Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No VR support means I won’t be buying it. 

• Like 2

I am totally looking forward to getting this product. Some of the features are revolutionary in X-Plane such as actual 3D clouds and dynamic snow coverage. 

Posted (edited)

Finally! Excellent. I've been following this for a very long time. Thanks for the heads-up!

5 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

No VR support means I won’t be buying it. 

That wasn't what he asked... 

Edited by Anders Bermann
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Been messing around with it for a bit and I've seen some absolutely stunning scenes, the lighting is gorgeous and under most conditions, those clouds are fantastic. However, the 'active' dithering you see, plus how it blends against mountains is very noticeable. Also not seeing a lot of vertical development. Seems to only do the usual white, thin sheet. It's a huge step up for X-Plane for sure but there's a lot of work to be done as well.

5PRfYRg.jpg

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Been messing around with it for a bit and I've seen some absolutely stunning scenes, the lighting is gorgeous and under most conditions, those clouds are fantastic. However, the 'active' dithering you see, plus how it blends against mountains is very noticeable. Also not seeing a lot of vertical development. Seems to only do the usual white, thin sheet. It's a huge step up for X-Plane for sure but there's a lot of work to be done as well.

5PRfYRg.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot. Any more you can share will be greatly appreciated. 

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't base too much off of these, just trying to make it look pretty (and pretty it is!). Lots of dithering, shadow issues, weird cloud cuts, performance reports seem all over the place. A lot of potential and I'll definitely be using it but it sure has some problems. Though I am maintaining my 30FPS locked, at 1440P and 2xSSAA.

zkeZrfo.jpg

OMkLYU4.jpg

Edited by Sethos1988
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sethos1988 said:

Wouldn't base too much off of these, just trying to make it look pretty (and pretty it is!). Lots of dithering, shadow issues, weird cloud cuts, performance reports seem all over the place. A lot of potential and I'll definitely be using it but it sure has some problems. Though I am maintaining my 30FPS locked, at 1440P and 2xSSAA.

Have you had a chance to try the dynamic snow coverage? If so, what are your thoughts?

Lots of folks across the forums reporting massive FPS/Performance hits, unless you're running a Cray Super Computer 

The performance is horrible! I am looking 70FPS + with default clouds outside of the city, with exenviro I am in the teens. Makes for lovely screenshots :)

I saw many peoples complaining the fps drop. Hopefully they can sort this out, otherwise this is a great add on.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

That wasn't what he asked... 

So what?

According to Laminar, VR users are now 15% of the total X-Planers and growing. Therefore, it is always useful to make it clear to the community when a product does not support VR (a minority of the add-ons nowadays). 

Moreover, for me, the lack of VR support also indicates the possible scarcity of development resources and/or that the product has been rushed, something that seems to be the case here. 

Edited by GCBraun
  • Upvote 1

Looks very nice, but, among other stuff, I really don't see a way for weather injectors to do the right stuff untill X-Plane properly allows for it at it's core, something that I believe will not be possible at least until the next version...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MikeT707 said:

Have you had a chance to try the dynamic snow coverage? If so, what are your thoughts?

Not in an environment where it builds up. I did spawn at a small strip in Norway with a recent report of snow and everything turned white when I loaded in. While the effect of snow and dynamically effecting the ground is visually good, it does look a bit extreme when it's turning everything white, every object in the scene. Plus, it doesn't make much sense in those amounts for a bit of reported snow. As with everything in 1.10, needs a bit (a lot) of tweaking.

Doing my test flight right now, I’m not impressed. Frame rate hit but still useable, back to X-Vision and ASX for the better look.

Can we keep this about the product itself instead of discussing why you don't need it or how you don't like it.

My main concern in terms of performance: does it take CPU or GPU time?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Colonel, i think it is more Gpu dependant than CPU.

I read in some facebook group, that for many, the performance problem is solved by lowering the Antialising in the settings of XP11.Perhaps it helps in something.

