Sign in to follow this  
nas123

My next flight will be in MSFS2020

Just now, simmerhead said:

Why does it matter? I guess you weren't calling FS9, "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight". 

I always called it either FS9 or FS2004. 

I doubt if anyone using FSX called it FS2006 or MFS2006

It obviously matters, when using the proper name, instead of a thumbsucked one!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

10 minutes ago, rocketlaunch said:

MS (Microsoft) FS (Flight simulator) 2020 (Microsoft said it would be released in 2020?!). 

& they call it Microsoft Flight Simulator -- no date added! 

FS2004 was the 9th sim release,(hence the FS9 name),  FSX was the 10th (X is Roman for 10) Then they adding numbers or dates , as you can see by the insider site!

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Mine will be in FS9 / FS2004 / "Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight"

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

We have a good idea how the MSFS 2020 will look like. The visual effects and the basics of the sceneries are there, in the videos and screenshots. Which concerns me the most (and other simmers) is how the engine behind it will deal with weather, physics, performance etc.

The aspect that makes me excited about it is the visuals, as it's the only thing we can talk with some facts to base our arguments (video and screenshots).

Visually, the MSFS 2020 will be a big step forward. 

• Like 2

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Guys,

Are we really arguing over the name of a yet to be released sim? Lets please stay on point. 

Thanks,

-Bill

• Like 4

Not arguing at all, Bill, just a clarification of facts.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 minute ago, Wobbie said:

Not arguing at all, Bill, just a clarification of facts.

LoL, is that whats it's called? I've gotten a complaint that the thread was getting off topic, hence my post.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the content and features aspect of the new SIM, rather than whatever MSFT decides to call it. 

• Like 4

Well to get back on topic, my next flight will be in P3D4.5, and I'll be flying in that sim even after MSFS2020 is released no matter how good it ends up being, simply because of the addons I've bought coupled with FSE.  That said, if MSFS2020 is the best thing since sliced bread AND if third parties produce content like crazy then I do expect the day will come where I'll migrate solely to the new sim.  I've left FSX and FS2K4 behind long ago, I'd wager P3D will be the same someday.

Looking very forward to MSFS2020 potentially taking the crown as the best flight sim of all time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Looking very forward to MSFS2020 potentially taking the crown as the best flight sim of all time.

I think you're right.  After all, it IS Microsoft.  They've made some good flight simulators.

Ever since the earliest days the Flight Simulator franchise was more than just a flight simulator. They were always pushing the envelope one way or another, and I remember a time when a PC clone was considered compatible if it would run the current version of Flight Simulator.  This new sim is part of a technology showcase for several new products Microsoft is involved in.  I think they're going to do it right.

15 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

I said I would put all my purchases for other sims on hold but after a few weeks already I just had to do some flying and I just had to get that Arrow... 😉 I can't imagine not flying until MFS is out...! 

I suspect there will be a lot of people in that particular boat. 😄

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 hours ago, Noooch said:

You don't get it, that's fine. But as you said, simming is very personal and if you look at youtube streamings, you will see youtubers perfectly happy with some sort of settings or configs you wouldn't be happy with. So I think the majority writing on this topic is not happy enough with their current sim without going brankrupt with enhancements addons. On the other hand, the trailer showed us incredible features we couldn't have been dreaming of like worldwide photoscenery or stunning volumetric clouds in a real simulator in the vase sim!

The word "bankrupt" means something different for each of us, of course. But I haven't spent that much on my XP11 installation.

The only payware scenery I have installed is two of the Orbx TE packages and just one addon airport. I run one weather plugin (ActiveSkyX). I have maybe seven payware aircraft I rotate between, flying two of them most of the time. The total for all those addons is roughly $150 USD for scenery and utilities, and $230 USD for payware aircraft. That's $380 USD total.

Anyone who can afford the hobby of flight sims can probably afford that without being bankrupt, especially since it doesn't all have to be purchased at once. I bought all that over a period of a couple years. It doesn't include things I've bought and no longer use, which could double or triple the amount, but for the sake of this discussion I think it's relevant to discuss what I'm using now. And sure, not everyone would be satisfied with just what I'm running, and might want more. But this is a pretty decent setup for state-of-the-art flight simming.

