning EF. 🙂 

1 hour ago, David Roch said:

Jean-Claude, you don't have to untick this one: "Enable real time data read", just the first one 😉

That's True but with ASP4 REX say to turn it off as it's not needed. So its best to turn the top two options off.

On topic, Stan Do as DJJose says.

Share this post


Link to post

Guy! Can I use REX SkyForce and Environment Force with AS Cloud Art together or I need uninstall ASCA?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

I’m using asp4 with SF & EF. Personally I keep the weather smoothing box ticked, even though it says to untick with active sky. I find I get much smoother transitions with the weather this way. I tried both, and with it unticked, you get the famous active sky pop up effect. I don’t notice anything like that with weather smoothing ticked. 

 

Try it and see what you think! 

Share this post


Link to post

yep  I  agree   only  way  to  find  things  that  work  for  you is  to  test  them  for  yourself

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, JLuis said:

Guy! Can I use REX SkyForce and Environment Force with AS Cloud Art together or I need uninstall ASCA?

 

Thanks

this  is  quoted  from  one  of the  devs  in the  rex  forum 

Right now EF is optimized with Sky Force.  But I would not mix and match textures with Sky Force or you may get some oddities.

You  don't  need  to uninstall  asca   just  remane   the  exe   to  something  else   so it  wont  start   when  you  start  as

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

On topic, Stan Do as DJJose says.

Everyone is so excited to share their wisdom that they forgot to notice that this topic has zero to do with REX 5 EF. 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, JLuis said:

Guy! Can I use REX SkyForce and Environment Force with AS Cloud Art together or I need uninstall ASCA?

 

Thanks

ASCA is not needed if you are using SF/EV combo. Disable ASCA by adding .off to the EXE.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

You can still use ASCA for sky textures. I’m still using it to display ENVTEX sky textures, but that’s it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Since I installed the cloud textures and don't use the weather engine I never run SF for a flight.

Regards
bs

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, djbully said:

I’m using asp4 with SF & EF. Personally I keep the weather smoothing box ticked, even though it says to untick with active sky. I find I get much smoother transitions with the weather this way. I tried both, and with it unticked, you get the famous active sky pop up effect. I don’t notice anything like that with weather smoothing ticked. 

 

Try it and see what you think! 

I will try it thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Thanks, guys.   Yes, I will start Active Sky 1st, then minimize Sky Force only when I change the textures or cloud formations, then start P3d.  I do not have Environment Force.  I use REX Textures as well.

As you can tell by these responses, many simmers are somewhat confused and concerned about how to make these addons work to their fullest.  It can truly be a challenge to activate these sophisticated programs as the developer intended.  Manuals don't always help with the many possible combinations of programs working together.

Stan

 

PS......By the way, as soon as I clicked on SkyForce TODAY (May 9), a MAJOR UPDATE was announced.  The update totally removed the version I bought yesterday with a new one.  I'll now go see what seems to be new.

 

Edited by spilok

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, spilok said:

I use REX Textures as well.

Not needed if you are using REX SF.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Not needed if you are using REX SF.

Maybe not, but REX Texture Direct also deals with runway markings, wet runways, and runway lights.  Correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, spilok said:

Maybe not, but REX Texture Direct also deals with runway markings, wet runways, and runway lights.  Correct?

Yes, but for default airports. I don't fly into default airports so I would not use any of my precious SSD space to REX TD. There's also a bug that affects runway lighting in P3D v4. Light color goes unchanged. It was something I reported in the REX forum in the very beginning. I doubt that it has been fixed.

Edited by DJJose

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks.  Deleted REX TD and things look much better (no cloud conflicts) and smoother.  FPS seem a little up as well.  18 gigs saved!

 

Stan

Share this post


Link to post

If you’ll guys forgive by asking this a little of topic :

what is the disadvantage by lauching ASP4 /ASCA after P3D has been loaded ?

( I use a multi pc WidevieW setup and have multiple ASP4 which I start after everything in my real size cockpit has been loaded, so the weather updates execute at the same time ... )

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

Since I installed the cloud textures and don't use the weather engine I never run SF for a flight.

Good when you use EF as you don't need also SF to run.

Bad when you don't use EF because you loose the cloud MODEL sync function of SF.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...