So I did a few test runs.

Performance is sketchy. Why increase of GPU load isn't a great concern on a 1080ti, some people might have to dial back on their AA or resolution. GPU load isn't a major issue here. But there is CPU load increase that's partly related to the way X-Enviro draws the scenery (it draws further than vanilla X-Plane under the same conditions, there is less fog), and that poses a real problem to anyone who already has their CPU maxed out with Autogen and traffic. Expect 10-20% additional CPU load depending on conditions (mainly visibility).

As for the visuals, well. There is potential, as there has always been with X-Enviro. It creates stunning vistas at times. However, 1.10 should BY ALL MEANS be considered a beta release - it's ridden with visual glitches and artifacts. The clouds are ok from a distance, but horrible up close, they don't blend well with terrain at all and flicker when they try. The other old advantage, better sky/atmosphere/scattering isn't existing anymore considering X-Vision, which does a better job at these. Only the sun glare really impressed me here.

Overall, it's an instant uninstall. Considering this version has been in private beta for months, I am sceptical we'll see major improvements on these obvious shortcomings in the short term. The reliance on CPU time alone is a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Considering that most high end  video games use 3rd party SDKs for the clouds and sky conditions, trying to do 3D clouds from scratch is going to be a big challenge. The companies that have developed these SDKs have decades of experience in fine tuning the algorithms and coding. It's the same rationale that ED and LM used for 3D trees. SpeedTrees have been around for a while and are an industry standard. Why bother to recreate something that took  years of experience to do?

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

So I did a few test runs.

Performance is sketchy. Why increase of GPU load isn't a great concern on a 1080ti, some people might have to dial back on their AA or resolution. GPU load isn't a major issue here. But there is CPU load increase that's partly related to the way X-Enviro draws the scenery (it draws further than vanilla X-Plane under the same conditions, there is less fog), and that poses a real problem to anyone who already has their CPU maxed out with Autogen and traffic. Expect 10-20% additional CPU load depending on conditions (mainly visibility).

As for the visuals, well. There is potential, as there has always been with X-Enviro. It creates stunning vistas at times. However, 1.10 should BY ALL MEANS be considered a beta release - it's ridden with visual glitches and artifacts. The clouds are ok from a distance, but horrible up close, they don't blend well with terrain at all and flicker when they try. The other old advantage, better sky/atmosphere/scattering isn't existing anymore considering X-Vision, which does a better job at these. Only the sun glare really impressed me here.

Overall, it's an instant uninstall. Considering this version has been in private beta for months, I am sceptical we'll see major improvements on these obvious shortcomings in the short term. The reliance on CPU time alone is a deal breaker for me.

All of this means I'll not buy it yet, I may in the future if they overcome the many problems, I have ASXP so I'll wait and see what HIFI Simulations bring out in the future.

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Considering that most high end  video games use 3rd party SDKs for the clouds and sky conditions, trying to do 3D clouds from scratch is going to be a big challenge. 

Well, for the record, SkyMaxx Pro has had 3D clouds for a while now. It's VR compatible too, at least in the spec sheet (I don't have a VR rig so don't know how well that works).

But then you get people complaining about the draw distance of SkyMaxx clouds at high altitudes, which is probably a frame rate trade-off. We're still in early days with full 3D cloud modeling, and X-Plane hasn't even touched full 3D weather system rendering like a series of discrete CBs in the distance (my pet peeve). Maybe our computer rigs just aren't strong enough yet to get everything we want.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that others are doing 3D clouds and VR. I'm looking forward to see what ActiveSkyX will do in this area when they roll out their cloud depiction add-on.

10 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Well, for the record, SkyMaxx Pro has had 3D clouds for a while now.

Does it? To me, it looks like 'rotating' textures - same system as FSX/P3D uses... Which I wouldn't call 3D, to be honest. No matter the marketing hype.

• Upvote 3