Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Tell me again, please

Please, tell me again how all this wonderful, accurate, highly detailed scenery is NOT going to impact frame rates.  What I'm seeing in all the clips I'm seeing on this site and youtube is beyond my comprehension.  Is there some special computer configuration needed, or has Microsoft somehow figured out how to PRESENT this fabulous scenery without impact?

Of course, like others, I cannot wait patiently for this new sim.  I have the very latest computer from Jetline that works so very well with P3d.  Will I be able to move to the new Flight Simulator 2020 with no specific upgrade, or have they figured out a way for all of us to enjoy the new sim.

Stan

IMHO, I don't think it will be a graphics rendering issue so much (if a PC has a high spec video card), it will be the CPU calculation overhead of things like the 1000 aerodynamic calculations and number of other world elements (AI, animated POI, ATC, weather ) which will soak up CPU time.

GPU transistor count has increased by a staggering amount over recent years, but CPU performance has only crept up in increments.

Moore's Law has been pretty lax lately.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised how well MSFS performs due to it's updated coding and multi thread support, but we may still  find ourselves tweaking down the AI, object count and draw distance settings etc.

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

What we are seeing is not something magic. Being a gamer who has played almost all the latest offerings, you'd be surprised what is achievable now in terms of graphics. The tech around p3d/fsx evolved while they remained stagnant. I have seen similar reactions from other people who have only FSX/P3D/XP installed on their machines. Not to take anything away from the devs because I still think their engine is quite amazing even compared to todays standards and the visuals are jaw dropping. They simply decided to take the advantage of the raw processing power of todays hardware and the result speaks for itself. 

• Like 4

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Everything is compiled and built in the cloud already (Azure). Currently, when you fly around, the engine has to "build" the world around you, calculate mesh elevation for terrain, layer the proper tiles, display 3D models in space and move them. The computer has to work less and can be tasked to do more. You are trading network bandwidth for CPU cycles to some extent. Also as others have mentioned, more powerful hardware. 

Edited by kowen
  • Like 1

Sounds like "magic", doesn't it?  Can't wait. You wonder why no one else, besides Microsoft, has seen this avenue for flight simulation fluidity.

Stan

1 hour ago, kowen said:

Everything is compiled and built in the cloud already (Azure). Currently, when you fly around, the engine has to "build" the world around you, calculate mesh elevation for terrain, layer the proper tiles, display 3D models in space and move them. The computer has to work less and can be tasked to do more. You are trading network bandwidth for CPU cycles to some extent. Also as others have mentioned, more powerful hardware. 

At a basic level, the cloud is just acting as storage for the scenery as your PC always has. The data still has to be processed, layered, and rendered by your machine. It all comes down to a modern, more capable renderer, and not cloud computing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brandon Filer

37 minutes ago, spilok said:

Sounds like "magic", doesn't it?  Can't wait. You wonder why no one else, besides Microsoft, has seen this avenue for flight simulation fluidity.

Stan

They may have but Microsoft is in a unique place to exploit it.

Firstly they had a company working on the engine for quite some time for another project.

Secondly they already had the legacy of FSX behind them.

Thirdly they are a huge company that can throw a lot of money at project.

And fourth and perhaps most importantly and relevant to the engine they had unique access to technology and data to render the scenery, namely Azure AI and Bing maps, satellite imagery and photogrammetery and finally good streaming technology.

More frames will require more hardware. They are at least targeting today's highest-end GPUs and RAM. Really, they could target even better hardware since this sim is supposed to be around for a while. People will be sad they can't max out their sliders, but that's the price of progress. As for X-Plane, better hardware will also get you better framerates, but they are also a smaller team and have less resources.

Asobo's last game was oddly known for the number of rats (objects) that could be displayed on screen! So maybe that will help.

Does anyone have any links to examples of Asobo's work ?

Found it ....

https://www.youtube.com/user/AsoboStudio

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

6 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Asobo's last game was oddly known for the number of rats (objects) that could be displayed on screen! So maybe that will help.

A Plague Tale Innocence. Insanely good looking game. Finished it last week. And yes the engine was able to render hundreds and thousands of rats at a time. Also the game was using Quixel Megascans for textures of trees and stuff. I wonder if the devs have found a way to incorporate Quixel in their sim so that the 3rd party devs can take advantage of that tech in world building.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

7 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

More frames will require more hardware

No.

I have a slightly old hardware and every modern game is running better with much better graphics than "our old" sim.

So, it is not magic, just a kind of modern programming and use of ressources.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you are aiming flying in 4k you will need one of the new GPU's for sure, like an RTX, with alot Ram on board.

On 10/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, spilok said:

Please, tell me again how all this wonderful, accurate, highly detailed scenery is NOT going to impact frame rates.

I might be full of it but this is my opinion, in one of my posts I was able to play FarCry5 with high settings at 50fps with no hiccups whatsoever while flying the CS757 in a second screen and that was on my old RX580.

Think of it like PSI, P3D is running on old code with a max of 10 psi while 'modern' games are running on 50 psi code. So even if you have a computer that can pump 90 psi it won't help you in P3D but will in 50 psi code.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Which is why Microsoft want applicants to send their DXDIAG reports, so ALL types of hardware, laptops included, can be tested, as Microsoft DID say that they wanted the sim to run on as wide a range of hardware as possible.

So, as we will have to wait & see...

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Let's not forget that most of the time, what affect simulators performance the most, is the tangled layers of add-ons we wildly install.

If, "out of the box", this version of MSFS delivers landscapes and skies that are great enough for IFR and VFR virtual flights, I think many types of add-ons that were a must for previous versions of FS, will be obsolete for this one (i.e: clouds and environment add-ons, global scenery add-ons etc.)

But then the main add-ons, as we all know, fancy Aircraft add-ons, will certainly still affect performance depending on the complexity of their cockpits...

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998