Sign in to follow this  
SierraHotel

I will not fly again...

Well I did get that "I want to fly an aircraft" vibe after seeing the MSFS trailer so I fired up X-Plane 11 along with ortho's and EuropeX. After taking off I was immediately reminded why I abandoned that sim a while ago while waiting for a better version of X-Enviro (with volumetric clouds). The cloud, lighting and weather effects are just not very good, everything feels so washed out and dull. Then I thought of flying into a scenery area for which I didn't download ortho and well... I just turned it off, I couldn't bear it anymore. 

Last week I still had that "I want to fly an aircraft" vibe, so I downloaded AFS2 along with all the DLC I purchased (it took 150GB of disk space). I had some great memories of using it with my VR set, but since I'm a little tired of VR at the moment I fired it up on my 43 inch 4K monitor. Well that didn't last long, I was planning to fly from SF to LA to get an idea of what MSFS can bring (but on a larger scale), but then I saw the flat building-less textured terrain and the static texture water and it immediately came to my attention that I wasn't going to enjoy this for very long. I think I flew for about 10 minutes until I turned it off and uninstalled it. 

When firing up those sims after seeing all the MSFS footage and reading about the features it will bring I get the same feeling as looking at FS98 or Flight Unlimited 3 video's on YouTube. They bring back great memories, but you better leave those memories what they are and don't try to revive them.

So right now I don't have any flight simulators installed on my PC anymore, my only hope lies in getting MSFS to play around with in the near future. I don't think it will disappoint as it has everything I want from a flight simulator (on paper); great clouds, lighting and weather effects, a flight model that feels realistic and most importantly global orthographic scenery coverage with water, buildings and trees without the need to buy several TB worth of harddisks and spending weeks to download all scenery tiles. If it delivers this I will never look back.

• Like 1

I'm still flying with P3D for one reason only: Flight Sim Economy.  And because of FSE I'll likely still fly in P3D even after MFS is released next year.  I'll probably fly a lot more in MFS of course, but I'll need both.

Now, if and when FSE is made compatible with the new MFS, well that will certainly be the day I uninstall P3D.  I've already decided to not buy anything more for P3D, no more scenery nor planes, and if P3Dv5 ever comes out I'll be sticking with my current v4.5 instead.

My flight sim purchases from now on will be centered around MFS.

I stopped in early August although it was not 100% due to MSFS.  I do think it probably put me over the edge but I was just getting bored with it (31 year simmer) and tired of trying to tweak every little thing to get it to look half-decent and trying to deal with broken products that should not have been released, etc..  I think the timing is good with MSFS to take this to the next level.  I have actually been using American Truck Sim and Euro Truck Sim and some other sims as they allow me to sit for 30 minutes and get my fill.  I felt like I was wasting too much time lately in P3D with the FSL 320 taking 40 minutes to get in the air. I know, I don't have to do the boarding, ATSU, etc but it was just feeling stale.  I tried going back to GA along with AIrHauler but even that didn't help.  In fact, I opened P3D a few days ago and after using these more modern sims it just seemed very sterile and performance seemed even more disappointing than usual.  If I was still thoroughly enjoying it I would not stop due to the new MSFS. I guess I just hit another wall with it like I tend to do every few years although I have been simming pretty steadily for the past 6 years.  I give credit to P3D, esp V4 as it did keep me going for a longer streak than usual!

• Like 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I'am with Chris and Jude, too drastic too soon.....

• Like 1

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

I think stopping flying is a very shortsighted move personally.  What we've seen is promising for the future but doesn't add up to a total replacement for what we have available now.

Basically, Im not willing to totally give up my ATC, Ai packages, complex aircraft, myriad of nice to fly GA aircraft and current addon list, for the promise of some pretty visuals in the future.

Not that I'm dissing MS, I'll just use them both in tandem until such a point as one exceeds the other in all aspects that I deem critical. (Note, that may be different for you!)

It’s not just the promise of pretty visuals, it will be the future replacement of everything you are flying now… including ATC, AI, Complex aircraft, VR etc. I think they are beyond promise and are well on their way and doing it…

I won't stop flying, but I already stopped enjoying the sims as much as I did before.  First, I got bored with P3D's unrealistic world so I jumped to X-plane due to orthos.  However, I'm getting bored with that as well particularly as fall approaches (remember X-plane is a one-season wonder, unless we use some pretty sub-par trees/snow).  So, with FS2020 on the horizon, every time I fire up X-plane, I think of what's around the corner and lose interest pretty quick.  Sad but true.  Maybe with any luck I'll get picked for the tech Alpha beta and beyond...it will be along wait otherwise.

I predict the simmer who say they are consigning Prepar3d and X-Plane to the recycle bin now, will be the same ones who say that MSFS 2020 didn't come close to living up to expectations when its released.😁

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I predict the simmer who say they are consigning Prepar3d and X-Plane to the recycle bin now, will be the same ones who say that MSFS 2020 didn't come close to living up to expectations when its released.😁

just like MS Flight😂

• Like 2

I hope this new title meets your expectations when it hits the market, because there will be some really disappointed people. I've seem some bold statements at.this early stage, but this one is the strangest.

Edited by DavidP
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

David Porrett

Well, I can't really understand what people expect from flight simulation. As a r/w pilot it should be a SIMULATION of FLIGHT for me which means PILOTING an aircraft that comes as close as possible to my A2A and the real Cherokee in performance and handling, not necessarily optically. Mostly FS seems to be regarded as a simulation of environment without coming close to any realism of flying. Even as a very experienced pilot you have no eye for scenery while climbing or on approach (if you don't prefer autoland...). Personally I love flying into beautiful cloud formations, but you concentrate more on the airspace around you than on ground only. 

So I expect that P3D and X-Plane will remain the preferred FS when it comes to more realistic piloting. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

How-To ... Start enjoying your current sim again:

• Most important one: immidiately STOP watching FS2020 footage(!)
  • Download and install the following package: http://josef.havlik.sweb.cz/downloadenglish2.htm  It will give you the very earliest versions of the subLOGIC and Microsoft flight sims
  • Try to fly around in any one of them for about 30 minutes
  • Get some coffee
  • Do some more 30-minute flying in a sim of your choice from the above package
  • Get out and do some walking (preferably in the rain)
  • Get some more coffee
  • Once more, do some 30-minute flying in a sim of your choice from the above package

Then...fire up your current sim with all the bells and whistles and behold...(drumroll)...you will love it again!

You're very welcome.  😎

Edited by rheinis
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

8 minutes ago, Pegaso said:

Mostly FS seems to be regarded as a simulation of environment without coming close to any realism of flying. 

So I expect that P3D and X-Plane will remain the preferred FS when it comes to more realistic piloting. 

Where on Earth did you get that idea?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arthur42417 said:

just like MS Flight😂

The only reason MS Flight failed, was because Microsoft FAILED it!!!:huh:

Edited by jpc55
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pegaso said:

Even as a very experienced pilot you have no eye for scenery while climbing or on approach (if you don't prefer autoland...)

Don't know how many autolands you have done IRL, but usually you are much more head down and much more cautiously monitoring systems performance during an autoland.

Looks like you completely missed the part about aerodynamics in the new MSFS and I bet that you will be completely wrong about the 'more realistic piloting' in P3D and x-plane.

• Like 2

Certainly, I think there is one area where MSFS 2020 will wipe the floor with all current offering and that is VFR. In this regard I do believe it will be truly out of this world.

My house is a fairly unique looking house and I am waiting with baited breath to see if my house in the sim looks anything like it does in the real world. If it does my jaw will be on the floor. But I am still not giving up Prepar3D or X-Plane.