What's expensive and could really bankrupt me, is the hardware needed to run my sim and its addons at maximum visual quality, and on a higher resolution monitor than I'm using now. That's where the real money goes in my flight sim hobby.

What concerns me about some of the enthusiasm for the new MFS is that people get excited about what they see in the trailer -- "incredible features we couldn't have been dreaming of like worldwide photoscenery or stunning volumetric clouds in a real simulator in the base sim!" and might be assuming they'll install MFS and see all that with their current computer. Maybe if you have a state-of-the-art rig with an RTX 2080 ti GPU, but I sure don't have that (my specs are listed below).

To be clear, I do believe it's important for sim developers to push the envelope for hardware requirements. X-Plane has been doing that with RAM usage over the last few years; you need at least 16 GB and 32 GB+ is better. And of course MFS will likely have fall-back settings to ramp the eye candy down for those with lesser hardware. I just don't think we should be assuming that we're going to get what we see in the trailer without the kind of hardware used to produce it. Repeating the point I made above in this long-winded post, it's the hardware that makes this an expensive hobby, not so much the addons.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

The only payware scenery I have installed is two of the Orbx TE packages and just one addon airport. I run one weather plugin (ActiveSkyX). I have maybe seven payware aircraft I rotate between, flying two of them most of the time. The total for all those addons is roughly $150 USD for scenery and utilities, and $230 USD for payware aircraft. That's $380 USD total.

Dear Lord I envy your willpower and frugalness.  I don't even know how much I've spend on flight simulation addons and equipment over the decades but I am confident in stating that it is well over $1000, much of which is outdated now and of no value to me at all.  Other than the fact that I enjoyed all of those purchases immensely and will continue to buy flight sim addons for foreseeable future.

Just not until MSFS2020 comes out now.  :)

I have no doubt that some people have spent more money that might be considered reasonable.  That's their choice.

I added up my purchases since I got FSX and it comes to $808, some on sale, some as update prices from earlier versions, some no longer works.  There is $943 in controller hardware and that doesn't include having to buy USB versions to replace the game port versions.

I haven't bought ANY scenery;  I don't fly the same areas often enough to have much use for it and there is considerable variety around the world.  I've bought aircraft and various utilities including upgrading Active Sky several times.

I'm certain I'll be buying aircraft for the new sim.  Probably not any of the other stuff and my controllers should work. 🙂

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

23 minutes ago, Mengy said:

I don't even know how much I've spend on flight simulation addons and equipment over the decades but I am confident in stating that it is well over $1000, much of which is outdated now and of no value to me at all.

You've hit the nail on the head! All of the people talking about how much money they have invested in their sim of choice are fooling themselves. They were mainly purchases, not investments. I'd be surprised if many of the things (other than hardware, maybe) bought over the years are still in regular use now. When I look at some of the aircraft and scenery packs I bought, which were state of the art at the time, many are no longer even installed on my system because they look so dated. I'm looking forward to seeing what this new sim will offer which is truly original and groundbreaking (fingers crossed).

• Like 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

40 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Dear Lord I envy your willpower and frugalness.  I don't even know how much I've spend on flight simulation addons and equipment over the decades but I am confident in stating that it is well over $1000, much of which is outdated now and of no value to me at all.  Other than the fact that I enjoyed all of those purchases immensely and will continue to buy flight sim addons for foreseeable future.

Just not until MSFS2020 comes out now.  🙂

Well, I was careful to point out that my list was what's currently installed, not everything I've bought over the years. That would be a small fortune, yes!

Also I'm flying X-Plane, which is pretty solid out of the box and doesn't need a bunch of addons to patch it up, other than a weather plugin. If you want Ortho scenery you can make it yourself. The big factor though, is that until the last year or two, we XP11 users didn't have as wide a choice of payware scenery and planes as there was in FSX/P3D. And we still don't. I'd be spending more on aircraft models especially, if there was more to choose from.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor